Author Topic: Sausage on a Yoder  (Read 10304 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Sausage on a Yoder
« Reply #-1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
Hey all...

I'm going to try to smoke sausage on a Yoder YS 680 and I'm looking for tips and techniques. I've never used a pellet pooper before.

Thanks!

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Sausage on a Yoder
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
Umm, Sorry Guess no one else has either. Sometimes I think threads get lost because I always click "show unread post since last visit" and sometimes theres nothing and I now there is because I will go to the bottom of the forum and theres all kinds of new threads. Heres a bump for you :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
 The pellet gang should help out soon...bump #2  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:19:45 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
There are several people here (Nepas, Tenthunter, STC, to name a few) that can answer that question, including me.  My first question to you is this homemade or stor bought?  If it is homemade, did you use any cure #1?  If it is store bought did you get builk or link?  With link all you have to do is put it on your grill at your lowest setting if you are trying to get some smoke flavor into it.  If you have an Amazen smoker tube or tray, this is a great time to use it.  I usually give it about 45 minutes to an hour on the smoke setting on my MAK (aropund 175 - 180 degrees), then kick it up to 250 and finsh cooking it.  If you have bulk, then I would just make them into burger patties and cook them like burgers.  Hope this helps.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
I still treat all of my uncooked sausages like a brat. Get's a 8 minute boiling bath in anything you desire, beer onions, your fav rub. It all works. I start at smoke for for 30 min and crank it up to 325 on the 070 for a while until my thermapen gets to 150 or so. Crank to max until desired brown. The extended time in a pellet cooker does not give me the "snap" I like without the preboil.
The sausage I make in the Bradley goes on the gasser for a hot & fast, as it is cooked product. Takes a bit of experimenting to find what you like.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
Sorry for the delay... no power since Friday evening. Just came back on.

Homemade andouille, boudin and breakfast links all done with pink salt.

I have the Amazen tube smoker... I like it a lot!

Yoder just got delivered this afternoon. Still on the pallet in the driveway. Too cold to unload it today... plus it's freezing rain.
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
I own a yoder and I too have Q's on cooking sausages.  Generally I'll cold smoke with my Amazen (lit on both ends) on the grill grates I installed and put the sausages on the top right area of the upper shelf.  Usually I'll let that go at least 30-60 mins before I crank up the 640 on low (150-200F) and move the sausages to the left middle of the upper rack. 

My problem is like many folks in that its easy to overcook sausages.  At some point while the Yoder is getting up temp Ill move the sausages to the grillgrates to sear/finish them off.  Many times Ive ended up with overcooked but good looking sausages.

Im always careful  to not let the sausage crack open too but they can still go over temp. 
My main point: unlike other pieces of meat using my thermapen spills all the juicy goodness out of the sausage!  Do you all worry about this? What is the general concensus out there?
How is it done correctly?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:52:26 PM by Hornzbee »
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:32 AM »
Yes, sausages can be smoked on a pellet grill with great smoky results!

Hot-Smoking Sausage on the MAK
Smoked Italian Sausage

If the sausages are cured (with a nitrite cure - such as Cure #1, InstaCure #1, etc.), then you can use an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker or other device to apply cold smoke for two or more hours, then move on to a hot smoke. 

However, if they are fresh UNCURED sausages (not cured with a nitrite curing salt), then it's best to skip the cold-smoke step and limit them to hot-smoke ONLY!  Botulism is NOT something to play with!

OK, the trick to hot-smoking uncured sausages is to get them through the danger zone quickly enough so there's not enough time for C. Botulinum Bacterium to multiply, yet slowly enough so a nice deep smoke ring can develop, giving the sausage that classic pink color on the inside along and a nice mahogany color on the outside that we associate with smoked sausage.

How is this done in a pellet cooker? Follow these steps:

Hot-smoking sausages in a pellet smoker:
Note: this will work for both cured sausages (after cold smoking) or uncured sausages (hot-smoke only).

1) KEEP YOUR SAUSAGES COLD AND LEAVE THE GRILL OFF!!!  That's right, do NOT preheat your grill!!!  Putting sausage on a hot grill will shock them and can cause the fat to start rendering prematurely. You need the sausages to come up to temp as slowly as possible to temper the fat as much as possible in the short time you'll be smoking them. A cold grill helps with this, PLUS the pellets igniting will apply some good cold smoke for a brief period.

2) Prep the sausages by patting them dry and pricking them about every inch or so with a corn-on-the-cob holder, a small brad or big needle.  This will prevent them from building up steam and cooking too quickly, which in turn will allow a deep smoke ring to form. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Trust me it makes a difference.

3) Place the sausages on your grill, preferably on an upper rack if you have one.  Stick a temp probe in one of the sausages being sure it's in the center. Be sure the sausages are not touching each other.

4) Now turn your grill on to smoke mode with a temp setting of 165° - 185° (MAX!). This is within the Hot-Smoking range.  Note: You can also use an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker or other device for added smoke during this hot-smoke if you like.

5) The target internal temp of the sausage is 152° - 154° and should happen within 3 to 3 1/2 hours.  This will ensure that the sausages were maintained at a minimum of 150° long enough to kill any harmful bacteria, but still low enough that the sausages won't have fatted out.

At this point, if not eating them right away, then remove and immediately plunge them into ice water to cool as quickly as possible.  This gets the fat cooled back down, prevents shriveling and keeps the sausages plump. After cooling, carefully pat them dry and they are ready to be packaged & frozen as you see fit.

The sausages should be safe to eat after this, but it's still best to fully cook them to 165° before consuming.

Note: If the sausages were uncured, then they should have a nice deep smoke ring going most of the way through but not quite to the center, like this:

This does not affect the flavor whatsoever! They will still have a nice smoky flavor.

Some more pics - Pellet Smoked Beef Kielbasa (cured) - Cold smoked with the A-MAZE-N Tube smoker, then hot-smoked:

Hope this is helps!

Cliff

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:47:57 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
Perfect Cliff!  This is just what I needed.  I have always thought (and many others Im sure) it was sacrilegious to poke holes in sausages and let the fat cook out.  Your point though that if the heat is kept low and they are slowly cooked as not to let them fat out makes a lot of sense to me.  I guess they shouldnt shrivel up if the heat it kept in check eh.  I've got some locally made andouille  in the freezer so I think I will thaw em out and cook em up!  The one thing I will do though is to use the Amazen. Light it up, turn the Yoder on low and throw the sausages in.  Dang I'm already hungry!
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline M in MAK

• MAK Grills
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
Great post Cliff! Very informative.  8) Good luck on those sausages bbqchef. I look forward to the pics.  ;D
MAK 2 Star #1058
www.makgrills.com

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks Cliff!

Took 3.5 hrs to get a IT of 150ish.  Came out perfect.  Got some locally made Chorizo, Spicy Italian and Apple Sage Breakfast sausages.  Perfect smoky flavor and not overcooked.  Set the Yoder at 150.  Of course it overshot to 190 initially so I opened the lid a sec or two and it settled to bout 160.  Bumped up temp on Yoder to 160 and it maintained 'tween 160-175 the rest of the cook.  Couldnt be happier! Now I know... thanks again.

John
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
Thanks Cliff!

Took 3.5 hrs to get a IT of 150ish.  Came out perfect.  Got some locally made Chorizo, Spicy Italian and Apple Sage Breakfast sausages.  Perfect smoky flavor and not overcooked.  Set the Yoder at 150.  Of course it overshot to 190 initially so I opened the lid a sec or two and it settled to bout 160.  Bumped up temp on Yoder to 160 and it maintained 'tween 160-175 the rest of the cook.  Couldnt be happier! Now I know... thanks again.

John

Good! Sounds like it worked out well. :)  Opening the lid when it overshot was a good call to keep them from getting heat shocked.

But...   WHERE ARE THE PICS?  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
Nice idea on the MacIver racks for the cooker... I'm gonna make some of those!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Clif,
Awesome post. Digging around the freezer now for some sausage.

Thanks
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
But...   WHERE ARE THE PICS?  :D

...erm, uh ::) Next time, fer sure.  It was late and honestly I just didn't think about it.
About the whole poking holes in the sausages thing though.  Just now watched BBQ University.  It's riveting host, Steven Raichlen was grilling sausage (raw) on a grill over indirect heat. He placed them on the grill and said "These sausages will probably take about 15 minutes per side.  Remember never pierce any kind of sausage when you're grilling it."

Of course what I was doing the other night was smoking sausages, he was grilling them.
So what are thoughts on this Cliff? If you are grilling sausages and you want them ready in 30 mins what would you change in technique? I realize there are a number of ways to cook sausage, poaching, smoking, grilling, etc. I was always told to never pierce the skin of sausage.  However many times I ended up with them cracking open and looking ugly or just being plain overcooked. The ones I smoked the other night were probably the best Ive ever done. I guess to summarize the question: when would you and when would you not pierce the skin. (Poaching?)
Thanks again.

John
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf