Author Topic: Super Bowl brisket. First time  (Read 2810 times)

Offline feniansons

Super Bowl brisket. First time
« Reply #-1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
Hi all. Trimmed full packer 12lb down to prob 10 lb was put on at 515 this am (had to cut a little off the end because it was too long for PBC...and steadily climbed to 160 by 740am. So I pulled it and was dismayed at not a big amount of bark having done Aaron Franklin rub after having slathered with oil.  So it's wrapped and back on the PBC. What's up w lack of bark on it. It had some in some sections. But not covered.  What can I expect from here on out? Did it climb to fast or is that the magic of PBC. discuss...

Offline feniansons

Re: Super Bowl brisket. First time
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
Update it's now about 3.5 hours later and at 203. This is interesting and I hope end result is same as 12 hour cook

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »
Don't have a PBC but my experience tells me it has not cooked long and slow enough for a good bark to form.    IF someone can refute that, please enlighten all of us   

Offline feniansons

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
Not being an expert I thought the same thing.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
Also saw where you slathered with oil? I am no expert with briskets but I never use oil on briskets or pork butts I think it will tend to keep from getting good bark on it. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline feniansons

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
Yes. Was following instructions from PBC video. Knowing it's optional I will omit next time

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
I like to use a light slather of yellow mustard. Helps adhere the rub and the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize. The PBC is a power smoker and will cook large hunks of meat faster than other pits. Check your brisket for doneness with a toothpick. When it goes in and out like butter you are done.

Well not done, pull the brisket and wrap it and let it rest for a couple of hours. The juices will re-distribute and you will have a tender juicy briskey....The Smoke is rooting for a good game today and for you to have a good brisket cook  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline feniansons

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
Ha! Thank you. As it stands now I'm holding it in oven at 170 per meathead at amazing ribs. Started it super early just in case now have a ton of time

Offline viscera912

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
im currently doing a brisket for superbowl as well and its around 149 right now.  ive learned to choke it down to 220 230 during entire cook.  like you, my first brisket and even subsequent ones were following noah's video.  i now treat it like a traditional smoke time and go low slow.  ive noticed also that in terms of bark the pbc won't give you that "bark" that i think you are looking for.  also, depending on how much liquid you put in your foil before cambro, that makes the bark a little more moist as well.  anyway, gl man and enjoy playing with it, you will be pleased i promise!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Ha! Thank you. As it stands now I'm holding it in oven at 170 per meathead at amazing ribs. Started it super early just in case now have a ton of time

I have had briskets held double wrapped in hd foil with a big bath towel for 3-4 hours and that sucker was still hot to the touch..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline feniansons

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
Viscera this is prob my 5th cook. Had quality end products all times but still haven't nailed it. Do you mean you choke it down by altering rebar holes w foil or damper closed even more?

Offline viscera912

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
when i do brisket i do a full packer and separate the point and flat.  i hang both on one rod diagonal in the barrel and put foil in the remaining 2 holes.  the bottom vent stays at its quarter open setting.  once you plug those holes you lose the "set it and forget" thing of the pbc as you gotta play with it a little.  sometimes ill crack the lid for 20 secs to inc airflow, sometimes ill pull a foil plug for a min or 2 depending on what temps are doing.  ive done this for the last 4 briskets and each time has been much better than the way noah shows on video.  nothing wrong with what he does just this way works for the low and slow crowd.  btw, i got this technique from others here on this forum and learned a great deal from the masters here!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
when i do brisket i do a full packer and separate the point and flat.  i hang both on one rod diagonal in the barrel and put foil in the remaining 2 holes.  the bottom vent stays at its quarter open setting.  once you plug those holes you lose the "set it and forget" thing of the pbc as you gotta play with it a little.  sometimes ill crack the lid for 20 secs to inc airflow, sometimes ill pull a foil plug for a min or 2 depending on what temps are doing.  ive done this for the last 4 briskets and each time has been much better than the way noah shows on video.  nothing wrong with what he does just this way works for the low and slow crowd.  btw, i got this technique from others here on this forum and learned a great deal from the masters here!

That it !!! I keep telling people you can cook "low and slow " on the PBC. Sometimes that's how I cook butts.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
Briskets can be very fickle when it comes to consistent cooking of any type.  Their mass and relatively even internal fat contest makes them very hard to predict what results will be.  You didn't do anything wrong.  Anticipating the amount of bark on a brisket is much harder than other cuts (e.g. pork shoulder chunks) because the distribution of the fat veins and seams is minimal.  If you got good flavor and tenderness, you won the game!  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »

That it !!! I keep telling people you can cook "low and slow " on the PBC. Sometimes that's how I cook butts.

Going to have to try this...
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed