Author Topic: Adding Wood Chunks  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Kona

Adding Wood Chunks
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
So far I haven't added any wood chunks to my PBC. I wanted to try various meats just with the charcoal. I'd like to try adding some wood but was curious as to how many chunks is enough for the PBC? Do you soak the chunks? Do you place the chunks on after the initial lighting process is complete? Thanks for any info :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline hikerman

Re: Adding Wood Chunks
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »
Kona I would only add one chunk the first time and see how you like the taste. If you want more smoke add two next time. But remember you can't take away too much smoke. I think 1 is usually enough depending on time of cook. No soaking, place on coals just before you hang the meat. Good cookin'! 8)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
NEVER SMOKE WITH WET WOOD!!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell (Well actually I sorta did). Wood doesn't smoke till it's dry so you're not getting more smoke; you're just delaying the actual smoke waiting for the wood to dry. Until then you're making steam mixed with nasty stuff (like creosote). It adds flavor but not any flavor you ever want added.

Note to reader: The reply above is provided as a public service by the LTBBQ "Blast From the Past" archives.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
NEVER SMOKE WITH WET WOOD!!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell (Well actually I sorta did). Wood doesn't smoke till it's dry so you're not getting more smoke; you're just delaying the actual smoke waiting for the wood to dry. Until then you're making steam mixed with nasty stuff (like creosote). It adds flavor but not any flavor you ever want added.

Note to reader: The reply above is provided as a public service by the LTBBQ "Blast From the Past" archives.

Lol..hahaha!  What the Turtle said!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »
I remember back on the Char Broil forum the turtle set me straight.  8)   Keep your wood dry my friends.

In the PBC, I like the idea of one chunk max. Easy to oversmoke in a upright barrel. I have laced my charcoal with chips throughout and I get just enough smoke flavor also.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Like Hikerman and Ko hona says ...one dry fist size chunk. I usually put mine down in the charcoal before lighting.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Kona

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I love that smoke flavor. The charcoal is awesome but I want a little more. I have apple and hickory chunks from my last smoker to use. I'll normally use hickory for pulled pork / ribs and apple for chicken. I would love a little more smokey flavor to the wings I made last night.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Adding Wood Chunks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »
Can somebody check on the Turtle? I think he may have imploded? I too soaked wood chips in my electric Brinkman in another life :(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline viscera912

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »
I haven't tried the blending the chips and charcoal technique or putting the chunk below the coal.  Usually I put it on the top right before putting meat on.  My question is, if you put the chips and or chunk on the bottom, doesn't it burn off pretty quick during the 15-20 min initial lighting period, rending the smoke useless?

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
...if you put the chips and or chunk on the bottom, doesn't it burn off pretty quick during the 15-20 min initial lighting period...

Option 1 - Use a chimney starter to start the charcoal until it's hot enough to cook with. Put the wood chunk(s) in the PBC's charcoal basket, then pour the hot (ready to cook with) coals on top.

Option 2 - If you start the coals in the PBC charcoal basket, don't spread them all the way across the basket (leave space for a wood chunk or two). Put the wood in when the coals are ready and use something (like maybe some long tongs or the rebar rods) to push the coals on top of the wood chunk.

I'm sure there are other ways to make it work but those two come immediately to mind.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:57:37 AM »
I agree with the Turtle. Wet wood steams and dry wood smokes.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
I haven't tried the blending the chips and charcoal technique or putting the chunk below the coal.  Usually I put it on the top right before putting meat on.  My question is, if you put the chips and or chunk on the bottom, doesn't it burn off pretty quick during the 15-20 min initial lighting period, rending the smoke useless?

Are you lighting with the lighter fluid method or charcoal starter?

If lighter fluid just bury the chunk under the bed of coals and light as usual.

If charcoal starter then just pour the lit coals over the chunk.

The wood will smolder and not combust. Being on top of the coals exposed to more air might cause the chunk to combust and flame.

IMHO only one small chunk will be needed.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline viscera912

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
tried the big chunk under coal when lighting......yeah that is exactly how I'm gonna do it from now on, much better continuous smoke production!!!

Offline Kona

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »
I'll be trying a chunk of apple wood tonight for my wings, I'll put it below the coals, soak with lighter fluid
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
I added one small chunk of apple wood under the coals in the center of the basket, soaked the coals with lighter fluid and that's all she wrote. I made wings and it was the perfect amount of smoke, I could definitely taste the difference over just using charcoal. Any more than one chunk I think would be too much, for wings anyway.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC