Author Topic: How does PBC hold up to low temps outside?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Wulfwen

• Why go up to the top if you're not going over?
How does PBC hold up to low temps outside?
« Reply #-1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »
Howdy!

I am eagerly awaiting my Pit Barrel!  Woot!  However, Mr. Noah just advised me they are on backorder...not too long, should have it before Christmas.  :)  Pig leg is sounding lovely for Christmas!  However:

I live in Central Indiana, so the temperatures in December can go anywhere from -10 F (with windchill) to 40 F.  Does anyone have experience using a PBC in very low temps?  I'm considering making one of these screens, but I'm not sure if even that would be enough...  http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?30886-WSM-Wind-Screen

Many thanks for any help with this very pressing question!

Wulfwen

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: How does PBC hold up to low temps outside?
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:40 PM »
I am going to step out on a limb here - and hope that Noah and Amber don't swat me for poking my nose in hereā€¦.

I like the "idea"  of the screen -

As long as you can make certain that there is enough space between the screen an the PBC to not create a fire hazard. Bear in mind, that if there is wind - you will absolutely need to secure the screens it cannot blow into the PBC - and catch the silver colored bubble wrap on fire.

You do need to buy a cover for the PBC - to cover it when cold, to prevent snow and ice from shortening the life of the paint, etc.

Hope that helps!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:44 AM »
Also adding air will increase the temps so during the really cold times you might need to open up the air shutter more during the really cold months!

Although unfortunate for you I love hearing they are on back order. That means they are selling like crazy ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »
Like Mike said you might have to adjust the damper for the weather. I added a small fan to mine.
The hardest part about winter cooking is convincing yourself to go outside in those temps and start cooking  ;)

Offline Pappymn

How does PBC hold up to low temps outside?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Like Mike said you might have to adjust the damper for the weather. I added a small fan to mine.
The hardest part about winter cooking is convincing yourself to go outside in those temps and start cooking  ;)

Amen brother!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I made a simpler version of that for my water smoker years ago. The temps here in Alabama can get down to freezing in the winter.  :)

I bought a sheet of that insulation they make heating ducts out of. Foil on one side and insulation on the other, about 3/4 of an inch thick. I cut it into 4 pieces and used duct tape to secure 3 pieces so it could be folded up and moved easily around the smoker. The main problem for me was wind so it did an excellent job of blocking the wind and also helped to hold the temps in. I wish I had some pictures but it is long gone.

Oh... I made it so I had about 6 inches of clearance between the screen and the smoker.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:02:22 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
Here's a pic of the PBC Co. cooking last Friday in -4 degrees, it was pretty chilly but the food was awesome! On the menu, cedar plank salmon, duck and beef tenderloin. PBC Co. - Amber

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
Wind is the biggest factor in outdoor cooking problems.  Pure old cold temperatures can be easily compensated for via damper adjustments, fuel additions, etc. (uninsulated pellet smokers just burn more pellets, e.g.) but wind has a huge impact regardless of the ambient temperature.  It'll cool things down or even heat them up if it comes from the right direction and stokes the fire.  Or, if you've got a gas-fired smoker like my old Masterbuilt (gave that away) it can even blow the fire out.  In competitions, I've cooked in the rain and cold plenty often with no problems, but wind gives me the heebie-jeebies and is often the root cause of inconsistent results.

To the greatest extent you can, get out of the wind.  The "lee side" of the house or near a fence that blocks direct wind can be helpful.  On a few occasions I've used a sheet of plywood propped up very securely and just far enough away from the smoker so that the radiant heat doesn't affect it.  On some cookers (depends on design) a sheet of heavy duty foil wrapped around the bottom will help.

As to the PBC specifically, the vent at the bottom and the holes for the rods are the air control system.  I've never had a problem with cold or wind with mine (yet?) but the angle the wind is coming from is going to be the biggest factor.  Placement so that direct blasts don't hit those openings straight-on will help along with as much general wind blockage as you can get should do the trick.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
I remember Old Dave (he's from Indiana too) posting a pic of one of his smokers out it the very minus temperatures.  This was before the PBCs so it was some other upright smoker.  But he had some sort of insulating blanket wrapped around it.  I think it was a blanket to wrap hot water heaters, but I don't remeber perfectly.  You should be able to do that for the PBC as well.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Looks like the pic that Amber posted the cold weather is not a problem.......but wind is a whole different ball game........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Wulfwen

• Why go up to the top if you're not going over?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »
Wow - thanks, everyone!  I'll be sure to post pictures!   8)