Author Topic: New Pellet Grills  (Read 8600 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: New Pellet Grills
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
And you almost told me which pellet grill...if it's a secret, please send me a PM

What I'm getting at is this:  will it take a Pit Boss or GMG long to get to temp and will it hold there?

Ive been running my GMG Jim Bowie in sub freezing weather without a blanket with no issues whatsoever. It gets to 225 within less than 10 min after start-up and holds well. Granted its under a covered deck with protection from wind on two sides. However, Its the only pellet grill I have ever owned, so I have nothing to compare it to.

BP

There you go...
I have a covered patio protected on 2 sides like yours.  I can tuck it into the corner to keep it out of the wind on most days.

Thanks for the input.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Grab a Pit Boss on sale Jack. Won't break the bank and will put out great smoked grub on cold days while you are toasty warm in the house.

Take a look at the Grilla Grills Silverback.  Shane Draper has joined them as their pitmaster and their pellet offerings have stainless lined barrels to help with pellet consumption. Solid grills for the money. I have checked out their Facebook page and the owners just love them. A little biased maybe, but ya can't go wrong with an owners opinion of the pits operations.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline slothritis

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
So I went to a BBQ supply place in New Symerna last weekend. Very nice place! They had Yoders in stock and I wanted to see them for myself. I met the owner I told him I had a rec tec and was planning on getting a new pellet smoker. I asked him what he thought of the Yoder and he told me as far as build quality they are tanks, built very well and I can agree, when I went to see and touch them, they are monsters! However he told me as far as food, it puts out the same quality as any other pellet smoker. No better no worse. In fact, he told me, if I wanted a more "smokier" tasting food, to go with the green mountain grill, only because it has a fan that pulses instead of continuous blowing. My rec tec mini does that. So, I think that helped my decision a lot and I'm gonna stick to rec tec.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
Well there you go. I cooked on both GMG offerings and never noticed more smoke cooking on them. The fan does pulsates on and off....would drive me nuts :)

I understand that Rec Tec has a smoke setting when you cook between 180-250 for more smoke. Correct me if I am wrong.

Get that Rec Tec on order and buy yourself some large chunks of meat and lets get smoking :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline NativeTxn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
I’m looking at a pellet grill. I know the virtue of the MAK and am strongly considering the 1 Star as an option. I also like what Rec Tec offers for the price.

Anyone familiar with Smoke Daddy Deluxe 1190 (https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/smoke-daddy-pellet-pro-deluxe-stainless-steel-pellet-bbq-grill-model-1190/)?

It seems compelling for what you get for the price.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
Smoke Daddy is a company that started of making a very cheesy smoke generator, that requires you to drill hole in your pit - and use an aquarium air pump to make smoke....When a better solution already existed with the Amazen smoker. No power needed, no moving parts.

Then they started importing a cheap knock off of the Chines built Treager......

It looks to me that they have added a stainless lid, and upsized the hopper. But it is still a product of "questionable" manufacture, and unknown value for support/parts, as the actual manufacturer in China could stop making parts tomorrow - and Smoke Daddy can't do a single thing about it. It happens. It happened to me with a less than 2 year old al stainless - "Kitchen-Aid" brand name gas grill. ( Several companies have sold the rights to use their names to companies in China - who produce crap questionable quality goods- then you cannot get parts. They look nice - but don't hold up.

In your case...I would strongly advise that you could spend very little more - and buy a MAK 1 Star - and be very happy with durability, support, and capacity. I have never known anyone to be unhappy with e purchase of a MAK.
All made here in the USA, and the best engineering and controller available.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline NativeTxn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Smoke Daddy is a company that started of making a very cheesy smoke generator, that requires you to drill hole in your pit - and use an aquarium air pump to make smoke....When a better solution already existed with the Amazen smoker. No power needed, no moving parts.

It looks to me that they have added a stainless lid, and upsized the hopper. But it is still a product of "questionable" manufacture, and unknown value for support/parts, as the actual manufacturer in China could stop making parts tomorrow - and Smoke Daddy can't do a single thing about it. It happens. It happened to me with a less than 2 year old al stainless - "Kitchen-Aid" brand name gas grill. ( Several companies have sold the rights to use their names to companies in China - who produce crap questionable quality goods- then you cannot get parts. They look nice - but don't hold up.

In your case...I would strongly advise that you could spend very little more - and buy a MAK 1 Star - and be very happy with durability, support, and capacity. I have never known anyone to be unhappy with e purchase of a MAK.

Thanks. That was what I couldn’t figure out about Smoke Daddy - the background of the company and where the grills come from.

Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
My pleasure. Not "knocking" Smoke Daddy. But as a fellow Native Son of the Republic of Texas.....I felt compelled to give you all that I know about the company, and to advise you the best I can.

There always 1 prices in any purchase:

1. The cost of acquisition.

2. The cost of maintaining.

3. The cost of replacement.
MAK is a brand that you will not need to replace. And the cost of maintenance will be extremely low - as the components are all very high quality. Ask them about the Flash Fire ignition.... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »

Really surprised you bought a KA grill.  can't get distracted by shiny grills or women. Neither last

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
At the time...I believed the the name Kitchen Aid - was an American company - and that the product would be representative of the "brand"....I was after I need parts - that I found out that a Chinese company named Nexgrill had purchased the rights to use Kitchen Aid on their outdoor cooking equipment. There are other former American brand name companies that have also sold the right to use their name on equipment that they have nothing to do with.
IMHO - this is ethically culpable and morally reprehensible. And it SHOULD be illegal to do so without adequate disclosure to the consumer.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »
At the time...I believed the the name Kitchen Aid - was an American company - and that the product would be representative of the "brand"....I was after I need parts - that I found out that a Chinese company named Nexgrill had purchased the rights to use Kitchen Aid on their outdoor cooking equipment. There are other former American brand name companies that have also sold the right to use their name on equipment that they have nothing to do with.
IMHO - this is ethically culpable and morally reprehensible. And it SHOULD be illegal to do so without adequate disclosure to the consumer.
Just pulling on your peaches. At least somebody will. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 11:56:36 PM »
I think your ..."tug"....made me recognize that a bit more explanation was in order. ;D

Seriously - it would surprise most to find out how many brands of "American" sounding products have sold these rights to Chinese companies to produce a lesser product - but reliant on the marketing strength of the establish name brand.

If you or I as individuals tried such, it would be deemed "Theft under false pretense"...and is a crime. Companies....not so much. ::)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »
I think your ..."tug"....made me recognize that a bit more explanation was in order. ;D

Seriously - it would surprise most to find out how many brands of "American" sounding products have sold these rights to Chinese companies to produce a lesser product - but reliant on the marketing strength of the establish name brand.

If you or I as individuals tried such, it would be deemed "Theft under false pretense"...and is a crime. Companies....not so much. ::)
I must have my head in the sand... had no idea that this stuff happens. I know that companies will send production overseas... but sell out to a Chinese company and do it silently... WOW!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »

I must have my head in the sand... had no idea that this stuff happens. I know that companies will send production overseas... but sell out to a Chinese company and do it silently... WOW!!

Worse....
The companies do not sell out in this case. They only sell the rights..or sell a license to use their name.
It is not illegal of itself, tho it makes you feel that fraud has been committed when you need a part and you discover that the company whose name is in the grill.... had nothing to do with the manufacture, sale, marketing or support...including any knowledge about parts.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »

Worse....
The companies do not sell out in this case. They only sell the rights..or sell a license to use their name.
It is not illegal of itself, tho it makes you feel that fraud has been committed when you need a part and you discover that the company whose name is in the grill.... had nothing to do with the manufacture, sale, marketing or support...including any knowledge about parts.
As a consumer, is there no way to figure out which companies have done this, prior to us making a purchase?  Just thinking of the various things I own now, and wondering which items I got suckered on...lol. Think I am at least safe with my MAK :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)