Author Topic: What are you cooking for the Superbowl?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline viscera912

What are you cooking for the Superbowl?
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:05:43 PM »
Hi everyone, as we all gear up for next Sunday, what is on your menu for the big game? 

I'm gonna do a brisket with a bazillion wings/drummies in the PBC and a gazillion hot dogs on the grill!!

Happy cooking, and enjoy the game.  Btw, not a Bronco fan but this weekend I am!!

Offline scottv

What are you cooking for the Superbowl?
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:19:13 PM »
probably these. Country "pork loin" ribs cut up into about 1" squares. Wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalapeño. Then probably though some chicken wings on my infared grill and make hot wings

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: What are you cooking for the Superbowl?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:41:56 AM »
Who's playing in the Superbowl this year?

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »
I might do a pork butt, I haven't done one yet with my pit barrel
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »
I need to do seven or eight racks of ribs.  Easy in my old Traeger.  Was wondering if anyone ever "maxed out" and did 8 full racks in their PBC?  How long did it take? 

Hub

Ooops ???  Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious.

Gonna cook ribs.  Did I mention that  ::)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:00:36 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
Probably wings, and ribs or pork butt.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »

Won't you be there Don? Lol
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »
probably these. Country "pork loin" ribs cut up into about 1" squares. Wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalapeño. Then probably though some chicken wings on my infared grill and make hot wings

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dude, this looks super good.  I'm going to use beef.  Love the idea.  All my favorite food groups.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline SNIPERFX

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
nice!  very nice!!!!
DEFCON 4!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
We have a trifecta this weekend (Super Bowl on Sunday, Chinese New Year on Monday, and Mardi Gras on Tuesday) and SWMBO will be off-island on a chick trip for most of it so I have time to cook and smoke.  The to-do list for while she's gone includes smoked cheese, boiled peanuts, kalua pig, brisket, tri tip, and red beans. I don't know what I'm serving when yet but with that list plus the goodies already in the fridge and freezer I'm sure I'll come up with something.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline rickmort

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »
Not sure exactly, but whatever we make will include these little cuties thanks to Kona from this thread.  Thanks again!

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=16142.0

and here's my batch from tonight  ;D These were frigging awesome!

8 cups red hot sauce, such as Frank's
2 cups melted butter
1/2 cup mango habanero sauce
8 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
4 teaspoons black pepper
4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons seasoning salt

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »

Won't you be there Don? Lol

Mike, not this year. I only get to go once every three years according to our current arrangement with the NFL since 2006. The TV rights are rotated between CBS, Fox, and NBC. My next Superbowl, in two years, will be my 16th, but, who knows, I might be retired before then.

Here is a bit of Superbowl trivia I bet y'all didn't know. Fifty years ago at the first "meeting between the American Football League and the National Footbal League" in 1967 from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium, it was broadcast by both CBS (TV rights for the NFL)and NBC (TV rights for the AFL). This was before it was called Superbowl. When the second half began, NBC got caught in commercial so the teams re-did the kickoff.

A couple more current Superbowl L rumors or facts. This Sunday, CBS will introduce their new logo and will use 70 game cameras and 12 production trucks....and some "new" 360 degree playback technology that we have all ready been using for a couple of years. Also, viewers will be able to check out the quarterback's view from the pocket to other player's perspectives on the field, and it can be animated, too. This new technology could even influence the game. The officials are able to use any replays a network shows when they review a play.

Next year, Superbowl LI will be in Houston. I was hoping that it would be our turn because that would be like a home game for me, but if I'm not mistaken, I think it is Fox's year.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
We have a trifecta this weekend (Super Bowl on Sunday, Chinese New Year on Monday, and Mardi Gras on Tuesday) and SWMBO will be off-island on a chick trip for most of it so I have time to cook and smoke.  The to-do list for while she's gone includes smoked cheese, boiled peanuts, kalua pig, brisket, tri tip, and red beans. I don't know what I'm serving when yet but with that list plus the goodies already in the fridge and freezer I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Jeepers! I wish I knew you well enough (or at all) and I wasn't working so I could just drop in. Sounds like an excellent feast!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »
... knew you well enough ... so I could just drop in.

If any two people I do know will vouch for your lack of character, you're always welcome. I'd be careful about paying them much for the recommendation, however.

To (mis)quote von Moltke, "No menu survives the first trip to the grocery store." I couldn't find a decent brisket so that's probably not going to happen. I made a big pot of red pork posole stew to console myself and am continuing with the prep for the other stuff. You still have time to catch a flight!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline viscera912

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »
IR, thanks for that heads up, looking forward to the new angles, sounds really cool!!

im trying to keep my head on straight as 75% of my invites haven't signed up for anything yet......but have confirmed they are coming.  im about to go wild and de-vite them!!!