Author Topic: Smoking and drying on the KBQ  (Read 16929 times)

Offline scrum

Smoking and drying on the KBQ
« Reply #-1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »
Hi folks,
Just wanted to share a nice result from a smoke I did on some local indonesian chilies.
One of the benefits here is spice is cheap an example is black pepper costs a little less than $7/lb.  This gives me a little licence to have fun with these relatively low cost ingredients.  On the flip side back home you all get benefits like belong able to speak english daily, Costco, Walmart, stable supermarket refrigeration, Western Medicine etc  ;) .  Over here a basic Weber kettle here retails for about $500 (without the One-Touch).

I lined up my chilies and grabbed about 1/2 pound of black peppercorns.  Got the KBQ up to just over 212 and let them ride for 3-1/2 hours.  Every now and then I'd take about a tablespoon of black peppercorns and let them fire up just before the fan cycled on.
Every hour or so I'd lightly mist the chilies and hit 'em with a tablespoon of corns in the firebox after closing the door.  The pepper seems to activate the tastebuds a little better. A lesson learned is that it can get a little "ashy" when dumping spices into the KBQ - I'm working on a way to reduce this - will keep posting.

It was a great result - everything became beyond bone dry - I don't believe I have any moisture in any of the peppers. I always held off doing any jerky / drying foods here after many attempts years ago.  The KBQ just opened the door again.  Very grateful to the unit and to this forum for all the sharing from great cooks.

Cheers,
Rugby

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
22.5" Weber Kettle + 2x rotisserie
SV
KBQ
...and a collection of accessories