Author Topic: Bought a PK grill today.  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Bought a PK grill today.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
Wayne the good news is this....... It's going to still be working long after your gone!
Learn to love it it will last forever!

Now he has to do over his will
Ha Ha that is a good one. ;D

I would be a good godfather
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline 70monte

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
Well, I broke the PK grill in tonight with some burgers.  They came out okay but were still a little pink inside.  I filled my small weber chimney with briquettes and lit it with a weber starter cube and waited until the top briquettes were just starting to turn white before I dumped them on the charcoal grate.  The small weber chimney holds about 35-40 briquettes depending if you heap them.

I had all four vents opened all of the way.  I cooked the burgers for 7 minutes on each side.  The outside was plenty done so I don't know if going a little longer per side would have been good or not.  I did stick a thermometer in the vent over the fire and the temp was only about 345 so it probably could have stood to be a little hotter but I'm sure the temps were a lot hotter at grate level.

I will have to do some more cooking to get an idea how this thing cooks.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
Hmmmm, I use the small chimney starter when I use my PK. I do wait a little longer in the winter for the grate and the grill itself to heat up. I use frozen patties about 1/4 lb. Were yours homemade? Maybe on the thick side??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
One thing you might want to consider.  The PK's cast aluminum body retains heat very well, conversely it hangs onto cold if outside temps are low. It takes awhile on these days to get the grill body heated up! When it's cold out preheat your grill an extra 15 minutes or so.

Offline 70monte

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
These were 1/4 lb patties not frozen from Walmart that were not very thick.  I probably should have let the grill heat up longer as suggested since the outside temp was only about 60 degrees and it was very windy.  I did notice that the outside of the lid was not very hot so that may have been my problem.

Even though my vents are pretty loose, even when totally shut, it didn't take long for the coals to go out with everything shut up.  That never happens with my Weber Kettles.

It will be a little bit of a learning curve with this grill but I will let it heat up longer on my next cook.  Thanks for the input.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Pappymn

Bought a PK grill today.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »
Get a good instant read thermometer to check for the doneness you like
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 09:58:17 AM »
Get a good instant read thermometer to check for the doneness you like

I agree with Pappy! With an instant-read there's no guessing, assuring you and your guests a healthy meal.
Wayne if it was 60F when you grill there would be no need to heat up the grill an "extra"  15 - 20 minutes. I used my grill thru the Winter, and when temps were in the 20's I found that after 20 minutes the lid was just starting to warm up. Upon opening it up, the lid was full of condensation.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
The thick aluminum does take a while to heat up in the winter...I think it is 1/4" thick. I put a foil tray on the bottom shelve if I use lump. Sometimes the little pcs  can fall out of the bottom vents.....just a heads up...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
Wayne, there's not many secrets to mastering this grill other than using it and tinkering to see what works best for YOU!
But one thing I can tell you that made life a little easier. I picked up 2 - 8 1/2" X 13" cake pans. I got them at a garage sale or pilfered them from Mrs Hikerman's old stock, depends who you talk to! ::) Anyway one got drilled out with a 1/4" bit for airflow, the other gets foiled and is a drip pan. After a cook 90% of the ash stays in pan, and can easily be dumped. The other gets it's foil wadded up, refoiled and we're ready to cook again. It also cuts down on any ash falling out bottom vents.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline 70monte

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
I do have a thermapen so I have that covered but to be honest, I never even thought to use it.  I will next time.

I have been looking around for a charcoal basket to use in the PK but have not found anything yet.  I do have a bunch of the new style Weber charcoal baskets and two sets of the old wire Weber charcoal baskets so I was thinking of trying one of those.  I may just do the cake pan think that Hikerman suggested.

I used regular kingsford for the cook but that is what I mainly use all of the time.

Thanks for the input and ideas.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Pappymn

Bought a PK grill today.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
I do have a thermapen so I have that covered but to be honest, I never even thought to use it.  I will next time.

I have been looking around for a charcoal basket to use in the PK but have not found anything yet.  I do have a bunch of the new style Weber charcoal baskets and two sets of the old wire Weber charcoal baskets so I was thinking of trying one of those.  I may just do the cake pan think that Hikerman suggested.

I used regular kingsford for the cook but that is what I mainly use all of the time.

Wayne
I would really struggle to cook great food without my Thermapen, which is red, and is the fastest
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »

Wayne
I would really struggle to cook great food without my Thermapen, which is red, and is the fastest

I know Pappy's wisdom is right on 'cause I have a red 'pen too and it is fassssst!  :D

Offline 70monte

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »

Wayne

I know Pappy's wisdom is right on 'cause I have a red 'pen too and it is fassssst!  :D
Mine is Orange and I thought that was the fastest color. LOL.

2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »
I did my second cook tonight, cooking some thin boneless pork chops.  They turned out good but I almost got a couple of them a little too crispy. 

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
When I do thin poke chops, I usually use the leftover Kingsford from the previous cook. They are past their heat curve and are good for thin chops or brats and dogs....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven