Author Topic: New Pellet Grills  (Read 8492 times)

Offline slothritis

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »
Hey All. So I am in the market for a new pellet smoker/grill. I currently have a rec tec mini but I am looking to get a bigger smoker that can handle more meats. I would love to hear about any products you all may recommend. I've been looking at the new Traeger timberline, the larger rec tec, or a Yoder smoker. Honestly, I want one that gives me the least amount of problems. Thanks in advanced.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: New Pellet Grills
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »
The Traeger Timberline has had some early issues on low smoke production and on the grease system. While it is nice to see Traeger get "serious", I think the Timberline is overpriced for what you are getting.

Yoder??  Get yourself a part-time job to pay for pellets.....that 1/4 inch steel makes pellet consumption a big issue. I did pellet testing on a YS480 and I was amazed at how the hopper was always empty.

Now of course if you want to spend the coin and have the best, go get a MAK. They are simply the best.

However if you like your Rec Tec mini, why not go for the Rec Tec 680.......a solid performer at a great price.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline slothritis

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:29:57 AM »
The Traeger Timberline has had some early issues on low smoke production and on the grease system. While it is nice to see Traeger get "serious", I think the Timberline is overpriced for what you are getting.

Yoder??  Get yourself a part-time job to pay for pellets.....that 1/4 inch steel makes pellet consumption a big issue. I did pellet testing on a YS480 and I was amazed at how the hopper was always empty.

Now of course if you want to spend the coin and have the best, go get a MAK. They are simply the best.

However if you like your Rec Tec mini, why not go for the Rec Tec 680.......a solid performer at a great price.
Thanks for the reply. That's too bad about the traeger. Kinda was really interested in that timberline. I've heard good things about the mak, I just don't think I'm ready to drop that much money yet. The rec tec is looking better and better to be honest.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
I too was excited to see the Timberline, but once you get past the initial presentation (it is a good looking unit) it loses its luster. Kind of like an engine with 300,000 miles on it in a new car body.

I look at it this way, if a pellet grill is going to be your main way to grill and smoke outdoors, then cry once. You get the MAK 1 star General and you are done. You have a grill/smoker that will last a lifetime. It is just that plain and simple.

Look at it this way, your Rec Tec mini and a Rec Tec 680 combined price is that of a One Star.

I also have a One Star General in my cross-hairs................and trust me, with the pellet grills I have previously owned I could already have a loaded One Star with all the goodies. You are talking to the poster boy for impulsive grill purchases...............

Yes, the Rec Tec 680 is one heck of a grill.........Love the rear hopper, stainless in all the right places, good controller.........and even with all of its good points.....it is not close to the quality of a MAK. Not even in the neighborhood.

Swing over to the MAK forum sponsor section and see for your-self. I am sure many MAK owners will be here shortly................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline slothritis

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
I too was excited to see the Timberline, but once you get past the initial presentation (it is a good looking unit) it loses its luster. Kind of like an engine with 300,000 miles on it in a new car body.

I look at it this way, if a pellet grill is going to be your main way to grill and smoke outdoors, then cry once. You get the MAK 1 star General and you are done. You have a grill/smoker that will last a lifetime. It is just that plain and simple.

Look at it this way, your Rec Tec mini and a Rec Tec 680 combined price is that of a One Star.

I also have a One Star General in my cross-hairs................and trust me, with the pellet grills I have previously owned I could already have a loaded One Star with all the goodies. You are talking to the poster boy for impulsive grill purchases...............

Yes, the Rec Tec 680 is one heck of a grill.........Love the rear hopper, stainless in all the right places, good controller.........and even with all of its good points.....it is not close to the quality of a MAK. Not even in the neighborhood.

Swing over to the MAK forum sponsor section and see for your-self. I am sure many MAK owners will be here shortly................

The thing is, I need a large cooking area. I don't think the mak 1 is large enough.

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
I believe the 1 Star has the same exact size cooking area as the 2 Star.  Even if it doesn't, with the upper grate, there should be more than enough room.  By the way, I have a 2 Star and I love it.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »
I have owned 1 stars and 2 stars.  Great pellet smokers.  And the cooking area of the 1 stars is the same size has the 2 stars.  I myself don't use the child smoking box.  A 1 star is perfect.  Smaller foot print.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
One star will hold 8 butts with the upper shelf. Which is a much have accessory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »
If I am correct, the new one stars are the same size as the two stars...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline slothritis

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
So I get to thinking, I know you are concerned about capacity and the one thing everyone seems to be ecstatic about the Timberline is how much food it holds.

Diva Q and Meat Church are using the Timberline in competitions and all seem happy with it.

Here is a review from Scott Thomas from Grillin Fools. He had a beta model from Traeger that he reviewed:

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2017/03/29/review-of-the-new-traeger-timberline/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline slothritis

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
So I get to thinking, I know you are concerned about capacity and the one thing everyone seems to be ecstatic about the Timberline is how much food it holds.

Diva Q and Meat Church are using the Timberline in competitions and all seem happy with it.

Here is a review from Scott Thomas from Grillin Fools. He had a beta model from Traeger that he reviewed:

I saw that, but I'm just wondering if they were paid to use the equipment.

Offline slothritis

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

So after doing some math, if you take the top rack out of the timberline 1300, it's actually smaller space than the rec tec 680 with the top shelf. So I think I'm leaning more towards rec tec.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
True. But Grillin Fools showed in their review that the Timberline can hold 6 spare ribs laying flat on all three racks. The Rec Tec can hold a bunch of ribs as well.

We have many happy Rec Tec owners around here that hopefully will chime in with cooking capacities.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline slothritis

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
True. But Grillin Fools showed in their review that the Timberline can hold 6 spare ribs laying flat on all three racks. The Rec Tec can hold a bunch of ribs as well.

We have many happy Rec Tec owners around here that hopefully will chime in with cooking capacities.

I'm more into cooking brisket. As far as ribs go, I like to use my PBC.