Author Topic: PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork  (Read 8549 times)

Offline chriswalters

PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork
« Reply #-1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
Hey there!  Long time fan of BBQ, but total noob when it comes to smoking.  I've turned out some decent ribs on my gas grill using 2 zone indirect cooking, but looking to step up my game and have about $300 to spend.  I've spent some time researching here and elsewhere online and it looks like the PBC and the Akorn are 2 of the best options in that range.  It also seems like I can't go wrong with either option, but if you HAD to pick one for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork based on the below criteria, which would you go with? 

My criteria in order of importance (Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork)
1) The BARK.  It's got to have that delicious, smoky bark. 
2) Minimal babysitting.  Set it and forget it (within reason)
3) Learning curve.  I don't want to ruin a bunch of food trying to get my cooking method dialed in.

Based on these criteria and knowing that I'm primarily looking to cook ribs, brisket and pulled pork (I hear the PBC makes amazing chicken too), is there a clear winner between the PBC and the Akorn? 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
Pit Barrel Cooker hands down. Success right out of the box. About as close to a set it and forget it charcoal cooker as possible. On-line videos to get you started. You can call and talk to Noah and Amber if you have issues. Lots of successful PBC owners here as well.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
I love the Akorn and highly recommend it, but I have not used the PBC so I am a little biased. Tomcrete1 uses both so he will give you a better choice.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Only my opinion...but because we all have favorites, preferences, and "styles' that are individual. And - if you can adapt your style of cooking easier to one or the other - then, it will naturally become your choice.
The great news is there are no bad choices in your listed cookers.

For me, it is the PBC - because I own one. And I own one because it is a vertical pit, and the support, and a true MADE IN THE USA product from a company of REAL Americans. You can hang food in it and get incredibly even cooking because of the designed air volatility. Simple...set and forget. Have cooked a Boston Butt in the PBC with HighOnSmoke at Jaxon's gathering. It ran all nite long on one charge of charcoal, so "low and slow" can be done. There are many here that have learned how to run the PBC very hot for searing steaks etc as well.

There are many here that own the Akorn or the PBC...but I don't know how many own both. They overlap so much in what they do. Except for internal cooking space, and that goes hands down to the PBC
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »
Wow! That's a hard choice to make. I own both and have cooked quite a bit on both. They are unique and good at what they do. Based on your criteria I would go with the PBC. However the Akorn is capable of doing all of what you want and more especially if you want to use it more like a traditional grill it does have more grilling space. But when it comes to ribs and pork shoulder the PBC produces the best. Feel free to browse through the video section there many videos there use both cookers in different cooks.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline rwalters

PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
With your stated priority...hands down PBC!! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:39 AM »
I do own both. Both cookers have vastly different flavor profiles. What sets the PBC apart is three things:

1)  Flavor. You get a "grease fog" from the meat drippings falling below and hitting the lit charcoal. Completely different flavor profile from any other cooker.

2) Capacity. If you like to cook ribs and cook a bunch of them go PBC. You can hang 6-8 racks at a time in the PBC. Tough to do that even with a rib rack in the Akorn.

3) The Akorn takes some practice (and a bunch of it) too nail temps due to the Kamado design. PBC is just too easy. Pre-set for your elevation just light and go.

So with all this said, I would like to say the Akorn is an excellent cooker. The PBC is just the best charcoal "power" smoker around and I see nothing on the market that even comes close..................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback!  Sounds like the PBC is the clear winner for what I'm looking for.  Looking forward to getting one and turning out some great BBQ! 

Offline Kona

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
I love my PBC, best cooking device I've ever owned. My electric smoker went in the garbage after my first cook on my PBC.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:48:50 PM by Kona »
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback!  Sounds like the PBC is the clear winner for what I'm looking for.  Looking forward to getting one and turning out some great BBQ!

You are going to love it Chris. Order the ash pan when you do order. It clips to the bottom of the charcoal basket and makes clean-up super easy.

Something else to chew on: a little over a year ago, PBC made some improvements. They added the porcelain coating. They beefed up the charcoal basket and went to hardware on handles instead of welds................................................

They didn't raise the price a penny and kept the free shipping.  :)

Just tells you about the quality of people over at PBC.  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
Also a big  :thumbup: from me for the PBC!

I love mine!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »
Love my PBC! Bought my mom an Akorn and I used it for a prime rib roast (post to come soon) for our Christmas dinner at her place and it was really a good cooker also. In my book you can't go wrong either way. But if it's just smoking you're looking for and have other high heat direct options I'd say give Noah a shout and get that made in USA masterpiece we call the PBC on the way STAT!
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »
Just ordered my PBC (with Ash pan, gloves, cover, and chimney starter).  Just need some charcoal, some meat and a meat thermometer and I'll be in business!  So excited :)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Congrats an the new Cooker!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
You couldn't have went wrong either way but I'm sure most here agree the PBC is a great piece made by great people.  Mine gets to feel fire almost weekly and it's never a disappointment. Can't wait for pics!
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4