Author Topic: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!  (Read 26146 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
MAK Grills 2017 FlameZone Kit

If you've been wondering about the new MAK 2017 FlameZone kit, how well it works, what comes with it, etc...  wonder no more!

Will it fit my MAK?  Per MAK Grills:  The new FlameZone kit is now standard with all 2017 MAK 2 Star Generals and will retrofit all previous 2 Stars as well as 2016 and newer 1 Star Generals.

The FlameZone kit includes the new funnel section, diffuser plate, drip pan, covers and grates. All parts are made from 304 grade stainless steel.  Installation is straight forward and requires no modification to your current grill:

First, remove the existing grates, drip pan & heat diffuser. Insert the funnel section (making sure it slants down to the right). Next insert the diffuser plate, followed by the drip pan (an "F" is embossed along the front edge to help with proper orientation).

In the above photo you can see the new drip pan is not only slanted from left to right, but also beveled from the middle to the front & back to make grease drain-off easier.

The covers can be put into place for indirect cooking, or removed as needed for direct grilling.  The kit also includes two new split grates that are oriented from left to right to make removing the covers easier.

Note: A good pair of heavy leather gloves will be needed if you want to remove a hot cover part-way through a cook!

The new MAK Searing Grate & Griddle (optional - not included with the FlameZone) are also oriented left/right.
A nice feature of this setup is the tops of the griddle and searing grate are level to each other and the griddle offers some protection for your arms & hands from the direct heat when flipping steak, burgers, etc.

Temperature Testing

First, it's IMPORTANT to understand that the thermocouple (temp sensor) is positioned to read the average air temperature inside the grill for indirect cooking.  With the FlameZone covers off the cooking grate is now exposed to direct heat, so the actual temperature at grate level will be considerably higher than what the MAK's temp sensor is reading!

Note: This test was done using 100% Oak pellets.  Ambient temperature: about 70° F.

First, I made sure the MAK thermocouple and the pit probe for my Maverick ET732 were both clean (for accuracy). The Maverick pit probe was clipped about half way back on the left-hand side.  The lid was closed and the MAK turned on to  "Grill" mode (the highest setting).

As I monitored the temperatures, as expected, the actual grate temperature climbed faster than the pit temperature being read by the MAK.  It took about 15 1/2 minutes for the grate temperature to reach 500° F.  The Maverick's temperature range reached its maximum (572°) when the MAK read 460° (by time I snapped a picture, it read 465°).

Expected Grate Level Temps:
Based on the test above, and the MAK's maximum 500° pit temperature, you can expect actual grate level temperatures in the range of 620° - 630°+ F.

Performance Testing  (or... The Tasty Part)

1) FlameZone W/MAK Searing Grate & Griddle

We seasoned some 1 1/4" top sirloins, as well as some veggies & mushrooms with some Little Louie's.

The steaks were grilled for about 4 1/2 - 5 minutes per side to in I.T of about 125°.  The veggies & mushrooms were tossed in the griddle with a little olive oil. Update - Update: When doing a combo cook like this with the FlameZone (grilling) and the MAK Griddle, I recommend leaving the FlameZone cover in place underneath the griddle to keep it from getting too hot!

The results using the searing grate were outstanding. The steaks had the right amount of char for that grilled flavor without tasting burnt.  The Griddle performed equally well giving a nice char to the veggies & mushrooms.

2) FlameZone W/Regular Grates

OK, so what about a REAL challenge using the regular grates?  Tandoori style chicken fits the bill.  It's marinated, so it's wet when it goes on, and since the marinade has no sugar, it won't caramelize easily!  I honestly did NOT know how well this was going to work. 

After letting the grill heat up for 20 minutes or so, some boneless chicken thighs, marinated in a traditional Indian spicy yogurt mixture, were placed on the regular grates.

The thighs had some nice char on the outside (like Tandoori chicken should), were still very moist on the inside, and tasted just like they'd come from a Tandoor oven!

Final Thoughts

Updated 4-28-2018: After several cooks with the FlameZone here are some important take-aways:

● When direct grilling with the FlameZone, IGNORE what the Pellet Boss is displaying, especially if you've just opened the lid. The actual grate temperatures are much hotter!

IMPORTANT! For the best results in grilling mode use either straight Oak pellets or a charcoal-blended pellet!  Other blends DO NOT work as well! They just don't have the BTU's and/or produce a lot more ash.

● For combo cooks with the FlameZone and a griddle, LEAVE THE FLAMEZONE COVERS IN PLACE UNDER THE GRIDDLE to keep it from getting too hot!

● Use a longer set of tongs and/or wear some leather work gloves for hand/arm protection. That grill gets HOT!!!

● With the new MAK FlameZone added to my 1 Star, I feel like I truly have an all-in-one smoker/grill combo.

I Hope this was helpful. Thanks for indulging me!

Cliff
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:30:11 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Fantastic write-up! If I had time to use mine more I would get these great upgrades. Hopefully someday
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Great write up Cliff makes me want a MAK just no $$$$$ to spend on one
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
Nice write up Cliff! My experience with the new setup pretty much mirror yours. Needless to say, I have been IMPRESSED with the new FZ :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:56:20 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »
Nicely done, Cliff!!  That is quite an engineering masterpiece.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Great review Cliff.

It is obviously clear that in the pellet world, there is MAK and then everybody else..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
Awesome review Cliff! Starting to make me think long and hard about selling my Grid Iron and jumping ship to the Mak side! ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Awesome review Cliff! Starting to make me think long and hard about selling my Grid Iron and jumping ship to the Mak side! ;)
I thought you love your GI??
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
I had no idea that it could do that! Wow! nice review ! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Great write up Cliff, thank you for taking the time.  ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Cliff outstanding!

Will you share the Indian spicy yogurt mixture  recipe?
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
Cliff outstanding!

Will you share the Indian spicy yogurt mixture  recipe?

Here you go: Tandoori Style Chicken, Lamb, etc.  - Indian BBQ!
<><
Member #68

Offline Tailgating is my game

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Preich

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Fantastic review! Having just laid out $$$ for the MAK 1, now I know the next thing to save up for. Question: would the griddle be useful for getting a full-surface sear on a steak, you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
Fantastic review! Having just laid out $$$ for the MAK 1, now I know the next thing to save up for. Question: would the griddle be useful for getting a full-surface sear on a steak, you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely!  If that's the type of sear you prefer, then I would recommend doing a reverse sear and finish on the MAK griddle.
<><
Member #68