Author Topic: Pulled Pork Sandwich, Mac n Cheese & Asparagus  (Read 17767 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Pulled Pork Sandwich, Mac n Cheese & Asparagus
« Reply #-1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »
Sept 2016

Well August is over and I hope the hot humid weather is gone too. It was a nice 73 deg. day today; mostly sunny. I had no pork in the freezer so time to do some pulled pork. I had a 9.5 pound butt from my butcher. Last night I trimmed most of the pound of fat cap off.

Most of the pork butts I have done were not injected with any flavoring. I like molasses for the glue and a good rub. The molasses gives a good bark and I freeze most of it for later then I can add any flavors I want when I use it. I decided to inject this one, I did get a new injector a while back so need to justify why I bought it!

This is kind of a cross between Tee’s and Chris Lily’s recipe. I got up at 5:00 am this morning and rubbed what was the fat cap side with a little olive oil then seasoned well with Savor’s Fine Swine & Bovine. I then turned it over and injected it with the mix. I then seasoned it well with Fine Swine & Bovine.

I got my Traeger heated to 195 deg. and got the butt on at 6:00 AM. I baby sat it for a while then went back to bed for a couple of hours. I had my Maverick remote to keep check on the smoker.

After 3 hours on smoke at 9:00 I went to 225 deg. on my controller and was getting about 240 deg. grill level. I mixed some Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce and some of the injection mix 1 to 1 to use as a mop sauce. At 9:30 I started moping every hour. At noon the butt was at 150 deg. IT. At 2:00 it was going into its stall at 165 IT. I double wrapped it in foil and then back on and upped the controller to 235 deg.

I had planned to take it to an IT of 185 deg. then remove the foil for the rest of the cook. I thought this would give me better bark than if I left it wrapped. My only worry was getting it on & off the grill without it falling apart. About 3:10 it hit 185 deg. I removed it and unwrapped and got it back on the grill using a large spatula and some tongs. I had removed the temp probe and when I put it back in that spot was just 180 deg.

I think it went into a 180 deg. stall; it took until 5:50 to get to 195 deg. I did a probe test and it went in like butter so I pulled it off and took it inside; I tented it with foil. I usually like to let it rest in the oven for an hour but we were hungry! I pulled enough apart for two sandwiches.

I was glad I picked two easy sides to fix. I had some Bob Evans mac n cheese with bacon I nuked in the microwave for 5 minutes and a bunch of asparagus drizzled with a little olive oil and a garlic herb salt added nuked for 3 minutes.  We both had some of my butcher’s BBQ sauce on our sandwich. It all tasted good!  The bark was a little crispy and the wife liked it.

After we ate I pulled the rest of it and removed most of the fat. It will set in the fridge overnight then it will vacuum seal better when cold. I left it a little coarse and can always chop smaller later. I ended up with about 5 lbs. of pork.

The pork butt was $1.89 a pound and I was using Lumberjack pellets; a 1 to 1 mix of oak and a hickory blend.

3 hours in

Ready to foil

Done at 195 IT

Smokin Don

Injection Mix:

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt, scant
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:55:57 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Pulled Pork Sandwich, Mac n Cheese & Asparagus
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:11:19 AM »
Excellent looking pork butt Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
That's a plate of food that I would love....in front of me!  :D

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »
Food looks great and saved the injection recipe to try ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION