Author Topic: Got some work in today  (Read 1615 times)

Offline scottv

Got some work in today
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
bought a trimmed brisket on sale yesterday. Seasoned it with Black's seasoning over night.
came out a little dry for whatever reason but still good flavor.

threw a couple potatoes on after I took off the brisket

then I added a pichana to slice up for lunch for the week. Seasoned with Smitty's BBQ seasoning. Both BBQ seasonings were from the historic BBQ places in Lockhart, tx.

and of course when I was 3/4 of the way slicing I noticed I sliced it the wrong way. Oh well, it will still make a great sandwich

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Got some work in today
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:54 AM »
Looks delicious!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:27:53 AM »
Scott, that brisket has a good color and a good smoke ring, but it looks like it had all the fat trimmed off of it. I'm almost to the point of not trimming briskets at all lately. It seems that the more fat you leave on them, the moister and juicier they turn out. Especially when you smoke them for a long period of time until they get to 205 degrees or so. I have been taking them up to as high as 212 before and they still came out really juicy and really tender.

And, by the way, you can easily make Smitty's rub from Lockhart yourself. It is only equal parts salt and black pepper with a very, very small pinch of cayenne pepper thrown in. Got that recipe from the horse's mouth.....a very talkative horse that was making it in the back. That was the day that we were meeting teesquare and his lovely wife. He was late because he is a speed demon and had to take a little time to visit with the local police. He left from San Antonio and apparently decided to take the scenic route through some small towns known for speed traps. If he had gone the shortest way, the speed limit was 85.

Offline scottv

Got some work in today
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »
Figured the way it was trimmed may have dried it out. It was cheap enough and I didn't want to spend $50 on a brisket. Oh well. I bought the Smitty's rub from there. It was cheap enough. But I will remember that when I run out 8). I do agree taking the toll road from San Antonio is a lot better

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Excessive trimming of fat does not help. Meat grade also makes a big difference with brisket. Could have been a lower quality cut too.

I like slicing then placing back in a zip lock bag with all the juices overnight in the fridge. This seems to help recover a dry brisket... At least in my experience.

Brisket is one of those meats that is tough to get right and you can never completely master.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
to add to all this great advice, you just don't know when you grab that cryovac package if you got a good-un or not. I have had good luck tossing briskets in untrimmed. I have also had great results trimming em down to just meat. More rub and smoke coverage...but I do add a water tray for the trimmed cooks. I have also found a Jaccar taken to the flat while seasoning gives me good results.

Your brisket really looks good...great job  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »
I have tried both trimmed and untrimmed.  Seem to do better with just about 1/4-3/8" layer of fat left.    A trick I learned somewhere is to take the brisket out of the case and place it over your arm.   The more it bends the more tender it probably is.    I only buy choice briskets, too.   SO FAR, no really bad brisket, some just a bit better than others--more tender, more flavorful.    Keep trying, AND, keep a record of each one--invaluable to me to look back and see what exactly I did with the results.