Author Topic: On the fence  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Trunks817

On the fence
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
For the past few weeks I've been doing some research.  I've been stuck on either a Traeger  or the PBC.   Does the PBC cook too quickly to taste the smoke if you add wood chips or would it still be similar to the type of flavor that a  traeger puts out?

Thanks guys!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: On the fence
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:11 PM »
For the past few weeks I've been doing some research.  I've been stuck on either a Traeger  or the PBC.   Does the PBC cook too quickly to taste the smoke if you add wood chips or would it still be similar to the type of flavor that a  traeger puts out?

Thanks guys!
Go with the PBC, from what I hear it will do what you want and since you can add wood chunks you can adjust the smoke the way you want it

A pellet grill does not add much smoke flavor even on low setting you would still need to add an A-Maze-N smoker tube if you want a lot of smoke.

Plue the Traeger controllers are not that good and ou may wind up replacing a few before getting one that is good.  I have gone through two myself on my Traeger/home built grill             

Just my 2 cents   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
Two thoughts:

1.  Drop by the new member section and introduce yourself.  Welcome to the forum  ;D
2.  You're kind of "apples and oranges" on these two potential purchases.  I own one of each and use them for vastly different types of cooking.  Both are very versatile, but both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas.  Thus I have a question for you:  What type of cooking will you do most? 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Trunks817

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »
I typically do a lot of ribs and flank steak on my gas grill but I have been looking at something to enhance the flavors of the meat.  My friend has a traeger and I enjoy how the flavor comes out.  I do cook burgers, steak and chicken as well and depending on how easy it is to set up and get cooking I might try to replace my gas grill with the pbc.  I would probably use the traeger to compliment my gas grill if I go that route.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
If you don't go with the PBC you might kick yourself if you ever taste anything cooked on one. You get the best smoked flavor you could ask for. I don't have my pellet grill anymore....I would trade my PBC for any pellet grill I know of . I wouldn't trade it for anything....well maybe a Shirley.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »
A PBC is a power cooker. Sorta like an in between a smoker and a grill.
Take it from there.

If you want low and slow, PBC can do that but with a few tinkling.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline jburns32

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
Also could not decide between the Traeger and the PBC. Decided to go with the PBC and am glad I did. Mostly cook ribs, chicken and pork butt and have had little trouble. I suggest saving some money and go with the PBC.

Offline DonR9

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
I typically do a lot of ribs and flank steak on my gas grill but I have been looking at something to enhance the flavors of the meat.  My friend has a traeger and I enjoy how the flavor comes out.  I do cook burgers, steak and chicken as well and depending on how easy it is to set up and get cooking I might try to replace my gas grill with the PBC.  I would probably use the traeger to compliment my gas grill if I go that route.

I own a PBC and an old 4-burner Weber natural gas grill. My nephew has a traeger on which he's cooked quite a bit for me. I understand that the traeger can be used to sear things, but my nephew always cooks things that don't require searing. The food off it is very nice. But not so good as stuff off the PBC. My recommendation? Your gas grill, with "grill grates", for searing (like burgers and steaks), and a PBC for tri-tip, brisket, ribs, chicken, rack-of-lamb (my favorite), and anything else you want succulent and juicy. You get a very nice and subtle "smoked" flavor. If you want more, you can always add some wood. Of course, as a PBC owner, I'm biased. So take my advice with appropriate grains of salt
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »
Having a PBC i cannot say enough good things.  I haven't used it as a grill for burgers, I have a gasser and weber jumbo joe (mainly tailgating but if I want a charcoal cooked burger I use it).  With that being said, the grease fog smoke taste isn't for everyone and takes some getting used to to get the coals burning well.  If you go with the PBC just make sure you have a hot bed of coals and you will be good to go.

I have never had a pellet grill nor have had food off of one, but the PBC is a fine piece of cooking equipment.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
The PBC is a great choice but the Traeger is an entirely different type of cooker.

My best chicken I get from my PBC but my best ribs are from my pellet cooker.

I suggest when you can afford it to get a Traeger next. It is nice having different cookers to have variety.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
I agree with Mike. Having a pellet grill and a PBC (down the road) will really give you all the cooking options you can think of.

Do not worry about smoke flavor in the PBC. The Grease Fog that happens when the juices from the meat hit the burnt coals underneath is a flavor profile that most other smokers can not duplicate.

Get the PBC and don't look back  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
I typically do a lot of ribs and flank steak on my gas grill but I have been looking at something to enhance the flavors of the meat.  My friend has a traeger and I enjoy how the flavor comes out.  I do cook burgers, steak and chicken as well and depending on how easy it is to set up and get cooking I might try to replace my gas grill with the pbc.  I would probably use the traeger to compliment my gas grill if I go that route.

The pellet cooker will give you much more flexibility across a wider batch of food opportunities.  The PBC will give you an intense charcoal flavor and heavy smoke if you use flavor wood properly in it (easy to overdo this).  I like both my pellet machines and my PBC but the pellet cooker will do a lot more.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline amshepar

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
A PBC is a power cooker. Sorta like an in between a smoker and a grill.
Take it from there.

If you want low and slow, PBC can do that but with a few tinkling.

If you do tinkling on the PBC it might affect the flavor of your meat!!!  LOLOLOLOL

Offline Cinredman

On the fence
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
Simple answer, GET BOTH :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
If your only going to have one grill.  I would go with the pellet cooker, its a lot more versatile.  If your just looking for something to smoke in, go PBC. I have a PBC, I like it a lot.  I use it for ribs, pork butt, whole chicken, things like that.  Doing stuff like, burgers, steaks, and basic grilling its not so good at.  I have a Weber kettle for that.  I did just cook a 7.5lbs pork butt in 8 hrs  this weekend in the pbc.  It was 17*, windy and snowing.  It came out great, and everyone loved. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite