Author Topic: Another bowed rotisserie rod  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Another bowed rotisserie rod
« Reply #-1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:49:54 AM »
I don't get it. I bent the 5/16 rod ( Weber brand) and returned it. I upgraded to onegrill brand which was a 3/8 inch square rod. It says the weight capacity is 40 pounds. I had done last night 2 small chickens. In total they weighed almost 10 pounds ( 4.40 and 4.86 ) . When done I lay the rod on a flat surface. When I roll it you can see a little bow/flex in it where it Dosent contact the table. The chickens were trussed and I had the counterbalance weight perfectly applied. It was even Steven. So is this common for these rods to bend ? I looked up a replacement rod and it's 40 bucks. I don't want to keep buying replacement rods often it's not worth it. How common is this ? And how long would I wait before replacing? Until it Dosent spin anymore lol
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Another bowed rotisserie rod
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
Did you check it before you used it?  Don't know how perfectly straight these things need to be in order to perform their function.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »
How wide is this grill?   
What do you mean by bent?  Do you have to lay it on the table to see it?   Is it 1/16 , 3/8 ..... or 3/4 bow ?  Take a picture . 
I use mine all the time on a 22 " kettle (several times a week even) and have had it bend a little from to much weight but it did not stay bent nor did it.   
 Maybe you should spread your birds out away from the center. That will distribute the weight better.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
I did check being it happened to the last one. I will use it for as long as I can. Or for as long as where I don't think it's straining the motor.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
How wide is this grill?   
What do you mean by bent?  Do you have to lay it on the table to see it?   Is it 1/16 , 3/8 ..... or 3/4 bow ?  Take a picture . 
I use mine all the time on a 22 " kettle (several times a week even) and have had it bend a little from to much weight but it did not stay bent nor did it.   
 Maybe you should spread your birds out away from the center. That will distribute the weight better.

Yea I mean it's bent where as it Dosent make contact laying on a flat table. It's 3/8 square rod. It was perfectly straight when I bought it . Im just concerned if slightly bowed is normal. And concerned if it will get worse. It's true the meat is centered where it puts strain on the middle of bar but that heats it up the most evenly. I see you use yours several times a week!!!!! Rotisserie food is sooooooo good.!!!!'
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
  I'm going to look at mine closer when I get home. If its bent I haven't noticed it. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"