Author Topic: Downdraft MOD  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Bhorsman33

• BBQ, BEER, AND PITBULLS
Downdraft MOD
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
Morning all! I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the downdraft hood and I was wondering if anyone uses one on the GMG DB and what kind of results they get? I've read that the MOD helps with evenly distributing the heat throughout the grill but I am curious if anyone has verified that with a Maverick digital thermometer(or any 3rd party digital thermometer) on different spots of the grill?

Thanks and good day!
Brian

Weber Genesis
PBC
SRG
RT-680
Primo XL

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Downdraft MOD
« on: May 18, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
The old tried an true for finding the hot/cold areas of your grilling area is to get a can of biscuits - oil your grates first of course or better yet - get some Q' Mat from www.amazenproducts.com - and lay them in a pattern that is fairly close together - but not touching. And watch for over/under cooking in the process.  THAT PICTURES...then you can use them after modification and repeating this process.

That does not give you actual temps. but it is a cheap and easy way to establish a base line of where the hot/cold areas are - then when you make modifications, and compare - you can see practical results.

Hope that helps!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
I used a downdraft mod on a GMG Bowie and it helped with temps across the grate. Almost positive it will work as well on your Boone. We tested one on a Traeger Lil Tex and it made a big difference and that is about the same size as your Boone

get your downdraft mod here and call em and ask away before you separate yourself from your jingle jangle  ;)

http://shop.pelletgrillaccessories.com/product.sc?productId=208&categoryId=8
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
I will probably go with this one, as it can be easily switched back to normal.

Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's