Author Topic: My new pellet grill shut down after 5 minutes - and no manual!!!  (Read 16164 times)

Offline Bluesman Bill

My new pellet grill shut down after 5 minutes - and no manual!!!
« Reply #-1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
I'm the proud owner of new Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill.  I've been looking forward to cooking on it since buying it on Craiglist earlier this week.

So I fired it up last night and was all set.  It was starting to heat up and then - boom - it just went out.  No lights no nothing.  I verified that the outlet in my patio is working.  I tried turning it on and off again and again with no sign of life. 

Having bought it on Craigslist,  i have no manual. 

Anyway - if anyone has a suggestion - or a manual - I'd greatly appreciate it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Pull the controller out. There is a fuse on it that is blown. There should be a spare fuse attached. Try another fuse. If that one blows it could be a bad igniter(hot rod).
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: My new pellet grill shut down after 5 minutes - and no manual!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »
Bill..just google your grill name and you will be able to find a manual online.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Bill, Outdoor Gourmet is a store brand for Academy Sports + Outdoors. Best we can determine that pellet grill is either a re-branded Traeger or a clone of it. There are two known issues with the grill right now, one of them being the fuses blowing. They have pulled it off the website and from the stores until the manufacturer can fix the problem. Call Academy Customer Service at  1-888-922-2336 and tell them about your problem. They should send out the electronics to fix it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Bluesman Bill

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  Impressed with how quickly you all responded. 

I called Academy and the customer service rep said they didn't even have any manuals - much less the parts, but he couldn't find any history of their work on this grill because they've removed it from their system. He did say he'll refer my story to the research center and see what they can dig up for me.

Meanwhile, I'll go take a look at the fuse situation!

Thanks again, y'all!

Offline Bluesman Bill

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
Well - I was able to find the fuse - yes it was blown. No replacement was there, so I went to home depot and got some replacements. 

Extra fuse 1 - again it cut off @ 3 or 4 minutes.  The pellets did ignite this time.  Asked my nephew for advice. He suggested maybe the auger was getting stuck or something. 
Extra fuse 2 - removed all the extra pellets from the hopper so I could observe the auger in action. No problems there.  I watched the heating element heat up again and the entire thing was glowing when it again cut off at @ 3 or 4 minutes. 

My theory is that it has something to do with the heating element.  Still don't know what to do about it and am awaiting feedback from Academy sports.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Sounds like a hot rod problem. You could disconnect it [plug with purple and white wires] and do manual light with some starter gel or a torch.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
Sounds like a hot rod problem. You could disconnect it [plug with purple and white wires] and do manual light with some starter gel or a torch.

Ditto on this. You can manually light it until you get a replacement hot rod. If you unplug the hot rod and get it going manually and the fuse does not blow then it is the igniter.

They probably got a bad batch of igniters from their supplier... It can happen.

To manually light turn on the grill with the drain pan removed. Wait for the controller to fill the firepot with some pellets. Then use a torch to get them flaming. Once they are lit replace the drip pan and grill then start smoking.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
So the torch lit pellets will start the un-lit pellets that come from the auger??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
So the torch lit pellets will start the un-lit pellets that come from the auger??

Yes. The igniter only runs for 4 minutes to get the pellets going then shuts off. Once the pellets are on fire the additional pellets will ignite.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
So then the rest of the cook happens with the burning pellets ingniting un-lit pellets and the fan under the fire-pot keeping them going??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
Smoke here is a picture of the Traeger firepot. You can see the igniter glowing red hot as pellets are entering the firepot from the auger. At the same time there are holes in the firepot sides that are forcing air(oxygen) into the firepot causing a vortex from a fan. This is what causes the pellets to burn at very high temperatures...

So once the pellets are ignited there is enough heat and air to cause any additional pellets added to ignite through the cook until you run out of pellets or shut it off.

The Traeger digital controller will add 15 seconds of pellets every minute or so when the temp is above what it is set at to keep the flame from going out. The 3 speed controller is simply that. Three different timing feeds creating a low, medium, and high setting.

Smoke is created as the pellets start to cool and smolder then more pellets are added and ignite... Then the process repeats.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:45:44 PM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Gotcha...thank you Muebe!!  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Bluesman Bill

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:56 AM »
Awesome troubleshooting tip.  I will try that tonight!

Thanks a lot. 

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »

They probably shipped with a bad batch of hot rods.   Same thing happened to my 2 grills (MAK & Traeger) when the hot rod went bad.  POOF goes the fuse.

I'd wager that a replacement hot rod from a Traeger dealer will fit in that grill.