Author Topic: Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.  (Read 9581 times)

Offline 70monte

Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.
« Reply #-1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
After reading Smoke's excellent review on this grill/smoker, I was very interested in it.  Last week while on Craigs list, I saw this grill advertised for about half off of the regular price.  After some debating and trying to justify buying it, I went and looked at it today.  It was in excellent shape and I just could not pass up on the price.

It was located at a retail store that was no longer going to be carrying this line and was discounting them to get rid of them.  They had this Open Range, a Patio Jr. and the Marshall.  I paid $549.50+ tax for $593 total.  It was manufactured in 06/04/14 so it is two years old but it is a generation 3 and is still brand new.  They were all advertised for 50% off.

For anyone in the Joplin, MO area who might be interested, the grills are at the Flames for Home and Hearth store.  The Marshall is on sale for $1,149.50+tax and the Patio Jr is $399.50+tax.  The Open Range and the Patio Jr. had been kept inside but the Marshall looks like it has been kept outside under the overhang of the store front.  The grates were a little rusty looking on it but the grill still looked good.  Both of the remaining grills are new but I'm not sure how old they are since I didn't look at the paperwork.  They are probably around the same age as the one I bought.

Here are some pictures of mine.

Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
That is a great deal!

Congrats.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline rwalters

Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
Sweet deal!! Look forward to seeing your 1st few cooks, and hearing your thoughts.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Nice grill and a killer price
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline 70monte

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really didn't need another grill/smoker but I just couldn't pass it up for this price plus I've been very impressed with all of the reviews and youtube videos that have been made of it.  I'm going out of town on Monday for all week so it may be a little while until i cook on it.  I will probably try and season it today or tomorrow though.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
That is a great score!!

Your Open Range looks like a Gen 2 version.  The Gen 3 has the sides of all the expanded metal covered in a protective ridge. Be careful when handling your cooking grates. I had a Gen 1 slice me open bad.

All in all, you made out like a bandit. Did you get the instruction manual with it? If not here you go:

http://thegood-one.com/content/uploads/2014/06/The-Good-One-Operating-Manual.pdf
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 70monte

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
That is a great score!!

Your Open Range looks like a Gen 2 version.  The Gen 3 has the sides of all the expanded metal covered in a protective ridge. Be careful when handling your cooking grates. I had a Gen 1 slice me open bad.

All in all, you made out like a bandit. Did you get the instruction manual with it? If not here you go:

http://thegood-one.com/content/uploads/2014/06/The-Good-One-Operating-Manual.pdf

It did come with all of the manuals and warranty card.  The reason I said I thought it was a generation 3 was because I read in a few different places that the gen 3 versions came out in around Oct. 2013 and this one was built after that.

I have seen some recent videos where they are now making the charcoal grate where the expanded metal justs drops into a frame so that just the expanded metal has to be replaced and not the entire grate and ash catcher.  I believe they are still calling this newest setup a third generation.

Anyway, I still like it no matter what generation it is.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
I just got done watching some youtube video's from the past few months and none of the grills shown have the protective ridge on the sides of the grates, only on the front and back just like the one I just bought.  One was a demo video that Chris Marks did. 

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »
The charcoal grate/ash catcher combo is new for Gen 3...and the protective pc on the ends of all expanded metal cooking grates are Gen 3. The Goodwin family would leave them unfinished. Even when Ace of Hearts was distributing the Good One we wanted the grates to have the sharp edges covered. Now that a different mfg is making them, Chris got his way and got the grates covered............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
Gen 1 had the slide out ash tray that would pull out from the left side...major air trap. It got changed to the front pull out ash pan and that helped out a bit. The new design is way better.

Do not be alarmed if your Open Range burns from left to right or right to left. It is a phenomenon that has frustrated many a Good One owner. The temp still stays rock solid and that is what it is all about.

Careful with too much wood as well. The smoking chamber top is designed to circulate the heat and smoke and you will find that 2-3 fist sized chunks of wood will get you where you want to be. Chris really likes the use of cherry and hickory, it is a great combo....give it a try.

In fact, Firecraft carries the chunks us Cowboy Dealers would sell with the Good Ones through Ace of Hearts BBQ:

http://www.firecraft.com/category/wood-chips-wood-chunks?f[0]=sm_field_brand%3Ataxonomy_term%3A357
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 70monte

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to season it tomorrow.  My charcoal grate and ash catcher are all one piece like it shows for the Gen 3 grills and pulls out from the top of the firebox.  I even went to The Good One website and all of their current pictures for this grill show it just like mine is so I'm pretty sure mine is a Gen 3.  I also went to Firecraft's website and all of their pictures show the grates with only the top and bottom having the protective piece of metal on it.

Just out of curiosity, could you give me a link to where you see the grates with the protective pieces on all four sides of the grates because I can't seem to find any.  Thanks.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Smoke,
            I do have a few more questions.

1. Is the grill that you review that you used to own a 3rd generation because if it is, mine is exactly the same.
2. To season this grill for the hour recommended, how much charcoal would you recommend using?  I'm assuming it should all be lit?
3. On The Good One's website, they have two different part #'s for the stainless steel shelves depending if you use it on the smoking side with the lid reversed or the firebox side.  In your review it seemed like the shelf you had would work on both sides.  Is that correct?  Do you know what part # your shelf was?  Thanks.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to season it tomorrow.  My charcoal grate and ash catcher are all one piece like it shows for the Gen 3 grills and pulls out from the top of the firebox.  I even went to The Good One website and all of their current pictures for this grill show it just like mine is so I'm pretty sure mine is a Gen 3.  I also went to Firecraft's website and all of their pictures show the grates with only the top and bottom having the protective piece of metal on it.

Just out of curiosity, could you give me a link to where you see the grates with the protective pieces on all four sides of the grates because I can't seem to find any.  Thanks.

Wayne

My bad Wayne, the protective pcs are just on the short ends where the handles are........you got yourself a Gen 3 cowboy!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »
Smoke,
            I do have a few more questions.

1. Is the grill that you review that you used to own a 3rd generation because if it is, mine is exactly the same.
2. To season this grill for the hour recommended, how much charcoal would you recommend using?  I'm assuming it should all be lit?
3. On The Good One's website, they have two different part #'s for the stainless steel shelves depending if you use it on the smoking side with the lid reversed or the firebox side.  In your review it seemed like the shelf you had would work on both sides.  Is that correct?  Do you know what part # your shelf was?  Thanks.

Wayne

Howdy Wayne.

1. I did have the Gen 3 and I miss it very much....

2. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions burnt from the bottom up. The Gen 3 burns from the top down. If you use briquettes or lump this method is how I did mine. I like to season my Good Ones around 250 degrees and with a bunch of smoke for a good while. I like to use Weber chimney starters. In my old drum smoking days I discovered that a starter full of briquettes is roughly five lbs. Put two chimney starters of unlit in the charcoal tray. I would use the smaller chimney starter by Weber (easier to fill the fire box of the Open Range) full with lit coals poured right over the top of the unlit coals.

Have your two fire-box spinners pretty wide open and your damper fully open. Have your smoker box closed and have your top spinner open about 1/4 inch no more..probably around 4 spins. You leave this alone the entire cook. All controls are done with the damper and the firebox spinners. Wait about 10 minutes and close your firebox lid and watch your heat gauge in the smoker lid. That gauge is a tel-tru so you got a good thermo. When your gauge gets just under 200 degrees, set your damper handle to 11 o'clock and take your two firebox spinners and shut em down and then spin em out 4-6 turns. That should get you to around 250 after the Open Range settles in to these adjustments. Now keep in mind these settings were used when I was at 5000 ft in elevation. Your damper should always be at 11 o clock and your smoking lid spinner should be just slightly open. You might have to tweak the two firebox spinners a bit. Once you get the temp you want, count your spins on your spinners and you will have your Open Range fool-proof for cooks to come. I like to add 2-3 chunks of wood once my Range would settle into my desired temp settings.

3. The shelf I had was for the fire-box. You will need the other one for the fire-box. Keep in mind the shelf for the fire-box is only needed if you flip the smoker lid around to face the other side. Another Gen 3 improvement. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
Keep mine short, Congrats on the new grill regardless what series it is I'm sure it will be great!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL