Author Topic: First PBC butt...  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Pappymn

First PBC butt...
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Looks great Turtle! Could go for a sammie
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Braddymac

First PBC butt...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 02:04:44 AM »
I've been a big fan when it comes to using seasoning wood in my PBC.  I've had some pretty good results using 3-5 chunks on a cook.  My barrel is well seasoned and has a nice mellow smell to it when I'm pulling it out of the shed for a cook.

Question...  How new is your PBC?  Here's why I ask...

Over the holidays, I convinced a good friend to buy her husband a PBC.  Then we flew to the west coast and spent New Years with them, and I cooked 2 tritips on it.

I was utterly displeased with the results...  Not because anything came out bad, it came out awesome!  At 4am sitting by the fire pit we grabbed the last slices of beef, wrapped them in foil, and rested them on a log over coals to warm it up... Then ate them by hand....

It was good, but it was missing the depth of flavor I am used to from my PBC at home.  It was too clean!  I now realize that as I've cooked on my PBC and seasoned it over countless smokes using pecan, apple, cherry, and a wee bit of hickory, The flavor on the cooks improved.

I get awesome smoke rings, as good as most low and slow...  I get great, complex smoke flavor too.  Ive done tritip at home that was buttery with pecan smoke, a perfect pink from edge to edge.  I've done applewood smoked pork shoulder that left people raving.  My turkey this year for TDay had good cherry smoke flavor.

The only other difference I see is I add wood through the duration of the cook as needed.  On the hooks, it's easy, just toss another lump in.  With the grate, a bit more complicated.  I start with 1, 2 or three depending on the duration of the cook, and add from there as they burn through...

And I usually toss a lump or three in when my cook is finished but the coals are still hot, just to make the neighbors mouths water!  Hehe.

My 2 cents!  Enjoy your cooks!

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
First PBC butt...
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »

I've been a big fan when it comes to using seasoning wood in my PBC.  I've had some pretty good results using 3-5 chunks on a cook.  My barrel is well seasoned and has a nice mellow smell to it when I'm pulling it out of the shed for a cook.

Question...  How new is your PBC?  Here's why I ask...

Over the holidays, I convinced a good friend to buy her husband a PBC.  Then we flew to the west coast and spent New Years with them, and I cooked 2 tritips on it.

I was utterly displeased with the results...  Not because anything came out bad, it came out awesome!  At 4am sitting by the fire pit we grabbed the last slices of beef, wrapped them in foil, and rested them on a log over coals to warm it up... Then ate them by hand....

It was good, but it was missing the depth of flavor I am used to from my PBC at home.  It was too clean!  I now realize that as I've cooked on my PBC and seasoned it over countless smokes using pecan, apple, cherry, and a wee bit of hickory, The flavor on the cooks improved.

I get awesome smoke rings, as good as most low and slow...  I get great, complex smoke flavor too.  Ive done tritip at home that was buttery with pecan smoke, a perfect pink from edge to edge.  I've done applewood smoked pork shoulder that left people raving.  My turkey this year for TDay had good cherry smoke flavor.

The only other difference I see is I add wood through the duration of the cook as needed.  On the hooks, it's easy, just toss another lump in.  With the grate, a bit more complicated.  I start with 1, 2 or three depending on the duration of the cook, and add from there as they burn through...

And I usually toss a lump or three in when my cook is finished but the coals are still hot, just to make the neighbors mouths water!  Hehe.

My 2 cents!  Enjoy your cooks!
About how big would you say the hunks of wood are that you are putting in. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline hikerman

Re: First PBC butt...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Very nice looking butt Turtle!  :P  That's a far cry better than nice looking turtle butt!  Lol

Offline Braddymac

First PBC butt...
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
The chunks are typical of what you find in bags sold at Lowes or Home Depot..

Offline 4cornersmoker

Re: First PBC butt...
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Pulled pork looks very good Turtle. I love all the comments on how to bring up the smoke level on the PBC.
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.