Author Topic: Newbie question...Chimney starter?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline getguinness

Newbie question...Chimney starter?
« Reply #-1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »
Hey everybody, brand new PBC owner here.  I have a question for the PBC owners who use a chimney to light their Pit Barrels.  Approximately how many lit coals are you using to light it?  20 or more?  Half a chimney?  I can usually gauge how much I will need to light on my kettle based on what I'm cooking, but I'm new to drum/barrel cooking.

Out of curiosity I'm thinking about trying lighter fluid since I've heard there is no fluid taste in the finished product if you follow the instructions correctly, but in the long run I'd rather use my trusty chimney.  I just want to make sure I get it right, as I understand that getting the PBC lit properly is one of the keys to its "set it and forget it" nature.

Thanks!

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Re: Newbie question...Chimney starter?
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

First, I would say light 20 coals and go from there. I wouldn't use half a chimney to get the PBC up to temp unless it was rainy/windy/cold. They seldom require more than 10-20 lit coals added to unlit to get the PBC up to temp and maintain it. Other PBC users here can recommend how many unlit coals to use based on how long you want to cook.

Second, I would never use lighter fluid especially if you are using a chimney. They are designed to use a paraffin wax cube, balled up newspaper or even paper towels wadded up & blotted with any kind of cooking oil. All of these will get your coals started in 10-15 minutes and will leave no lighter fluid taste.

I use the Weber starter cubes under my chimney. They are around $3-4 for 24 of them.  Here is a link to Amazon.com:  http://tinyurl.com/q2baffd

Newspaper will work, but it tends to leave ash residue under the chimney. The cheapest solution to chimney lighting is to wad up 3-4 paper towels, and blot some cooking oil on it from the bottle or dip in leftover cooking oil/grease. This does not require the paper towels to be saturated, just a few small spots of oil soaked into the paper towels will do. They also burn off 95% of the paper, so you won't have any of that to deal with. Good luck!
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline getguinness

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
thanks tnjimbob, my post may have been a little confusing.  I didn't mean I was using the chimney and lighter fluid together.  I was just considering using the lighter fluid method recommended in the PBC videos.   I use the chimney every time I cook on my kettle, and in the long run would prefer not to have to use lighter fluid.  I was just thinking about trying it out of curiosity since I've heard that if done correctly on the PBC you don't get the nasty taste that lighter fluid is known for. 

It would just be nice to have another option if it worked well. 

Offline getguinness

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the info on the coals.  I was thinking 20-25 lit coals would be enough, but was wondering what was working for other folks, since I'm new to this type of cooker.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:34 AM »
You want a top layer bed of white coals in the charcoal basket for best results. So what I suggest is to fill up the entire basket then remove the entire top layer of coals and light them in the starter. Then place the lit layer back on as removed.

Try to do the same method every time for the most consistent results.

And if it is extra cold or windy you can leave a rebar out or adjust the air shutter open a little to increase the heat.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline getguinness

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »
Thanks Muebe, that sounds easy enough. 

I'm starting to think I may be over-thinking the whole process.  I've wanted this thing on my patio for so long and now that its there it has my mind preoccupied.  I just really want my first cook on it to be great! 

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
It was measured out to be 40 to 50 coals.  I have had luck in that range.  I also use the lighter fluid method.  I have never had any fluid taste.  You need to use a good amount though.  Don'tgo light with it either.  Other wise it wont light correctly.  Also 15 minutes is the the key time to hit with the coals on either method.  If you do end up with a low temp, just crack the lid alittle for 15 to twenty minutes.  That is what has been working for me.   After a couple of cooks you will have it down, and love this thing.  The food I have made on this is great.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
I have had great luck with the lighter fluid method. It is fun and works like a charm everytime. Never thought of trying the chimney starter though, I think that might be geared more towards the UDS style of cooking.......give Noah and Amber a call and see what they say.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
Thanks for the info on the coals.  I was thinking 20-25 lit coals would be enough, but was wondering what was working for other folks, since I'm new to this type of cooker.

Hey there getguinness, thanks for the post! For best results when using the chimney method you are going to fill the charcoal basket full and then remove 1/4 of them (this is about 40) light those in the chimney for either 15 or 20 minutes depending on your elevation and then dump the hot coals on the coal basket in the PBC. Also, feel free to check out the video on how to light your PBC on our website and it will take you step by step. Thank you again, and always feel free to call us direct should you have any questions. PBC Co. - Amber

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:02:19 AM »
This works for me and no nasty starter fluid taste or smell. That stuff can't be good for you.  ::) Electric starter, let it roll about 5 minutes of smoke and drop the basket in place. It will take about ten minutes longer to get the coals where they are ready for cooking but you just have to plan for that.

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »
I have had great luck with the lighter fluid method. It is fun and works like a charm everytime. Never thought of trying the chimney starter though, I think that might be geared more towards the UDS style of cooking.......give Noah and Amber a call and see what they say.......

Using a chimney to light starter coals for the PBC is kind of a PITA.  I've found that good quality lighter fluid works just fine and leaves no oily aftertaste.  All the coals are ready in 20 minutes and you're cookin'  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline getguinness

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Thanks Amber! 

Hub - I was skeptical at first regarding the lighter fluid but I didn't notice any of the nasty taste that it is known for when I used it to cook our chicken last week.  I will most likely continue to use that method just because it is so simple, but I like the fact that I can use the chimney too if I don't happen to have any lighter fluid handy. 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
Thanks Amber! 

Hub - I was skeptical at first regarding the lighter fluid but I didn't notice any of the nasty taste that it is known for when I used it to cook our chicken last week.  I will most likely continue to use that method just because it is so simple, but I like the fact that I can use the chimney too if I don't happen to have any lighter fluid handy.

The trick is to use good lighter fluid like Kingsford and don't let the lighter fluid soak into the coals. Light them right away so the coals get going and all the lighter fluid burns off.

Matchlight is the worst charcoal for lighter fluid flavor and a example of why letting it soak in is a bad idea.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Its your body and what you put into it, I for one will not use starter fluid.

nobody likes charcoal lighter fluid.  It’s messy.  It smells bad.  It can leave a chemical taste on your food.  It’s also a dangerous inhalant.  Charcoal lighter fluid emits volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) when it evaporates and when it burns.  This causes air pollution.  Charcoal lighter fluid leaves toxic residue on your food.

So why should you use lighter fluid?   You shouldn’t.  Use a charcoal chimney instead, and light your BBQ grill with just a few pieces of wadded newspaper.  Yup, a charcoal chimney (also known as a chimney starter) uses newspaper as the starter fuel.  It’s clean, common and cheap.

Lighter Fluid Causes Air Pollution

The Pima County (AZ) Department of Environmental Quality has this to say on the toxicity of charcoal lighter fluid:

“Charcoal lighter fluid is made from toxic petroleum distillates, which produce volatile organic compounds that are an ingredient in ground-level ozone air pollution and can leave a residue on your food. Charcoal chimneys cost around $15, as opposed to $4 for each container of lighter fluid, but will last for many years.”

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
Personally, always been able to taste and SMELL lighter fluid back in the old days when I used it.   Switched to the newspaper crumbled up under the chimney, MUCH better.  Just don't use too much-a double sheet or a double and a single work best.   Otherwise the newspaper doesn't get enough oxygen.   THEN I found the propane lighter system for the chimney.  It works GREAT!   Used the smaller bottles of propane, easy to handle and gets enough charcoal going in less than five minutes to have the entire chimney ready in about 15-20.  Found mine on Amazon--relatively cheap, IMHO.    Only problem I had was one day I forgot to turn the burner off in time and I burned up my starter.   Now just use a butane lighter.   Easy nickels AND no lighter fluid taste or smell!