Author Topic: 1st Pellet Smoker Cook Ever - Help Please!  (Read 3466 times)

Offline mbeutler1203

1st Pellet Smoker Cook Ever - Help Please!
« Reply #-1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:36 PM »
So I just received my Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron this week and plan to use it on Saturday. We are celebrating my Fathers 70th and my sons 1st birthdays. So I decided to christen the BGW.  Pleas help with what ever questions you'd like to provide some guidance on.
-I have two 9.5 lb bone in Boston butts
-Will use Three Pigs Cherry Rub (my dad unfortunately isn't allowed any moderate spices) heard this is way more sweet than heat
-Using Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix
-Plan to start at 225 and bring to 145-150 before wrapping then start probing for tenderness around 195-200

Questions
-Does my temp info above look right?
-Is it worth spritzing with apple juice every few hours?
-Should I do some rub mixed with apple juice and inject?
-what would be planned time per pound based on temps?
-What would be some great side dish ideas?
-What type of buns for sandwiches?
-Care to leave any other words of wisdom?

I am so excited to try it out! I appreciate any wisdom you can give. I want to make this a very special day for my family!

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: 1st Pellet Smoker Cook Ever - Help Please!
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »
So I just received my Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron this week and plan to use it on Saturday. We are celebrating my Fathers 70th and my sons 1st birthdays. So I decided to christen the BGW.  Pleas help with what ever questions you'd like to provide some guidance on.
-I have two 9.5 lb bone in Boston butts
-Will use Three Pigs Cherry Rub (my dad unfortunately isn't allowed any moderate spices) heard this is way more sweet than heat
-Using Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix
-Plan to start at 225 and bring to 145-150 before wrapping then start probing for tenderness around 195-200

Questions
-Does my temp info above look right?. 2 hours on the lowest temp then up temp to 250 until probe tender. 
-Is it worth spritzing with apple juice every few hours?. No.
-Should I do some rub mixed with apple juice and inject?. If you want.
-what would be planned time per pound based on temps?. Start at 10 pm with bourbon on the rocks for yourself.  Very important.
-What would be some great side dish ideas?. Slaw, beans and strawberry shortcake.  Milk on side.
-What type of buns for sandwiches?. Hawaiian buns.
-Care to leave any other words of wisdom?. Don't over think it.  It's just a porkbutt.

I am so excited to try it out! I appreciate any wisdom you can give. I want to make this a very special day for my family!
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mbeutler1203

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:56:54 PM »
Sparky, thanks for the quick reply!  What are your thoughts on the fat cap...trim or leave on?

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:35 AM »
Leave on. Some smoke/cook fat cap on top, I always do fatcap down because when up as it melts, it migrates the rub off of your pork.

Offline mbeutler1203

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »
Leave on. Some smoke/cook fat cap on top, I always do fatcap down because when up as it melts, it migrates the rub off of your pork.

If you have that cap down though wouldn't the fat just render right out?  I guess i figure if it is facing down it wouldn't do anything.   

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »

If you have that cap down though wouldn't the fat just render right out?  I guess i figure if it is facing down it wouldn't do anything.

I have a Grid Iron and I always cook pork butts fat side down since the heat source is coming from the bottom. It gives me a lot better bark doing it this way. I also trim the fat caps to about 1/4 inch. Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
I score the fat cap like you would a ham and trim down the heavy fat to 1/4 in or so ,  rub the mustard and rub deep into the fat cap then cook.   
 Have had very good luck doing butts this way
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
I'll throw in the last way I did one and loved it. With fat cap up all it does is melt and run down the sides, it's been proven it doesn't penetrate the meat.

My last one I trimmed most all the fat cap off but did it that side down the whole cook. I did inject it. At 155 IT I double wrapped in foil until 185 deg. Then I unwrapped it and back on until over 200 deg. and did a probe test. I thought the best I have done and it was as moist as any I have done. Next time I will leave wrapped until 190 deg. IT since it took a while to get going again. Unwrapping near the end I thought gave me better bark.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=18357.msg242064#msg242064

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
Rule No.# 1

Relax....whatever way you cook it - it will be good. You can move from good - to great in a few short cooks.

Rule No.# 2

TAKE NOTES. Get a spiral bound notebook, and make it you "Cooks' Notes" - and keep it handy. This can evolve into a 3 ring binder with dividers, and clear plastic slip covers for recipes, tips an trips, and your notes about what you did when you las cooked a pork butt, etc.

Rule No. #3

THERE ARE NO RULES....(other than HAVE FUN!) ;D :D :D :D But, we are all happy to suggest what has worked for US as individuals. YOUR experience, at YOUR location with YOUR cooker WILL vary from that some, and that makes you an individual, not a "drone" that has to be in locked step with anyone.

Hub's Burn it in the Backyard section has some great primers for new-to-pellet-grill folks.  And - even I have my own personal formula for pulled pork  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=869.0 
Substitute the rub you have on hand in your case...And - if it has a higher salt content ( look at the order in which the ingredients listed on the label...they legally are listed as the greatest to least...) then don't allow it to rest as long in the fridge. Reduce to overnite if salt content is the first ingredient.

I have looked pork butts fat cap up, down, and on their side just to see what difference it made. And, mine is only one opinion - so your results will tell you if I still suffer from previous head injuries... :D :D :D but - I se no difference. I think it is because there is SO much marbling of fats throughout the meat - that it will not dry out. And - if you are serving it as pulled pork - you can decide how much fat to trim, and how much to leave as you mix it together in the pan.
One last note about finished IT for pork: Do no fixate on an actual temp. Yes, 195-205F is most often "done". But I have had Boston Butts that were done at 185, and some that had to be cooke to 2015F in order to "pull" properly.
For me - "pulled properly is defined as not mealy or mushy - but no "claws" or forks required to pull the pork. I use insulated gloves ( The Fryer Glove Co. ) and simply work my hand on the meat - and cill come of the bone clean - and the muscle fibulas will separate nicely. You can add a little sauce at this point if that is your desire. When I follow the routine in my above link, I don't need to sauce. If I am too rushed for that - I might add a little sauce. Not for dryness, just added flavors.

Hope this helps. Take notes and pictures and share with us.

Questions
-Does my temp info above look right? good guidelines. But use a long bamboo skewer or long tooth pick to help you determine doneness once you are in the range of "finished pork temp". The probing should have very little resistance. If you have to really push it in with more than just eh most gentle pressure possible...you may want to give more time. I do not foil pork. It is so fatty it does not need it.
-Is it worth spritzing with apple juice every few hours? Once the meat is coming out of the stall ( ask about this term if you are un-familiar ) I will spritz pork may 2-3 times an hour until it is done. This is also a good time for any small amount of additional "contrasting" rub. Try a blend of 2 part coarse black pepper, 2 part red pepper flake 1 part sea salt and apply it lightly after you have spritzed 2 or 3 times. Then as you continue to spritz - it will "wash" a bit of it in and around the surface of the pork, giving you a bit of extra seasoning to mix into the pork when you pull it.
-Should I do some rub mixed with apple juice and inject? See my link for ideas
-what would be planned time per pound based on temps?This will vary considerably. For my methods...I would budget 14-116 hours for a 10 lb. pork butt. But, this is because I cold smoke at approx 165F-175F on the MAK, then I will stage up temps to usually 275 - 350 toward the end of the cook to create a good "bark"
-What would be some great side dish ideas? In this part of the USA - slaw, BBQ beans, and mac and cheese are common - but - what ever YOU like is best ;)
-What type of buns for sandwiches? White bread buns are commonplace. You want the BBQ to shine - and not the bread
-Care to leave any other words of wisdom? I am always short on wisdom...but long on ideas! :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 11:12:38 AM »
Sounds to me like you're on the right track!

Tee's rule #1 is right; relax and enjoy it!

I agree with Sparky on the apple juice spritz; it just isn't worth the hassle. 

If your Dad can't have anything spicy, for a simple rub just mix up some brown sugar, paprika, and a little salt & pepper.  Simple but it works.

What kind of buns to use really depends on what you want and your tastes.  If you want a sweeter bun, go with the Hawaiian, per Sparky's suggestion.  I tend to prefer either an egg hamburger bun (the yellow kind), or brioche bun best. 

I think your cooking plan is spot on, especially the "check for tenderness around 195°-200°."

Be sure to get some pics to share with us.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline AlanZ

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I have been cooking at 160 F to 180 F for the first hour or so, just to create create some nice smoke.
Then I switch to 225 F to do the actual cooking.
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron pellet cooker
PK360 grill/smoker
#7 Kamado (circa 1999)
Ducane gas grill (circa 1997)
Uuni 2S pizza oven
PizzaQue pizza oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »
So I suggest slathering the butts in molasses then apply your rub.

Fat cap down. Start the first two hours at 225F. Then bump them up to 275F. Cook until the internal temp is at least 190F. I like to take them to 200F to 205F

Don't wrap in foil. Let them ride it out for the best bark you ever had.

After they are done wrap them in heavy duty foil and let them cool before pulling.

Leave yourself 10 to 12 hours time to cook butts that size.

They will hit the "stall" around 150F IT but don't worry. The temp will stop climbing for a bit and might even drop. This is normal
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »
After I get the pork pulled I taste it. And add more rub, salt, apple juice until I get a taste that I want.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mbeutler1203

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:40:40 PM »
Three more questions...

1. Where in the butt do I put the meat temp probe?
2. Do I put the probe into the meat after foiling just straight through the foil? 
3. At the final temp/probe tender if they finish early just keep them in foil, wrap with towel and throw in a cooler, correct?

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
Three more questions...

1. Where in the butt do I put the meat temp probe?
2. Do I put the probe into the meat after foiling just straight through the foil? 
3. At the final temp/probe tender if they finish early just keep them in foil, wrap with towel and throw in a cooler, correct?
Anywhere in the center away from the bone is fine. Just go right through the foil. You can foil, towel, cooler for many hours. So start early
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109