Author Topic: Post Thanksgiving day turkey breast  (Read 17595 times)

Offline AlanZ

Post Thanksgiving day turkey breast
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »
For at least 40 years, our extended family has a tradition of not cooking on Thanksgiving day, and instead we go to Chinese seafood restaurants.

However, my wife and I really enjoy turkey, so we cook one either the week before or after the holiday.

This year, for the first time, she brought home a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey.  This suits me fine, as I rather like the white meat... IF it's not dried out.

So, it was time to try a few new things on our Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron cooker.

We usually brine our chickens and turkeys, but this time I tried an injector marinade, a first for me.  I injected about 10 ounces of Cajun Injector Roasted Garlic and Herb marinade into the 7 pound breast.

I then brushed some melted butter onto the skin then dusted it well with Rub with Love - Turkey Rub

Then onto a rack over a drip pan, and into the Grid Iron.

160 degrees F for about 30 minutes, for a little smoke, then turned it up to 350 F to complete the cooking. Tappecue probes let me easily monitor the cooking.

About two hours into the 3 hour cook, I basted the meat with some olive oil.

I removed it from the cooker when the breast read 162 degrees and let it rest for about 20 minutes before removing half of the breast from the carcass and slicing.

The result was absolutely wonderful.  VERY juicy and flavorful breast meat, and the rub made for terrific skin with a little kick.

Lauren made sweet potato pie and some stuffing to go along with the meat... and there was cranberry sauce.

Four of us dined on the first half of the breast, with plenty for leftovers.

It's fun playing with new toys!

All dressed up with no where to go:

All done:

Half sliced up:
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron pellet cooker
PK360 grill/smoker
#7 Kamado (circa 1999)
Ducane gas grill (circa 1997)
Uuni 2S pizza oven
PizzaQue pizza oven