Author Topic: Electric Smoker Choices  (Read 3726 times)

Offline RandyG

Electric Smoker Choices
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
In the near future I would love to expand my arsenal by adding a smoker.
I was looking at the Masterbuilts, but after researching here now I am leaning toward a Bradley or a Smokin-It.
I've read most of the old threads but would love for updated input from everyone after having used them for a few years on the pros and cons of each. I'm open to other brands as well but leaning toward these two.
The Smokin-It seems to be built like a tank and I love the heavy duty casters and door latches.
The Bradley is appealing with the auto feed convenience of the Bradley Bisquettes. Also the tall vertical design.
Hope everyone will chime in and make the case for their favorite.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Electric Smoker Choices
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Randy, you kind of get what you pay for in these electric boxes. I have owned most brands. Currently I own a Smokin' Tex ( which is a Smokin' It with only minor cosmetic difference.
I will advise against Bradleys for their proprietary "pucks"...and their tendency to need to be "babied" in order to remain reliable. The puck - pusher can become jammed from sawdust from the pucks, and it is common for the electronic models to succumb to the effect of moisture. Atmospheric - and what can drift out of the side of the cooker where the electronics sit.

Masterbuilt, Cajun Injector and all of the others in this price range are not known for longevity and given to wiring and controller failures. As well - they - nor the Bradleys are that well insulated, and all of the above are built with the thinnest materials possible to keep their shipping weight down.

Seriously - you may think you want " fancy features" but inevitably - what you really NEED is reliability.

The Smoking Tex, and the Smoking It offer solid, commercial grade construction. heavy gage stainless steel and industrial insulation. And a simple, knob adjustable rheostat for temp. control. It works and it lasts for long, long time with NO issues.

Hope this helps!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
I like my Bradley but I had to make mods to get it where I wanted.
I added a second element (comes only 500 watt) to get better recovery times
Bought an Auber PID to control temp swings - ok as is for briskets, butts, etc but too wide (20 -30 degree) for sausage
I bought the original (non-digital) which I was glad since even with the digital you would need a PID to control temp swings
I had a number of times where the puck pusher didn't work properly but those have been far and in between.
Do I enjoy my Bradley, yes as it has been reliable for a while now, but it took some work to get it where I want it. As Tee said, it needs to be babied, but I didn't have to baby mine as much as some others.
Bradley does have excellent customer service.
All this said, look for reliability, its less of a pain in the ass then good customer service.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:29:51 PM »
Smokin-IT......get model #3   built like a brick $$$$-house and will outlast more Bradleys and Masterbuilts than you can shake a stick at.

Great customer service, they have their own brand specific forum.......cry once my friend....cry once.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
I'll second the SI #3, love mine!  It's also NSF certified for commercial use!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline old sarge

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:43 PM »
Smokin-it.  The largest your budget will allow. 
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
I like my Bradley but I had to make mods to get it where I wanted.
I added a second element (comes only 500 watt) to get better recovery times
Bought an Auber PID to control temp swings - ok as is for briskets, butts, etc but too wide (20 -30 degree) for sausage
I bought the original (non-digital) which I was glad since even with the digital you would need a PID to control temp swings
I had a number of times where the puck pusher didn't work properly but those have been far and in between.
Do I enjoy my Bradley, yes as it has been reliable for a while now, but it took some work to get it where I want it. As Tee said, it needs to be babied, but I didn't have to baby mine as much as some others.
Bradley does have excellent customer service.
All this said, look for reliability, its less of a pain in the ass then good customer service.

Like Gus I have a Bradley and do enjoy it. Many mods on mine to get it perfect. Dual probe PID. I even installed a convection fan to make it the perfect smoker/dehydrator.

No problems with puck jams. The door eventually started falling off due to the weak hinges but I just created new ones that won't fail :)

I would suggest getting a smokin-it. Like a cook shack but without the premium price.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Electric Smoker Choices
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
I also have a modified Bradley but I only really use the cabinet and racks. I put in a 900w element that I control with an Auber single probe pid and generate smoke with A-maze-n products and pellets. I use it a lot less since I got my RecTec but I wouldn't want to be without it. Probably wouldn't buy it again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
With all the electric smokers i have had from a cookshack, masterbuilts, bradley then back to master built, I finally broke and bought The Sausage Maker 30lb digital. Best $900 i have spent on a smoker. Its a monster. I'll put it up against any CS, Smoking It, Bradley or MES.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
A Masterbuilt was my First & LAST electric smoker!
Mine burned out the wiring about 30 days after warranty went out :-[
No help from company!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp