Author Topic: Smoked Chicken, Pork & Andouille Jambalaya  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smoked Chicken, Pork & Andouille Jambalaya
« Reply #-1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
Apr 28 2016

I love Cajun and Creole style foods but I can’t remember the last time I made Jambalaya. There are a lot of versions out there to try. It is usually made with seafood, chicken or pork; or any combination of these. The other common additions are onions, garlic, sweet peppers, celery, parsley, rice and some stock and that is usually chicken stock.

I found a recipe I liked from Chef John Folse, a well-known Louisiana Chef. It was for a chicken, pork and Andouille Jambalaya. My butcher just lately started making fresh Andouille sausage. It is probably not as hot as a Louisiana style but better than any store bought I can get around here; and it is fresh without all the preservatives.

I bought a package of chicken thighs; Miller Brothers Amish chicken from IN. I got 4 bone in CS ribs, pork butt, from my butcher. I had a pound of the Andouille froze that I forgot to thaw out. I decided to smoke all the meat first for the Jambalaya to give it a flavor boost.

Wednesday before I did chicken stacks for supper I smoked the meat for my Jambalaya. I seasoned the CS ribs and chicken thighs with some Penzey’s Cajun seasoning. I got them along with the frozen Andouille on the Traeger at 195 deg. for an hour and then went to 225 the last hour. The Andouille was done in about 1 ½ hours and the chicken and pork went to 2 hours. After cooling they all went in plastic bags and in the fridge overnight.

My wife went on a bus trip today so it was just me and the dog! After lunch I went through Sandman’s carry out and got some good beer! You need beer to cook!  I put a heaping cup of Uncle Ben’s rice in my rice cooker to use; when it was done it went in the fridge. I cut up the Andouille, pork and chicken. I removed the skin from 3 of the breasts and nuked it in the microwave until crisp to add it too. I just used two of the CS ribs and some flap meat from ribs I had cooked for the pork.

I wanted to reduce the recipe to about ¾ so I made some adjustments. I cooked it in my 5 quart CI Dutch oven on my glass top stove. By the time I had the rice done and the meat prepped it was 2:30 and time for my daily call to my 94 yr. old mother.

After I talked to Mom I prepped all my veggies and started to cook. First up was browning the pork in a ¼ cup of oil, I used grape seed oil, and then adding the chicken and Andouille sausage. I removed most of the grease and then started adding the veggies and cooking per recipe.

All in and on the last half hour with the lid on; I knew it was going to come out a little wetter than it should so the last 15 minutes I removed the lid to cook down some. It was a little wetter than most Jambalayas I have seen. I had a hard roll and toasted it and topped with butter.

I think it was about 6:30 when I finished and had a big bowl of the Jambalaya. I added some Cholula hot sauce and that was delicious if I do say so myself.

Next time I would cook 1 ½ cups of rice to use along with the quart of chicken stock I used; but then after the leftovers set in the fridge overnight the rice will soak up most of the liquid.

Smokin Don

Link to recipe  http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork05.htm
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Smoked Chicken, Pork & Andouille Jambalaya
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »
WOW, plate me or should I  say "bowl" me up some please! :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Ohhhhh boyyyyy.... that looks and sounds delicious!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
Ohhhhh boyyyyy.... that looks and sounds delicious!

a big X2  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Smoked Chicken, Pork & Andouille Jambalaya
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
Oh yeah
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
X4  All I can say is two bowls please!
Nice work Don!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
x5  Please!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
OH MY! That looks delicious. I'd eat all that.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 05:01:13 PM »
Looks really tasty!
I have some shrimp thawing for a shrimp jambalaya I'm making this weekend.

BTW, I'll tell why your jambalaya came out soupy but don't be offended. You put the rice in raw and cook it to finish and it absorbs all that liquid.

Last week I got a phone call about cooking a jambalaya I do once a year for a fundraiser. Below is a post about last year's cook.

Well, it was another successful Frantic Frog cook. I got back home yesterday afternoon and unloaded the Sequoia except for the big cast iron pot. It's takes two strong men or three to get that thing out and back on the ground. Lol....... Everyone who came out to the event enjoyed some good eats if I must say so. There was a front that came through Friday evening that brought some serious rain, thunder and lightning that I guess scared away about a hundred triathlon participants from showing up Saturday morning. That had registered but didn't attend. It was a gorgeous Saturday morning for such and event there at Goose Pond Colony! We did have some food left so we delivered some to the local fire station and to the Scottsboro police department. They were very happy recipients of some good 'ol Louisiana cooking.

Below are some pictures from the cook/event and I have more on the phone I need to upload to the computer.

Got out there a little after 6:00 am and got set up and the started cooking right away.

Over 35 lbs of onions cooking down. I was told you could smell this at least a half mile away. Lol......

Things got really busy so no in between pictures but here's the pot of jambalaya during the cooking or the rice into it.

Big pot of red beans!

Jambalaya is done!

We were able to catch our breath for a couple of minutes before the volunteers and participants swarmed us for eats.

A bowl of each food.

Below are a few pictures of the lake behind the cottage before I left Monday morning.

The park grill with a makeshift charcoal starter we made and used to grill some chicken breast for fajitas Sunday afternoon.

Back of the cottage.

Fog rolling off the water.

Beautiful morning there yesterday. It was 47 degrees when I got up.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »
Mmmmm--  Don, that still looks dang good, even if it was a wet version! Great pics of the steps, that looks like a rich, warming meal!! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »
Looks good to me Don.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »
Oh my oh my that looks good
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
My wife had a concession trailer before we got married. She would do all kind of festivals in AL, FL and GA. She said she would always get there early and get set up before all the vendors and she would brew up a lot of coffee and have some biscuits and sausage and ham ready and she would always throw some onions on her flat top and get them going. The smell of the onions would bring the other vendors in and she said she could often make a couple of hundred dollars before the festival even opened.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »

Sorry Don, in no way did I mean to hijack or distract from your post.

TP, I can believe that. We start of with browning the sausage first and then the onions. Let me tell you when 35 pounds of sliced sausage and 30 pounds of onions meet the bottom of a hot cast iron pot the aroma from that alone makes people come over to watch what's cooking. Add the garlic and spices to that and I've been told you can smell this stuff cooking a god half mile from where we cook. Lol......... Only thing is we don't charge for this food. It's all free to the triathlon participants and volunteers and the Red Cross get the proceeds from the race.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill