Author Topic: cold weather PBC!!!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline SNIPERFX

cold weather PBC!!!
« Reply #-1 on: January 14, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »
I have a competition in St Louis on Jan 30/31st.  It will probably be 15-20 degrees.  Windy and crappy.  It is called Freeze-Q for a reason.  Anyone have any great tips?  I have cooked in freezing weather before.  Pain in the butt, if I do say so myself.  The cold is not so much an issue as the wind that saps the energy.  Would anyone have pics of a wind break they built, or one that was purchased, perhaps?  Thanks in advance...
DEFCON 4!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: cold weather PBC!!!
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:43 AM »
Get a good bed of coals established and wrap the PBC with a welding blanket.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:36:20 AM »
Consider a wind break also. It can be  2 or 3 panels of plywood, hinged together - like a "dressing screen". Make it a couple of feet taller than the PBC. Set it a foot away or so ( safe distance but close enough to be effective) and place it so that it blocks any wind. You may need to weight it - or brace it if the winds are too great. But a wind break can be a tool that you can use in a number of applications.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline BBQBrit

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
i am in the St. louis area and have not tried using my PBC in colder weather yet!  I was thinking about asking on here for any tips - looks like there are some good advice answers coming in -

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
I am in the STL area, and have been using the PBC in the winter for a couple of years.  This past weekend with 17* and some light snow, the barrel ran at about 250 for 6.5 hrs, then dropped slowly over the next two hours to 200.  So if your cooking PB, or brisket you might need to add some coals half way threw.  If its just ribs and chicken, you should be ok.  You might need to crack the lid a little here an there for 10 min.  I have never used a wind block or anything on it.  A wind blocker is not a bad idea though.   
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Bob c cue

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
I have a competition in St Louis on Jan 30/31st.  It will probably be 15-20 degrees.  Windy and crappy.  It is called Freeze-Q for a reason.  Anyone have any great tips?  I have cooked in freezing weather before.  Pain in the butt, if I do say so myself.  The cold is not so much an issue as the wind that saps the energy.  Would anyone have pics of a wind break they built, or one that was purchased, perhaps?  Thanks in advance...
I'm from St. Louis and would like to come out and see the competition and see you and the PBC in action. Can you provide more details (location, times, etc.)? Thanks and good luck!