Author Topic: Looking for some input..  (Read 3091 times)

Offline TexasRob

Looking for some input..
« Reply #-1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and have enjoyed reading the posts here. I'm considering adding to my collection of cookers by getting a PBC (I have a KJBJ, Masterforge, WSM). I have watched the videos and it looks to be a a phenomenal cooker. I was just looking to get feedback while in the early stages of deciding if this cooker is right for me...did you find it was an easy learning curve? On average how long does it take a for a rack of baby back ribs( I realize not every rack is the same size)? Do you apply apple juice to the the ribs during the cook? Is there anything that you dislike about the cooker after having used it? Stronger charcoal taste vs. another cooker that you may use?

I'd appreciate any/all honest feedback. Noah seems to have a solid product and I'm intrigued by the method of this way to cook. I'm just looking for input(good, bad, indifferent) before making a financial decision.

Thanks

Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline Kona

Re: Looking for some input..
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
So far I absolutely love mine. I used to have an electric smoker and this has been miles above that in taste and quality. So far I haven't even "smoked" anything except for one chunk of apple wood I added last night for some wings. So far I haven't had any issue learning how to use it. I've done wings, half chickens and ribs. I've grilled steak as well. When I did ribs, I did baby backs my first time out and they were easily done at the 3 hour mark. I'm in south Florida so my bottom vent is open only a 1/4 of the way per their instructions. I didn't do any wrapping, I lit the coals, let them get white hot, hung the meat and checked them 3 hours later. I sauced them and hung them back on for about 10 mins more to caramelize the sauce. I'll probably even reduce the time more to 2.5 hours as they were too tender for my liking. The cooker is built rock solid. I use a basic pizza pan below the charcoal basket to catch the ash. They also sell one that attaches to the bottom for easy clean up. I love the charcoal taste but I know it's not for everyone. Frankly it's been the best food I've made and I've made a lot of BBQ on my electric smoker. Below are come pics from my first cooks...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
I am a PBC fan, think they do a marvelous job on customer support, and would highly recommend this cooker to anyone who wants a simple approach and ease of use for smoking.  Considering the relatively low purchase price, it's hard to go wrong.

Like all of my other cookers, the PBC has strengths and weaknesses.  It is versatile enough that you could use it as your only cooker but if you do much grilling or you're obsessive about tweaking adjustments and precise temperature control you're not going to be 100% satisfied.

Strengths:  Ease of use, small footprint, easy to maintain.  The best thing that comes out of it is the halved chickens shown in Noah's video -- they aren't pretty but they are super delicious.  It'll do a quite passable rack of ribs but the bottom of the rack will be close to the coals and may get some unwanted char or even burn.  Flavor is fine (charcoal) but you'll notice some variations in rib texture and tenderness due to the faster cooking at higher temperatures.  Smoking is easy to accomplish.  Just be careful about adding wood chunks or chips since a little seems to go a long way. 

Weaknesses:  The high sides and non-adjustable grid made it only an average griller at best.  It works best when left alone to do its thing so if you want to mess around with tweaking the lid, removing the rebar, adjusting the damper, etc. you'll find limited or, often, illogical adjustments are all you've got.  Countless posts here admonish one to just leave the thing alone and let it cook per the instructional videos.  A WSM, it is not.  So, the learning curve is as long or as short as you want it to be.

Would I buy another?  Definitely.  Recommend it as an easy to use smoker?  Yes.  Use it in competition?  I did once and got a walk for some chicken but the capacity issue is a problem.  Have it as an only cooker?  No.  Think it is a good value?  Yes. 

Based on the other equipment you own it looks like a PBC might be complimentary and something you'd enjoy.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Thank you very much for the replies/input. The cooker looks fun to use and I do think it would be complimentary to what I have now. It would be used for recreation, no competitions. Mostly just the wife and I the occasional cookout with the neighbors.

Thanks for adding the pics and the Strengths/ Weaknesses. I hear nothing but good things about the cooker and the customer service if need be. Basically now it just comes down to if and when I decide to get one. Would still love to hear from others on their experiences with the PBC.

Thanks

Rob   
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
Texasrob I have a PBC and it's what I use 90% of the time. That being said when I had a 18.5 inch WSM years ago that we were using it like the PBC with the same results. I would never put down Noah and Amber's PBC ,because that is some fine folks. Being "thrifty" like I am, (wife call it tight)and I already had a WSM I would order a WSM hanger and use it like a PBC. If you do decide to go with the PBC you won't be sorry for sure . JMHO

WSM hanger:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7472-Expandable-Smoking-18-Inch/dp/B00FDOOOVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454972187&sr=8-3&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain+smoker+accessories

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:34:01 AM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline SNIPERFX

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
I am actually getting another one, and am headed to my second competition in April!!!  They are great smokers and really do well.. I have a large smoker that is great, but I can produce better Q in half the time.  I can cook 2 racks of St Louis ribs in about an hour and a half to two hours.  I did a brisket and a pork butt at the same time in 6 hours total.  Both in the PBC.  I am not a tweak freak per se', but I have figured how to tweak for time, temp, etc...  It is not hard to figure out.  Watch Noah's vids and realize that if you are at sea level to 2000 ft, everything is about an hour less.  It is that simple.  Did I mention that we placed 20th out of 40 teams in brisket our first time out!  With the PBC.  We would have done better, but the sauce was not disgustingly sweet enough.  I got it this time.. You do not have to have a 50k trailer to produce great Q.  I hope this helps...

[attachment deleted by admin]
DEFCON 4!

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback...loved seeing the pics and hearing all about the cooker. I live in Ft. Worth,Texas...so after reading about the damper setting, looks like I would be setting it to the first setting (1/4 open). As mentioned I have heard nothing but great things about the cooker. I will be coming back to this PBC thread to learn more from all the new posts from the veterans of the cooker. Really excited about this possibility now!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
  I'll add my two cents for whatever they are worth.  As far as ribs go, it took me a few times to find a system i really liked.  I tend to like mine super tender, so i settled on a version of the 3 2 1 method, but I knock 30 min off each stage.  Therefore I end up with the 2.5, 1.5, 30 min method.  Works fantastic for me.
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback...loved seeing the pics and hearing all about the cooker. I live in Ft. Worth,Texas...so after reading about the damper setting, looks like I would be setting it to the first setting (1/4 open). As mentioned I have heard nothing but great things about the cooker. I will be coming back to this PBC thread to learn more from all the new posts from the veterans of the cooker. Really excited about this possibility now!

-Rob

Rob -
The intake damper - is important overall...but,  we know that heat rises...so consider the exhaust holes ( the ones where the rebar rest when in place ) as determining the overall temperature more than the intake.
Think about it this way: You can supercharge and engine  - an force feed it ll of the oxygen and fuel in the world...but it is all for naught if your exhaust system is plugged or restricted. Make sense?

So, experiment with opening the intake more and less is a good thing to get to know your pit - but try restricting the exhaust holes by plugging one or two with a balled up piece of aluminum foil or a cork. Try cracking the lid to watch the PBC heat up dramatically, to almost what we consider "grilling temps" ( and you may find that by adding Grill grates you can actually get mild grill marks!)

AND...keep a journal, a pen, and a tape measure at hand. Measure your intake opening, and hopefully you have a Maverick 732 or similar that you can keep record of what settings on the intake and exhaust yield what temp ranges.

Lastly - experiment with different charcoals. While we use Kingsford Blue Bag ( KBB) as a "standard" for reference - you will find that lump charcoals can burn hotter, for shorter time than the briquettes.
Have fun!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
I truly appreciate all the input, feedback, and suggestions from everyone! Make a new guy to the site feel real welcomed!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline viscera912

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »

-Rob

hey rob im down 35 in burleson, welcome to the forum!! 

Offline Pappymn

Looking for some input..
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »

I truly appreciate all the input, feedback, and suggestions from everyone! Make a new guy to the site feel real welcomed!

-Rob

Just LTBBQ being LTBBQ. Great people here
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »

-Rob

Rob we started this place a little differently than other forums. We sent personal invitations to the founding members that we had observed their behavior and cooking on other forums. We wanted to create place where the consistent expected "feel" would be one of welcoming, friendly - and respectful behavior. That is unfortunately, becoming a diminishing quality on many discussion forums which seem to thrive on angst, and adversarial arguments on their discussion threads :-[.... Or there has been allowed to develop - as sense of "thread policemen" among the Moderators on some sites. We can happily tell you that neither of those qualities will ever be welcomed here.
Tho we have a tremendous amount of highly accomplished cooks and chefs on-board ( Including folks with true BBQ Doctorates, caterers, chefs, competition BBQ and steaks cooks, and authors of some fine books and contributions to periodicals...) you will NEVER feel that you are being "talked down to", or be-littled. Period. We leave any over-sized egos at the door. This is the place fro relaxation, and not having to defend yourself.
We do not all have to agree on exactly how we do things, or with what tools. But we should be able to always agree on the value of an open mind being the most important ingredient in personal growth - and learning. ;) Mutual respect just comes natural when you do not feel that there is a hidden agenda in someone's questioning  - or statements. ;)
Our philosophy here is that - even if you are just about to strike your first match to light a fire, your questions and concerns are valid - and valued. We ALL have to learn somewhere, and from someone. Why not treat the subject, and the experience of cooking outdoors with the fun and positive therapy effect that it is capable of providing to us all? Whether we are asking a question, or sharing experience - we all contribute to the value of LTBBQ - and create a legacy that we can pass on to others.
There in no place at our table for empirical "My way is the only good way" thinking.... Who can grow and learn with that attitude? NO ONE...Especially not the person that thinks they know it all.... :D :D :D :D
And - please remember - we mostly from LTBBQ now by invitation. So, if you know someone that would make a good "neighbor" - and loves to cook and share ideas - please invite them to join us here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:06:05 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
If you ever have any questions feel free to give us a call as well!  :)