Author Topic: Adding wood  (Read 2240 times)

Offline boyer513

Adding wood
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
What is the best method for doing this ?
Ohio
Down by the river

Offline hikerman

Re: Adding wood
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
I add wood ( usually one sometimes two small pieces ) on top of the coals once they get going, and right before hanging the meat and closing the lid. If you want more smoke on the PBC add just one more piece, and see how that works for you. Better than adding too much......you can't undo too much smoke.

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:06:03 PM »
It is easy to overdo smoke by adding wood to a PBC.  Hikerman is right -- take it easy.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
I can't see where you would want to add wood. For butts I use 50% kb 50% apple chunks.... For chicken straight Stubbs....Ribs Stubbs with a couple of apple chunks. I spinkle a coat of lighter fluid and let the coals get hot then stabilize before putting meat on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:06:59 AM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
I used to lay the chunks right under the lit coals.
With the PBC, you don't want bellowing smoke from chunks. Let them burn and give out just a hint.

BUT, you really do not need wood in there.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline boyer513

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
I just want a little more than the charcoal grill flavor it produces, not a lot just a hint.
Ohio
Down by the river

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
Then you should add just one small piece on top before the hanging of the meat. Afterwards assess the taste and act accordingly!  Good luck!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
I just want a little more than the charcoal grill flavor it produces, not a lot just a hint.

one small chunk (preferably not under the dripping meat if you can help it) and you should be fine.

I have gotten the Kingsford with the specs of either apple-hickory or mesquite in them and they work nice in the PBC  ;)

Kingsford also has hardwood briquettes which are nice and have more of a wood profile to em
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
Best advice I can give you is:  KEEP A JOURNAL, or at least a record of what you cooked/smoked, date, time of day, weather, recipe of what you cooked INCLUDING ALL SEASONINGS, FUEL, etc.    Invaluable IMHO

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Best advice I can give you is:  KEEP A JOURNAL, or at least a record of what you cooked/smoked, date, time of day, weather, recipe of what you cooked INCLUDING ALL SEASONINGS, FUEL, etc.    Invaluable IMHO

Great advice and if I might add:  "For all your cookers" this is vital....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline viscera912

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 12:20:16 AM »
for my longer cooks i use chunk.  for my chicken drummies, breast, or salmon type cooks ill use handfuls of chips.  for example, for a batch of drummies i may use 2 handfuls of mesquite.  i cook a lot of east indian seasoned chicken and i/family love the mesquite with this.  thus 2 full handfuls does the trick for me.  however, if i do a brisket ill do 3 chunks of pecan.  i agree with the above mentioned, make logs and adjust accordingly!  have fun!

Offline amshepar

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »
I always add 3 large chunks of wood when I wan't smoky.  I add it right after the 20 minutes of letting the coals get hot.  I just lay them on top of the coals.  I've never had an issue with too much smoke, or charred wood smoke flavor.

It's also very easy to do it this way and that was important to me.  I used hickory for my red meats, apple for my chicken, wings, and breasts, and a mix of both for whole Turkeys.