Author Topic: New Pellet Grills  (Read 8488 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: New Pellet Grills
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
I think your ..."tug"....made me recognize that a bit more explanation was in order. ;D

Seriously - it would surprise most to find out how many brands of "American" sounding products have sold these rights to Chinese companies to produce a lesser product - but reliant on the marketing strength of the establish name brand.

If you or I as individuals tried such, it would be deemed "Theft under false pretense"...and is a crime. Companies....not so much. ::)
I must have my head in the sand... had no idea that this stuff happens. I know that companies will send production overseas... but sell out to a Chinese company and do it silently... WOW!!

Worse....
The companies do not sell out in this case. They only sell the rights..or sell a license to use their name.
It is not illegal of itself, tho it makes you feel that fraud has been committed when you need a part and you discover that the company whose name is in the grill.... had nothing to do with the manufacture, sale, marketing or support...including any knowledge about parts.
As a consumer, is there no way to figure out which companies have done this, prior to us making a purchase?  Just thinking of the various things I own now, and wondering which items I got suckered on...lol. Think I am at least safe with my MAK :)

Yes! There is...*BUT*  you have to be aware of the issue first.  Frankly - I was not. Once I learned of it - the hard way...I began to look into he matter. If you photo the manufacturer's plate usually inside the grill cabinet door or on the back of a grill - you can Google that part number - and usually find the actual company that makes it.
Several major appliance companies - big name - have followed this same pattern. I understand it IS about making a profit. And I am very much a free market economy supporter.
It is shameful though, that the onus of responsibility falls on US as consumers - to find the truth about WHO actually made the grill - vs the manufacturers/sellers offering full disclosure. It all becomes a problem when looking for parts - and you are told..after finding the actual manufacturer has ONE warehouse in America, on the West Coast - and they tell you that they do not have the part, do not know *IF* they will ever have the part - as they show it is out of production and the manufacturer that made it for them ( parts are often sub-contracted to smaller manufacturers in most products we own ) has decided not to continue making said parts.
THAT incident drove me to look at products I purchase thereafter a little differently. And - to research them from an additional perspective.
Yes - MAK will always be a safe bet. They will not even buy a screw from China. I am not anti-Chinese. But as illustrated by this..."saga".. ;) :D you can see that our living in a modern world of conveniences also offers some unintended consequences.
"Buyer Beware" is a multi-dimensional phrase nowadays.
1. Cost of purchase/acquisition.
2.Cost of maintenance/repair.
3.Cost of replacement.
None of this is based on "feeling" and emotions. It is a logistical viewpoint of "ownership".
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:12 AM »
Has anyone cooked on a rec tec and a Mak and can tell me if there is a difference in smoke flavor? I keep hearing that the mak puts out alot of smoke.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
Has anyone cooked on a rec tec and a Mak and can tell me if there is a difference in smoke flavor? I keep hearing that the mak puts out alot of smoke.

Tim, I believe has a Rec Tec and a couple of MAKS, he should be on shortly to give you all the 411 on smoke production for both pits............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »

I have cooked on both. Not extensively like Tim has, but enough to know that I think the MAK does just a little better job with smoke production. This is partly due to the difference in baffling/venting between the two grills.  And with the new 2017 FlameZone design being more efficient, not only is grilling improved, but the smoke production is better than ever.

Keep in mind it's NOT going to be what you'd get with a stick burner or WSM. Instead it's a very clean smoke flavor.

I have no problem getting enough smoke flavor for smoking sausages, bacon, hams, etc. on our MAK.

Granted for Bacon, Hams and the like where I want a deeper smoke flavor, then I do use an A-Maze-N pellet tube and start with a cold smoke, BUT that is no different than any other type smoker where you'd also start with a cold-smoke to get a deeper smoke profile.

For most smoked sausages, I get enough smoke just with the MAK alone in Smoke Mode that I do not need the A-Maze-N tube.

The point is I use our MAK extensively as a smoker, if that makes sense.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:10:21 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »
I have owned a number of different brands. Just sold my RecTec recently.
Not knocking the Rec Etc ...it has a nice look, and I like the big hopper. But - that is the only thing it has over a MAK. It cannot compare to the MAK grills smoke production. The MAKs actually have a programmed setting for smoke that is more than just a temperature setting. They produce a great deal of the right kind of smoke. Not the white, acrid creosote flavored stuff...the nice blue-gray smoke which gives us the flavor and aroma we all love.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 07:32:10 AM »
I have owned a number of different brands. Just sold my RecTec recently.
Not knocking the Rec Etc ...it has a nice look, and I like the big hopper. But - that is the only thing it has over a MAK. It cannot compare to the MAK grills smoke production. The MAKs actually have a programmed setting for smoke that is more than just a temperature setting. They produce a great deal of the right kind of smoke. Not the white, acrid creosote flavored stuff...the nice blue-gray smoke which gives us the flavor and aroma we all love.

Hmmm...alright. Thanks for your information! Like I said before, I am in no rush, but I still would rather physically see the Mak if I decide to buy one, but in Florida, there are no dealers.  I think I will probably make a final decision once the new rec tecs come out. But thanks everyone for all your input and opinions. Seems like a lot of Mak owners out there, so in case I do get one there is a large community for that.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »
Aside from Big Poppa's Smokers....I think MAK is going direct - Just like Rec Ten is doing.

SO a far as I know ( to about the end of my arms.... ;D ) there are no other "dealers" for either product any longer. There may be a few MAK dealers out there...but I just don't know of any.
Call MAK and ask....You can help keep us educated on this too! ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
How easy is it to put together a Mak 2 star?

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Very easy.  They even supply the allen wrenches to put it together.  A second person helping is a must.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »

Very easy.  They even supply the allen wrenches to put it together.  A second person helping is a must.
I agree with HJR.....
A second person is recommended...I managed to do it without help. BUT....I do not advocate doing so. A MAK 2 Star is  shaped in a way that that would required a lot of effort on your part to be safe- and not drop/damage the MAK...or yourself ;). I just happen to be a little stronger than I am smart. :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
The MAK is easy to put together IF you follow the directions. After completing the build of my 2 Star I had about a dozen screws leftover. I contacted MAK to ask if that was to be expected... needless to say, they very gently showed me where I had missed a “step”... lol.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)