Author Topic: Water Heater as outdoor cooker?  (Read 20383 times)

Barry CB Martin

Water Heater as outdoor cooker?
« Reply #-1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with water heaters - and I'm not certain of the viability of this idea, but after reading this multi-step article about turning the metal core of a water heater into an outdoor fireplace perhaps it would be possible to use the same materials for a cooker? 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Phase-1-Electric-Hot-Water-Tank-to-Outdoor-Wood-/step2/Cut-Out/

Aren't many water heaters today made with fiberglass tanks? I honestly don't know....  8)

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Water Heater as outdoor cooker?
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »
Now you've done it. Now Tommy will see this and he will come up with one with an infrared cooking grate and a pellet pooper on the side.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
We have one sitting outside the shop by the scrap metal bin. I've  been eye balling it but i just cant drag anymore stuff home. It has a manufacture date of 1960  so its a good solid one.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
I like it.  turn that sucker on its side and cut it open and make a fine burger cooking machine.  I can't bring anything home bbq related for along time.  I got the "evil eye" when the mak 1 star showed up after selling it.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:07:20 AM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
I like it.  turn that sucked on its side and cut it open and make a fine burger cooking machine.  I can't bring anything home bbq related for along time.  I got the "evil eye" when the mak 1 star showed up after selling it.   ;)

I know how you feel Sparky, the ball and chain has made the patio part of her daily rounds....... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
Now you've done it. Now Tommy will see this and he will come up with one with an infrared cooking grate and a pellet pooper on the side.
HA HA HA , first thought in my little mind when I looked at the picture was how can I add a pellet hopper  ;) ;)

Ken you know me well!

ROLL TIDE
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
CB the inner tanks are steel. The only issue I see is that most water heaters you find that have been scrapped will probably have major corrosion inside. A new tank is quite expensive so finding a tank in good shape will prove difficult IMHO. The condition of the tank will only a be discovered after spending time dis-assembling the water heater case, removing the insulation and then cutting into the inner tank for a look at it's condition.

Sounds like a lot of work and fabrication. Obviously it can be done. Heck you can make an outdoor cooker out of a truck bed tool box! ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
In the past 15 years they have been lining the tanks with a ceramic coating so the tank would last longer. They used lighter gauge steel and the tanks usually rust and leak at the threaded heater element areas or the water inlet and outlet areas.
I think it would be really neat if someone made one of these or something like it that cooked meat. Heck maybe I will see if I can have this beauty.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
If you want to make a homemade cooker, especially for your forum, a 55 gal. barrel will make either a good vertical smoker or a Horizonal grill/ smoker very inexpensively.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp