Author Topic: Reverse sear pork steaks?  (Read 700 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Reverse sear pork steaks?
« Reply #-1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
We just got our pig we raised back from the butcher! Got some nice 1 1/4"+ pork steaks. Never done a pork steak, but pulled a nice lean one out to defrost for tonight. I'm thinking I'm going to cold smoke it with my Amazin tube smoker for 45-60 mins then reverse sear it to finish on the gas grill. This is how I do my other steaks and they come out awesome and taste like I did em on the Santa Maria BBQ. I know a lot of people tend to do them like ribs. Never done them before so looking for a little input. This steak looks like a nice New York with a nice peppering of thin fat marbled in. The breakfast sausage was great this morning! Thanks.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
Re: Reverse sear pork steaks?
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
I would not recommend cold smoking uncured meat for safety reasons - but that's just me. I'd smoke it @ 200-225 F until an internal temp of 140F then sear on a hot oiled skillet (or your gasser) until internal temp of 145.

Congrats on the fresh self-rasied meat - Wish I had the property to do that!

BP

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
I would smoke em at 225 until around 165 internal and then grill em up. 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. May do em on the Mak then.

Yes, we are lucky to have the room to raise animals if we choose. This was our first time raising and butchering animals of our own. Learned a lot and lots to learn!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline Pappymn

Reverse sear pork steaks?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
I would not recommend cold smoking uncured meat for safety reasons - but that's just me. I'd smoke it @ 200-225 F until an internal temp of 140F then sear on a hot oiled skillet (or your gasser) until internal temp of 145.

Congrats on the fresh self-rasied meat - Wish I had the property to do that!

BP
We he said
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:07:11 PM »
I would not be afraid to cold smoke pork chops, or any "whole muscle cut". Especially this time of year. It is the ground meat products that you should always be very careful with - because when mets are ground - they present for more surface area for bacteria to propagate.With a chop, steak, loin etc.....yo only have the surface of the meat - not the interior.

And...let us not forget that when we use smoke ( which is one of the oldest meat preservation processes known to man....we are making nitrites and nitrates. THAT is what smoking does, and it is also the reason you will se a nice pink "smoke ring" when smoking long term.

Lastly - even the USDA has enough confidence in our current pork quality that a couple of years ago they lowered the recommended finished temperature for pork to 140 or 145F (?)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
Since you've got all that cut-up pig, save some of the scraps or steaks to make tasso. It makes everything (especially Cajun food) better. Just sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
I would not be afraid to cold smoke pork chops, or any "whole muscle cut". Especially this time of year. It is the ground meat products that you should always be very careful with - because when mets are ground - they present for more surface area for bacteria to propagate.With a chop, steak, loin etc.....yo only have the surface of the meat - not the interior.

And...let us not forget that when we use smoke ( which is one of the oldest meat preservation processes known to man....we are making nitrites and nitrates. THAT is what smoking does, and it is also the reason you will se a nice pink "smoke ring" when smoking long term.

Lastly - even the USDA has enough confidence in our current pork quality that a couple of years ago they lowered the recommended finished temperature for pork to 140 or 145F (?)

I had started to think about it after my last reply and was thinking that's kind of the case. I've done cops that way in the past the same way. I've been cold smoking my beef steaks for about an hour for a couple of years now without issue, but beef is a little different than other meats. I have zero issue with leaving my beef out for periods of time at room temp, it's part of my process and secret to awesome tri tip. It took me a little while to adjust to the lower temp for pork, but have no problem now. I used to feel a little weird cutting into a medium tenderloin still lightly pink. Now I find it perfect! Thanks for your insights and perspective on it.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »
Since you've got all that cut-up pig, save some of the scraps or steaks to make tasso. It makes everything (especially Cajun food) better. Just sayin'...

Will have to look up tasso, never heard of it or used it before.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s