Author Topic: Herecy!!! I know, but I made an electric WSM.....  (Read 64737 times)

Offline DWard51

Herecy!!! I know, but I made an electric WSM.....
« Reply #-1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
For those who have seen some of my recent sausage & snack sticks posts you  know I had been using a 1,100 watt counter top heating element in the bottom of my 18.5" WSM for low temp smokes.  That little element would go up to 185 degrees so it was great for smoking at lower temps and then finishing snack sticks and such.  I had not modified the counter top heating element and it did still have the thermal limiter installed (I think I paid about $10 at Walmart).  I used a AMAZN pellet tray for the smoke source.

My goal is to have something that give me the option of a lower temp smoke that is also stable and controllable (more so than a small pile of charcoals).  Electric seems to fit that bill nicely and it also does not add moisture to the air like an LP conversion would (although LP would fit the control-ability requirement).  I wanted something that was not a permanent modification to the WSM and would not affect it's use as designed during charcoal smokes.

I bought a Brinkmann element thinking I could use it with a PID to make a damn nice unit for the WSM.  It fits, but the way the wire exits the metal plate under the element, it was an issue with my charcoal grate.  It would not simply sit on the grate or the fire ring.  Also I would have to cut a new opening for the cord to exit as the plug was wider than any of the vent holes.  So I kept this in the back of my mind thinking a better solution was out there.  But the Brinkmann was doable with modifications (and I had to build a controller unless I wanted full heat all the time).

Then one day was I was browsing replacement heating elements and saw a "universal" replacement element from River Country that was sold on Amazon.

Amazon - Universal Replacement Electric Smoker and Grill Heating Element with Adjustable Thermostat Controller

This unit had a removable controller and the element had flanges on both sides for bolting into a smoker.  It looks like a clone of the Old Smokey elements and controllers.  Only difference was the Old Smokey ones sold for around $70 a set and this one was $39.50 and shipped for free via amazon.

There was a photo showing the element measurements on the amazon page, and it should fit diagonally through the WSM door opening.  Ok, I'm a little ahead of my self on that point.  When I bought my WSM in 2005, the original door had a hairline stamping crack on the raised section under the knob. Smoke leaked out this crack.  Weber sent me a replacement, however by the time I received it a week or so later, I had used the smoker a couple of times and the smoke had filled in the hairline crack.  Also I'm a lot less anal about smoke leaks not than I was when I was a newbie.  So I had a brand new WSM door in storage.  My thought was I could bolt this element to the extra door and simply change out the door to switch from charcoal to electric and still have some degree of temp control without building a PID.   Sounded like a winner!

So fast forward a few weeks.  Element is here, I dug the "new" door out of storage (that involved a complete cleaning out of the garage - in retrospect it would have been easier to buy a new door for $20, but it's done).

So here is the electric WSM mod......

Heating element & controller (element is said to be a 1,300 watt unit).

Closeup of control unit - not "precise" in it's markings but it should due for the task intended.

Mark the WSM door for cutting.  I used the flange as a template.

Element installed in the door.  I used a Dremel tool with a flat cutting wheel to cut the opening.  Then drilled two holes for the 8x32 bolts.

I used stainless hardware to attache the flanges

Installed on the WSM.  Just swap out the door, turning the element diagonal through the opening.  Turn upright and close the door when clear.

For now the legs on the far end of the element are sitting on an extra charcoal grate on top of the fire ring.  I do have some flat stock I bought to make a U-bracket to extend them to rest on the bottom fire grate.  I left it like this for this test.

Element is well centered in the WSM body.

Clean look for the mod, and it can be reversed by putting back in the other door.

This is after 30 minutes of warm up with all vents open on highest setting. 

Should work great for snack stick and sausage.  I did also try it at lower dial settings.  It held 125 and 155 with no problems and should hold anything in between.   I have not taken this thermometer out and tested calibration in years, but I do remember it reads about 20* lower than both my BBQ Guru and Maverick probe at the food grate.  So I would think the 235* on the dial unit is more like 255* at the grate.   This should work great for what I want!!!

Yeah, I know.... that nice shiny door means I need to clean the rest of the smoker (outside at least).

Reason for edit: Fixed broken hyperlink
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:04:11 PM by TentHunteR »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Herecy!!! I know, but I made an electric WSM.....
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Looks really nice.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
Very clever... look out Tommy!   ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Very nicely done. Someone at Weber ought to pay attention to this......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
Excellent post.  This actually gives me a couple of ideas!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
Very nicely done. Someone at Weber ought to pay attention to this......

Heck, if Weber will throw a few items my way, I'll license the idea  8)  I think I'm going to call it the e-WSM mod.

I love the fact that all I have to do to go back to a stock charcoal WSM is change the door.  The add for the heating element said it worked from 65* to 450*.  I seriously throw the BS card on that high end number.  But I'm happy with 250* for what I want it for.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:54:20 PM by smokeasaurus »

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »
Excellent mod!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Nice mod and neat looking work!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
Absolute brilliance.  8)  Sparky should give this a whirl with his WSM's  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:52:45 AM »
Great mod!

There are people who live where you cannot use charcoal or gas and this is a good alternative!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
Pretty clever set up, so you are saying do a low and slow with this arrangement is good to about 225-250 correct ?
Cookin & Grillin in West Central New Jersey

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
I'm already wondering if you ship.  Got a 22 & 14 wsm.  I got extra doors for both.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

Yeah, I know.... that nice shiny door means I need to clean the rest of the smoker (outside at least).

No, what it means is that you get the door dirty ! ! ! !

Great looking mod!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Very clever... look out Tommy!   ;) ;D ;D
YEP, I got to out do this one  ;)

Nice mod
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline DWard51

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
I don't know if the element would work for a "regular" low and slow smoke.  If it's running at around 250* on an empty smoker, once you throw a mass of meat in there, it may be a very long smoke for something like pork butts. 

I was really looking for something to use for sausage and snack stick smoking.  I wanted to be able to hold lower temps and step it up through out the smoke.  Of course these items have cure in them and time is not so much an issue.  I had tried a small pile of charcoal and the bbq guru before.  It's a fine line between holding a low temp and choking out the charcoal with no oxygen.  Also throttling back charcoal makes it hard to get flavor smoke as well.

With this design I can use my pellet tray for the smoke source and dial in the approximate heat I want up to that 250* figure.  And unlike the hot plate mod, I no longer have to take the WSM apart to fiddle with the temp adjustments.

For a low and slow smoke of something like ribs or especially pork butts, I would put back in the stock WSM door and go with charcoal and the BBU Guru power draft like I have for the past 10 years.  It works like a charm.  This mod was designed to make the WSM more versatile and sausage friendly at lower temps.  I think it hits the mark pretty well.

The real beauty of this mod is, if you wanted to replicate you need an extra WSM door ($20 on amazon) and the universal replacement element ($40 also on Amazon), throw in $1 worth of screws and you are up and running with either the e-WSM mod or the unmodified charcoal WSM by just changing out the door.   Might be the best $61 dollars I've spent lately.