Author Topic: Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket on the #3  (Read 7625 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket on the #3
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I am sure the Pecos makes a great brisket but what I am referring to is what he uses at his restaurant. Although it would be AWESOME to eat brisket in Aaron's back yard, I can say I've only eaten at his restaurant, lol. I am sure what he cooks in those big mamas trumps what he makes in his back yard, I could be wrong though. It has been known to happen (a lot)!

I may have to get another offset. I gave the one I had away, got tired of tending it and back when I had it I knew about 10% of what I now know so I might be able to do some damage with another one!

I'd have to get rid of some stuff though. My PBC is at the top of that list, maybe even ditch a pellet pooper and one of my kegs. Who knows, it could happen! ;)

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
Hey! Don't let RG fool you! He does a pretty damn good job with a regular 'ol brisket. I know I've had his. He's a heck of a qu'er!!!!!

So AF uses SRF meats?
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
Hey! Don't let RG fool you! He does a pretty damn good job with a regular 'ol brisket. I know I've had his. He's a heck of a qu'er!!!!!

So AF uses SRF meats?

Once upon a time he did.  Now he pretty much uses Creekstone all natural. They send him 400 of them a week. Not all are even prime, some are high choice!

It's hard to get an All Natural brisket from them as Franklin requires all they can process!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »
Great post!

Fantastic looking briskets!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 03:23:06 AM »

In return for you making me and my better half honorary Texans, I'll do the same in making you and yours honorary Georgians :) If you develop a strong urge to eat pulled pork you'll know why :P

We are both Southerners by definition, I'm southeast and you're south to southwest I guess :) When it comes to BBQ, I'll be whatever it takes to eat good 'cue and Franklin's was IT!

I'd still like to try Pecan Lodge, Snow's, Smitty's, Kreuz, Blacks, Salt Lick (even though I hear it's more of a gimmick than good BBQ). I'd like to compare others to Franklin but in my limited experience with Texas BBQ, I couldn't imagine anything being better. If there is better then may God help me! I'd probably die eating it, bursting at the seams and happy.

Thanks, RG. I do have a strong urge to eat pulled pork lately.

You were so close to all those bbq joints (except Pecan Lodge). Sorry you missed some great que.  You're right, Salt Lick is a gimmick BBQ joint and tourist trap, but they do have good que.

Offline Cinredman

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket on the #3
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Fantastic post! I am a noob with brisket, purchasing whole packers from Costco. Bookmarking this thread for when I tackle brisket #3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
Great post for those of us afraid of brisket.....and I am
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 10:40:05 AM »

In return for you making me and my better half honorary Texans, I'll do the same in making you and yours honorary Georgians :) If you develop a strong urge to eat pulled pork you'll know why :P

We are both Southerners by definition, I'm southeast and you're south to southwest I guess :) When it comes to BBQ, I'll be whatever it takes to eat good 'cue and Franklin's was IT!

I'd still like to try Pecan Lodge, Snow's, Smitty's, Kreuz, Blacks, Salt Lick (even though I hear it's more of a gimmick than good BBQ). I'd like to compare others to Franklin but in my limited experience with Texas BBQ, I couldn't imagine anything being better. If there is better then may God help me! I'd probably die eating it, bursting at the seams and happy.

Thanks, RG. I do have a strong urge to eat pulled pork lately.

You were so close to all those bbq joints (except Pecan Lodge). Sorry you missed some great que.  You're right, Salt Lick is a gimmick BBQ joint and tourist trap, but they do have good que.

Yeah, I know I was close but much to my surprise, there is only so much BBQ one can eat in a short amount of time, lol. It gives me reason to do it again, make another trip!

Offline RG

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »

So AF uses SRF meats?

Also, that brisket you ate that I made sucked! You're being too kind, lol.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »
Fantastic post! I am a noob with brisket, purchasing whole packers from Costco. Bookmarking this thread for when I tackle brisket #3

You and me both. My first one was crap, second was better. Got two prime Packers in my freezer awaiting my courage
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »

Get Prime if you can at Costco, mine never carries whole packers much less Prime.

Great post for those of us afraid of brisket.....and I am

No need to be afraid! There are tricks to almost idiot proof it. Foiling will ensure a moist brisket, you'll just lose out on bark integrity and it'll make more of a pot roast texture as it's steamed. My normal method is to inject with either Fab B Lite or Butcher's Prime, let sit overnight in cryovac (I inject through the bag and put the whole thing on a cookie sheet to catch the leakage).

I then take it out of the cryovac, trim to where I like it while letting it warm up a tad on the cutting board. I normally do not add a rub binder (oil, mustard, etc...) I just use the meat's own wetness allow for the rub to stick. My normal rub contains coarse ground black pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder and sometimes a little cumin. NO BROWN SUGAR on briskets for me, ever. Only Ribs and Butts get brown sugar in this household. I add all of that into a shaker and apply liberally and once done I go back over it with Kosher Salt so I can SEE how much I am adding and it gives me FAR greater control than mixing it in the rub. I smoke it usually with Hickory and Apple and I sometimes wrap in peach butcher's paper but most times let it ride. My Wife is a Bark Shark, she loves it so letting go unwrapped gives her that crusty, crispy bark she loves. The issue is that the flat usually takes a beating when left exposed the whole time, hard to keep it juicy. Butcher paper is good for once it gets the color you want, you wrap it and let it ride until it's soft enough to jiggle :)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »

Thanks for all the "juicy" details...

X2 ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »
Looks like a great attempt!  I second the others in wanting to try one this summer.  I could only find flats on sale at Sams Club (no close by Costcos) and I am not sure I could have fit the flat in my smoker. I may have to work an extra Saturday this summer and use it to by a 22.5" WSM....

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
... not sure I could have fit the flat in my smoker...

Not sure what you're cooking on but you can always try "humping" the flat up in the middle when you put it on the rack. As it cooks it will shrink and end up laying flat.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »
... not sure I could have fit the flat in my smoker...

Not sure what you're cooking on but you can always try "humping" the flat up in the middle when you put it on the rack. As it cooks it will shrink and end up laying flat.

I may have to try that.  I am using the Red Box Smoker - does great for what I normally smoke.  This cut is usually quite a bit wider than that though