Author Topic: Fresh Ham  (Read 1392 times)

Offline MoHuka

Fresh Ham
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
Hey gang I have a fresh ham and would like to smoke it for Easter.  Do I need to cure/brine first or can I just rub it down and put in the smoker?  Thanks for any help
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Fresh Ham
« on: March 12, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »
Kinda depends on whether you want a traditional cured ham or smoke-roasted fresh pork. For traditional, find TentHunteR's cider mill recipe. Otherwise, treat it like you would a shoulder.

Be advised you have just received advice on cooking pork suitable for Easter in Saudi from a Jewish reptile. Good luck with that.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
Kinda depends on whether you want a traditional cured ham or smoke-roasted fresh pork. For traditional, find TentHunteR's cider mill recipe. Otherwise, treat it like you would a shoulder.

Be advised you have just received advice on cooking pork suitable for Easter in Saudi from a Jewish reptile. Good luck with that.

You 'bout 43 kind uh wrong Turtle..... :D :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »

Scary!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »

You 'bout 43 kind uh wrong Turtle..... :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Turtle..actually have changed jobs so no more Saudi and home most of the time..only one international trip since last June and that was a week on Diego Garcia..will be spending Easter with family in Smithville, Missouri..my favorite place to travel to....
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide