Author Topic: love my pit barrel but have a question  (Read 2139 times)

Offline albertabbqguy

love my pit barrel but have a question
« Reply #-1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
Hey there all I am new to this site as a member but have been checking it out from time to time for info and I finally decided to sign up as I am curious if any of you guys happen to have tried the bbq guru  party q or their digi q

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: love my pit barrel but have a question
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
Have not tried on on a PBC...Have not needed it. But, I do live in a mild climate - you might benefit from it. But I would try the pit as it comes first, and see what others here have found to work in tuning it for colder climates.

And - you may want to wander over to the New Members thread section and post an introduction. You will find that helps folks tot familiar with you. Mention this thread - and ask for their input there as well.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rickmort

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
agree with TeeSquare on both points.  Definitely  check the forum out thoroughly and if you are having issues give it time, there is a lot of knowledge here that all are more than willing to share.  See how it goes without any mods.  Secondly, post in the new member forum, this forum is built on trust of the posters, trust that if there is time spent on a newbie, that in time they will add value down the road.  Posting and giving a little bit about yourself at first, will go a long way when just coming here at first for info.  I say all  this because I am not yet to the point where I add value, but I was in need and found some awesome advice from everyone, and I attribute that to the above.

I have not use the PartyQ or anything but PBC how it comes.  I worked through my issues (primarily with initial lighting), and am very happy and fine tuning my cooks.  I would also be interested in knowing more from anyone that can add value to this post as well.

Welcome!

Offline albertabbqguy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
I have done 5 cooks on it and I am actually thinking that I may get a second one mostly just because with my friends when I do BBQ my friends can demolish a brisket....  And yes I have had issues with the timing of starting stuff

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
I'm with T and Rick on the PBC - but you have to know, I am a curmudgeon - a  bit "old fashioned"...  ;) ;D I love my PBC and just do what Noah and Amber tell me to do. You WILL find some much more adventurous folks here with some great ideas. Have fun and post pictures!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:45:53 AM »
Hi welcome .
I am using the bbq guru digi q on my reverse flow smoker for the last 3 years .
it is one of my best investment , it makes my smoking on my RFS a pleasure .( i was planning to buy a pitmaster IQ but there service is a shocking ) .

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
I you want to experiment fine, but for the first few cooks I would use it as it was designed. Noah got it right when he designed the PBC.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]