Author Topic: 3rd cook pork butt  (Read 2643 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
3rd cook pork butt
« Reply #-1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:09:17 AM »
My third cook on the barrel was perfect.  I used about 3/4 chimeny to lite, which was about 50 briquetts.  1/3rd to 1/2 of the charcoal basket.  The temp came up to 260 in about a half an hour.  Thats where it stayed for close to 7hrs.  I cooke a 4.5lbs butt, foiled it 160 internal.  That took about 3hrs then it took about an 1.5hrs to hit 197.  Pulled it off and into the cooler to rest.  Barrel was still hot, so I oiled up and salted some potatoes and tossed them on the grate.  When those were done, I put on some beans with a handful of hickory chips.  I had a hard time getting the pork out of the cooler, it kept falling apart.  It pulled beautifully, had a great bark aslo.  I thought it would of lost some in the foil, but nope.  This was the best pork I have ever cooked.  So tender and juicey, we ate almost all of it.  The potatoes were great also, I love roasted taters.  I cant seem to post any pics of this one today  :(.  So you will have to imagine it, sorry.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 3rd cook pork butt
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
Sounds really good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
My third cook on the barrel was perfect.  I used about 3/4 chimeny to lite, which was about 50 briquetts.  1/3rd to 1/2 of the charcoal basket.  The temp came up to 260 in about a half an hour.  Thats where it stayed for close to 7hrs.  I cooke a 4.5lbs butt, foiled it 160 internal.  That took about 3hrs then it took about an 1.5hrs to hit 197.  Pulled it off and into the cooler to rest.  Barrel was still hot, so I oiled up and salted some potatoes and tossed them on the grate.  When those were done, I put on some beans with a handful of hickory chips.  I had a hard time getting the pork out of the cooler, it kept falling apart.  It pulled beautifully, had a great bark aslo.  I thought it would of lost some in the foil, but nope.  This was the best pork I have ever cooked.  So tender and juicey, we ate almost all of it.  The potatoes were great also, I love roasted taters.  I cant seem to post any pics of this one today  :(.  So you will have to imagine it, sorry.
I am with slaw and chips!!  :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »
If I close my eyes, I can see the horn and everything.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

3rd cook pork butt
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »

X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »

X2

Us northern folks who are just coming out of a deep freeze re-live our smokings dreams thru southern folks photos ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »

X2

Us northern folks who are just coming out of a deep freeze re-live our smokings dreams thru southern folks photos ;D

Just like during the heat of summer in the seep-south....they dream of snow ;) We all want what we don't have :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
Okay so I'm looking at pictures of my pork butt I did on my WSM and imagining it's beautiful.   :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
Hmmmm..unicorn pork..love it..I know it was good.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron