Author Topic: pretty darned excited  (Read 4228 times)

Barry CB Martin

Re: pretty darned excited
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
I had a CB940X and a CB offset smoker and a fat boy (rusted out)  but now a chance to get a standard grill w/o concern of brand!   Jack I will look into the Old Smokey before I pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:29:39 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »
Deb & I went to the CharBroil Store in Columbus last Friday.  I couldn't believe the selection of grills and the low "as is" pricing.  For instance, they has a beesr for $75.00.  We have one, so we didn't buy it. 
They had 2 (two) CB 940's priced at $250.00 each...like new!
They had the grill top infusers for $5.00 each...in the box.  We have 2 (two) so I didn't buy one.  Bags of wood chips and chunks in a variety of flavors for $1.00 each...bought several.  A very nice cover for TBE and Beesr for $5.00...bought one (1). 
They had half racks and leg racks for $3.00...didn't need those.

Also met a couple in there who were looking at the 4 Burner IR grills...SOLD one...they seemed happy.

After leaving CB HQ, we went to Masterbuilt HQ and picked up a 40" smoker as an "In-Warranty" replacement for one that died on us last month.  Those folks are committed to customer satisfaction - very nice to deal with.

It took us about 90 (ninety) minutes to get home...we then unloaded all our stuff.

A good time was had by all...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
Sounds like a fun time....nothing like a BBQ store...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:39 PM »
CJ - well we just happened to drive by Lowe's tonight and the car just naturally parked in front.  Miss Laura smiled and said - "OK" - but unfortunately the stocking and display of grills is/was lacking.  No Old Smokey at this store. Master Forge some el cheapo Char-Broil unit that was scary-badly made - and a Char-Griller - plus the Weber(s) under $100. That was the upper limit I set for myself on this challenge.

Finally decided based upon what was there and what I kinda thought would work "If I had only one grill"  I'll build it and take a photo for the reveal tomorrow.  8)

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
CJ - well we just happened to drive by Lowe's tonight and the car just naturally parked in front.  Miss Laura smiled and said - "OK" - but unfortunately the stocking and display of grills is/was lacking.  No Old Smokey at this store. Master Forge some el cheapo Char-Broil unit that was scary-badly made - and a Char-Griller - plus the Weber(s) under $100. That was the upper limit I set for myself on this challenge.

Finally decided based upon what was there and what I kinda thought would work "If I had only one grill"  I'll build it and take a photo for the reveal tomorrow.  8)

Good luck with that grill Barry......Can't wait for the Photo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:59:41 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
Jack, besides the half sized coal thingies and a chimney, is there anything else needed to get cooking? That might be a good one to throw in the trunk of a small car and cook for the guys at work.
I can get one shipped for free to Walmart for $57.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
I have an Old Smokey as well so I will chime in. :) If you get the charcoal baskets and the Weber hinged lid you are ready to grill and cook indirect with your OS! If ya just want to grill you can just use the OS the way it is. If you are going to be monitoring temps you can get a 2" or 3" OS thermometer and you can either mount it on the front of the lid above the logo like the Capt did or you can even mount it on the top of the lid like I did...both ways are great. Oh and get the 22" model, you will be glad ya did.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
Jack - I plan on calling them next week. I am writing a series of reviews on best grills for under $100.

Speaking of which, I pulled the trigger on a Weber Jumbo Joe. It fit all the criteria:

$59
Proven performance
Solid workmanship
Portability
Cooking capacity for a family of 4

I'll be asking you for your recommendations of other grills (charcoal, gas, electric) priced under $100 for the average family of four.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
Jack - I plan on calling them next week. I am writing a series of reviews on best grills for under $100.

Speaking of which, I pulled the trigger on a Weber Jumbo Joe. It fit all the criteria:

$59
Proven performance
Solid workmanship
Portability
Cooking capacity for a family of 4

I'll be asking you for your recommendations of other grills (charcoal, gas, electric) priced under $100 for the average family of four.

Barry I used the smaller version of that in our motorhome for a few years. Kinda small but cooked really well. You will need a cooking table to put it on as tall as you are. I had a 22.5 Weber One Touch Silver for years, it sells for $99 at Lowes and Academy these days. After about 10-12 years away from charcoal I recently bought a Weber Performer Gold that I am really enjoying, it runs around $250 without the propane charcoal starter. IMHO the 22.5 or 18 inch One Touch Silver grills ($99 and $79) would be a perfect fit a starter grill for the average family. They can be set up for direct, indirect or even smoking.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
I have an Old Smokey as well so I will chime in. :) If you get the charcoal baskets and the Weber hinged lid you are ready to grill and cook indirect with your OS! If ya just want to grill you can just use the OS the way it is. If you are going to be monitoring temps you can get a 2" or 3" OS thermometer and you can either mount it on the front of the lid above the logo like the Capt did or you can even mount it on the top of the lid like I did...both ways are great. Oh and get the 22" model, you will be glad ya did.......

as they say, "one trick pony"

They sure are purdy when they are new  :)  Of course, that doesn't last long..cause they are way too much fun to cook on  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »
So the hinged grate gives you access to load coals? Will it do several racks of ribs without a reload?
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
That is one of the best grill designs of all time.  I bought my son in law one a few months back. He looked disappointed at first but now he loves it.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
That is one of the best grill designs of all time.  I bought my son in law one a few months back. He looked disappointed at first but now he loves it.
I does not look like a lot of fancy grills but for the price and what Capt and Rick have been cooking on theirs makes me want one.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
I does not look like a lot of fancy grills but for the price and what Capt and Rick have been cooking on theirs makes me want one.

The OS is low budget but it sure do cook/smoke some vittles. Like CJ said before put the OS up against another cooker.

My WSM is sitting in the storage shed  :o
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
Fancy cookers don't make good food - good cooks make good food. Sure a "fancy" cooker can give you some tools and opportunities to do some things. And if you have one and use it to your advantage - that is wonderful. But Capt Jack and others are showing us that the most basic cooker can reliably turn out excellent meals. I find that even with (according to SWMBO) too many cookers on the deck, I tend to use the simplest ones - my well rusted CB500X and PBC. I have come to believe that the cooker we believe in will turn out the best food.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #