Author Topic: Head Cheese  (Read 4506 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Head Cheese
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
Finally found a hogs head at Jungle Jim’s International Market in Fairfield, Ohio.  It was cleaned well, hair removed, even the eyebrows & eyelashes.  Froze it for the trip to Alabama.  Another step in my quest to do whole hog on the big steel keg one part at a time.

On the keg with some pecan & hickory for smoke for about an hour.  Drip pan with some water in it to catch those drippings for the aspic.

The only pot we had big enough was our canner.  Filled with the drip pan drippings and water and lots of seasonings.  A whole head of garlic, onions, celery, vinegar, nutmeg, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, cloves, sage, rosemary, cilantro and whatever else you like.  Started out on the keg but realized I wouldn’t be able to maintain a constant low boil without some tending so I moved it to the gasser side-burner. 
Looks happy as a pig in a pot:

After 5-6 hours the meat is falling off the bone.  Remove from pot and let cool for pulling.  Discard the skin, some people use the eyeballs and ears but I discarded them.  The cheek meat is really lean and flavorful.

Strain the liquid in the pot and put back on to reduce to an almost gravy consistency.  This is the aspic that will hold the head together for the loaf.  I put the reduced aspic in a smaller pot and put in the fridge overnight along with the meat since it was getting late.  The next day I spooned and discarded the fat that congealed on top of the aspic.  Here’s some of the meat, that tongue is the money-muscle of head cheese.

Heat the aspic up to liquefy.  Meanwhile slice and coarsely chop the meat.  Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, fill with meat and pour the aspic over it.  Refrigerate for a couple of days for the flavors to mellow and meld, slice and enjoy

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:44:14 PM by bamabob »
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Head Cheese
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »
Beautiful Bob!

Now...tell us how to do that. That is what we are all here for, to exchange ideas, recipes and learn from one another. ;D

Recipe?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bamabob

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
LOL, I didn't think anyone would actually want a recipe.  Growing up the son of a farmer of German decent from the Southern Indiana, Cincinnati area, head cheese was served often.  Modified the post with the recipe and technique.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline muralboy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »
always wondered how and what it was made from....idea for the next tutorial...who makes scrapple
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Pappymn

Head Cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
Very cool
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:29:21 PM »
LOL, I didn't think anyone would actually want a recipe.  Growing up the son of a farmer of German decent from the Southern Indiana, Cincinnati area, head cheese was served often.  Modified the post with the recipe and technique.

Heck ya!!!! THANKS.

Never underestimate the thirst for other culture's foods. We all come from "somewhere"...but - because we are ALL interested in food - there is a broad acceptance, and curiosity for different foods from other families ;) ;D What you - or I might consider common...others may see as exotic, and something new to try.

I will move this to Pork Recipes - so we can all refer to it - and preserve it for all to hopefully - experience and enjoy. ( And you enjoyed it in style with a Leinie Kolsch! :D )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »
While I was in Cincinnati not too long ago doing a little family genealogy, my wife and I found our way to the Findley Market.  I got to try some goetta.  Similar too scrapple, but contains only lean pork and beef mixed with onions and oatmeal.  I am not a scrapple fan, or for that matter a liver mush fan.  The goetta has possibilities.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline bamabob

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
We make Goetta.  Most prefer it over scrapple, I think the oats give it a better texture than corn.  Here's a good link to them.

http://www.eater.com/2015/9/1/9211867/scrapple-goetta-livermush-what-is-it

Here's some Goetta that we made

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
That's some great cooking!!! Both the head cheese and goetta look good!!!! I have made goetta that turned out good but never cooked a whole head down for head cheese. Here in Ohio I think most call it souse. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline bamabob

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
That's some great cooking!!! Both the head cheese and goetta look good!!!! I have made goetta that turned out good but never cooked a whole head down for head cheese. Here in Ohio I think most call it souse. Don

Thanks Don.  I've had lots of souse also, never made it though.  Souse is a version of head cheese pickled with vinegar.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline bamabob

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
While I was in Cincinnati not too long ago doing a little family genealogy, my wife and I found our way to the Findley Market.  I got to try some goetta.  Similar too scrapple, but contains only lean pork and beef mixed with onions and oatmeal.  I am not a scrapple fan, or for that matter a liver mush fan.  The goetta has possibilities.

Art

Art, did you try anything else from Findley Market?  That place has everything.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Don gave us a "scrapple" recipe using ground sausage instead of cooking everything down.  I still have the recipe printed out waiting for time to make it!

That look amazing, I love the cheek meat.  We hope none of the members ask for it when the country club gets a whole roast pig for special events, then fight over who gets it at the end of the night.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »
Love Head Cheese and I hat is off to anyone who makes it becasue it is becoming a lost art.
Sorry I can't see the pictures.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
  I use to get Head cheese and hoop cheese for lunch when we worked up in the country. The old style roadside stores all had it.  It was always ground considerably more then yours though.
  Sure looks good.
The scrapple didn't look so good in that pan but the end result with the eggs looks very good.
 Nice job !
Terry "Way down in Alabama"