Author Topic: 22" OldSmokey grill/smoker  (Read 17680 times)

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
Re: 22" OldSmokey grill/smoker
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »
I got my Old Smokey in today, and got off early enough to assemble and do a burn in. The top and bottom pieces are seriously stuck together. Tried numerous devices to pry between the two rolled over seams, but it is a soft material. I sent them an email to see if they have any tricks. Wish I had a giant tub of boiling water available.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »
I got my Old Smokey in today, and got off early enough to assemble and do a burn in. The top and bottom pieces are seriously stuck together. Tried numerous devices to pry between the two rolled over seams, but it is a soft material. I sent them an email to see if they have any tricks. Wish I had a giant tub of boiling water available.

Can you heat the metal with a torch perhaps to get them to expand and seperate?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »
These are your basic thin bucket tin. That's where the company got it's start, making tin buckets. A high pressure steam cleaner would probably pop it loose, but I don't have access to one anymore.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »

Maybe some WD40.  You know the saying... if something is stuck and shouldn't be, use WD40 and if it isn't stuck and should be duct tape it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
Finally got the critter apart using a chunk of 1/2" square steel stock as a leverage point between the 2 rolled edges. Burning in now. Got the propane starter gizmo and am very impressed. This is after 5 minutes.

Turned of and let burn for 9 minutes or so, filled up one weber tray and closed the lid. Following Cap Jack, I started with bottom 1/2 open and top vents closed. Held very nice at 300 for about an hour.

dropped to 225, opened bottom to full got back to 300. Now after 2 & 1/2 hours its cruising at 225 or so. I will try a beer can chicken this weekend, should I use both of the Weber charcoal baskets
to get the proper temp for chicken?
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
Thanks' Jack, I'll go with both and keep an eye on it. When doing ribs with both baskets can you hold temps at 275 or so long enough to finish without adding coal?
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
I used to run my kettle around 230 just using one basket with no more than 25 briquettes in it....I wonder if that set up would work in the Old Smokey as well......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
Off we go! Trying a chicken stand I bought for a buck at a garage sale.

Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
That is a sweet stand...could you toss some veggies or cut up taters in that and let em get basted by the hot chicken drippins??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Maybe a little dark for some, but I like it this way. Just the smell of this bird is fantastic! Overall this is one slick little cooker. Ultra light weight, easy to pack up as the two halves pack together.
I think the RV crowd would like this grill, as it would be easy to store in the overhead due to it's very light weight. The wife tore into this bird before it even cooled down. Very juicy. I used 2 small chunks of Hickory in one side and 2 chunks of Cherry on the other. My Chicken cooks on the Traeger have been good, but there is nothing like charcoal with a kiss of wood for a nice change of pace.
I probably went to heavy with the rub, I used Zach's Hickory. The places with more rub were the darkest. If smoke were my neighbor I'd jump the fence and get into his Kingsford stash!
And yes, the box that the chicken stand came in said "As Seen on TV".

Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
Nothing wrong with that beauty!!  There are a bunch of back yards around this great country of ours that has an Old Smokey settin on it  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
SS I have to concur with you about charcoal and chicken. There is something magical about that mix. I love the chicken that comes off my PBC ;)

I don't even have to ask if the skin is crispy  :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
 I think I look at those Old Smokey's every time I go in the store.  Now I'll probably break down and get one.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »
I think I look at those Old Smokey's every time I go in the store.  Now I'll probably break down and get one.
Yep , I'm hooked as well.  I need a charcoal grill and this one is winning me over.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION