Author Topic: 2015 Reverse Seared Christmas Prime Rib  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Hub

Re: 2015 Reverse Seared Christmas Prime Rib
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Oh my, I feel sorry for everyone who didn't get to eat at your house  ;D

This is an example of a perfect reverse sear performance.  Congratulations!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
Hi Everyone!

This year Christmas dinner called for prime rib from the pellet smoker.  I purchased an 11 pound boneless choice prime rib from Costco.  I was really looking for a "prime" grade but they did not have them.  We only had 6 people for dinner so I was looking for a prime rib around 6 - 7 pounds but ended up with the 11+ pounder because it had the best marbling of the selection in the case.

I tied with butcher's string and seasoned it with Montreal Steak Seasoning at around 5 PM on Christmas Eve, wrapped in saran and returned it to the fridge to get "working" overnight.  At 8:00 AM I pulled it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for two hours.  At 10:00 AM I put it on the Grand Slam with Hickory pellets at 230 degrees.  At around 2:00 PM I raised the grill temp to 270 degrees to speed things up just a bit.  When the IT hit 130 degrees in the dead center I pulled it and tented with aluminum foil and rested it for about 15 mins.  Following the rest I put it on the Weber gas grill at 500 degrees and seared the outside.  The total time on the Weber was just a couple of minutes and I rotated it to sear all sides.  The end pieces were medium well and the center cuts were what I would call medium rare (I did not take a final IT but it was around 135)

This was without a doubt the best prime rib we have had to date, not because of the cook but because it was an incredible cut of meat - especially impressed for "choice" grade - nice job Costco  :)

Total cook time on the pellet grill was just under 5 hours.

Here is what it looked like.

I now know how teenaged girls felt when they first saw Elvis or the Beatles perform....smokerjunky- - this one made a fat man feel faint..... :D :D :D NICE JOB!!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
Very nice job indeed! I'll bet that was a very tasty meal! ;)