Author Topic: Chicken Thighs  (Read 3952 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Chicken Thighs
« Reply #-1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Needed something for work tonight, cooked up some long grain rice with a dash of smoked sriracha salt and garlic butter. Tastes not bad  ;)

Now I had these chicken thighs I was going to do the other day and never got around to it so I got off my BUTT this morning and fired up the PBC. I mixed together Jans Rub with Tatonka Dust. 50/50 and gave them a good rub. I like both so who knows this might be the best chicken ever  ;)  Not that warm out but the PBC held a nice 230 degree temp. About 1 hour later I had some nice looking chicken thighs. Hopefully I can find time to eat them tonight at work. Its been a nightmare around there lately  :'(

Waiting for the PBC to get up to temp

All done 1 hour later
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:43:52 PM by smokendevo »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Chicken Thighs
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »
That is some good looking bird.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »
Oh that looks like some good bird!!! Nice color!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
You have beautiful thighs.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Chicken Thighs
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
Yardbird parts look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Great lookin' quarters but I got a couple questions...

... the PBC held a nice 230 degree temp.

Really?  I haven't ever measured it but I always thought the temp was in the 300-350° range (based, I guess, on a 16-pound turkey taking about 4½ hours to cook).

Also, I've always been told that you should run the PBC on a "full load" of charcoal which usually burns for 6-7 hours or so here. Being a frugal turtle I hate to waste all that charcoal by lighting it up for a one-hour cook, even if I fill the grill or hooks. Any comments/suggestions?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
looks good from here .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »

Really?  I haven't ever measured it but I always thought the temp was in the 300-350° range (based, I guess, on a 16-pound turkey taking about 4½ hours to cook).

Also, I've always been told that you should run the PBC on a "full load" of charcoal which usually burns for 6-7 hours or so here. Being a frugal turtle I hate to waste all that charcoal by lighting it up for a one-hour cook, even if I fill the grill or hooks. Any comments/suggestions?

Yup really turtle. I have drilled a hole in the PBC and added a long thermometer to the front of it. It reaches right to the center of the cooker.

Now with this picture that was taken in the summer with no snow and freezing temps, something turtles know nothing about  ;D I also get the same reading from my i-grill.
My elevation calls for the trap door to be closed as much as possible which gives me those low and slow temps.

As far as using a full basket of coals.....its not needed for small cooks. I filled that one up half way. Remember banker spend that money you can't take it with you.  ;)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »

Turtle you should run a full load of charcoal for consistent temperatures and cooking times. There are people who shut the air shutter and remove the rebar & block those holes after cooking with the lid on. This should cut off the air and the charcoal should go out. Then you can reuse it later. I am not 100% about this working however since you need it to be completely air tight for this to work.

My PBC always runs around 300F on a full load of charcoal when lit with lighter fluid. Devo happens to live in an area that actually gets way below 65F. I know that is tough to fathom when living on an island with such harsh winter weather but it is true ;) so I imagine in those really cold temps when running a less than full load of coals 230F is not unexpected. Opening up the air shutter more should increase those temps when it is cold out.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Chicken Thighs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »
Great looking chicken!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »
Yep, beautiful mahogany color on those thighs/legs!  Gonna be a nice break for you tonight!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
Chicken looks awesome!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
I have never blocked off the rebar holes but if I want to chock off more oxygen to the char coal i will block the bottom vent with a rectangle fridge magnet. It holds up pretty well to the heat and lets you adjust just how much air you want coming in. There is an adjustable vent you can buy for these on the internet. I know someone installed it on theirs but can't remember who  :-\  Maybe it was Mike but I'm not sure. 

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
Chicken looks real good.

Also like all PBC discussion :D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
Looks good, I cant wait til i get mine.   If you use the same amount of lit charcoal each time, wont the temp be the same?  So if you normally use 30 coals on 8lbs, use 30 on 4lbs.  The starting temp should be the same, just a shorter burn time. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite