Author Topic: Ribs (sort of)  (Read 3135 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Ribs (sort of)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
That is an interesting cut of ribs, can't say I have seen them around our stores... they look delicious!

Same here... What are flanken ribs?   They look good...like they are made to grill / smoke.

Flanken cut is where they slice the ribs thinly across the bones. They are then grilled.

I have always known them as Korean Short Ribs since this is a method they have been using for their ribs. Marinated in a Teriyaki type mixture then grilled over high heat. They are so good!!!

Thanks for chiming in.  They are great smoked (with a simple S&P rub) at 250-300 for a few hours to let the fat render a little.  If you are into just eating plain thick cut fatty bacon, it is a similar experience only with beef.  They are also great for seasoning a pit.  :D  They splatter like nobody's business.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »
There's just something about bones with meat cooked around them.....brings out the caveman in us!  :P

Some of the best food in the world is the stuff you gnaw on and decorate your shirt with  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
I'd eat that! I had also never heard of flanken ribs but will look for them.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware