Author Topic: Tacos al Carbon  (Read 924 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Tacos al Carbon
« Reply #-1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
This is one my favorite dinners to serve good friends.  Most people have never had it before.  I got this recipe from a fellow co-worker from Texas.  He spent a lot of time in the Houston area when this recipe became fairly famous in Texas.  This is my version, which is pretty close to the one I was introduced to back the early 80’s.

These are the basic players in this game.  I took a flank steak and marinated it with soy sauce, vodka and minced garlic for about twenty four hours.  The vodka helps to tenderize this piece of meat.  I have used gin or Jack Daniel’s or a robust red wine like a Merlot to help tenderize the meat.  Each imparts a slightly different finish to the marinade.

The marinated flank steak is ready to go on the hot grill.  I cranked the MAK up to high and measured the temps of my grill grates using my IR thermometer.  652 degrees!  That is hot enough to put some sear marks on the meat!

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen we are getting the “fixin’s” ready.  Some sour cream, black olives, chopped green onions, and some salsa.

In my one-piece double boiler I have added the Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies after running it through my blender and adding about a pound of Velveeta cheese until it all blended together into a nice cheese sauce.  I use this stuff on scrambled eggs, omelets, even English muffins.  It makes a good all-purpose dip for anytime.

Now it’s time to slice the meat.  Voila, sliced flank steak!

In my 8” tortilla holder, I have a stack of flour tortillas ready to be used for the meal.

Different people do this in a different order, but this is the way I like to make mine.  I put a slice, or two, of the flank steak into flour tortilla and fold it over in thirds.  Next I added a layer of the Rotel cheese sauce.  After that I added the black olives, green onions, salsa and sour cream.  A nice glass of red wine (in this case a really fine Malbec) or a Fat Tire would be the appropriate adult beverages of choice. 

It seems that every time I make this recipe, there are very few leftovers.  I guess I need to start doubling up on everything if I want leftovers.  Hope you enjoyed viewing this dish.  It’s really easy to make.  Try it and see if you have the same results.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Tacos al Carbon
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »
Oh yeah!!!!!.......That is some fine lookin' food Art!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
ACW3, that is some great looking tacos al carbon. The only thing that I would add is to always slice flank steak thinly across the grain. That makes it almost seem like a tender cut of meat.  I've never marinated in Vodka or wine, but I will now. Thanks for the suggestion. We love tacos al carbon in Houston.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Outrageous!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
Looks delicious. To make it an even more Texas dish you could use Tito's Handmade Vodka.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
I have been known to add some "white liquor" when I can get it to the marinade.  That will really tenderize the meat (and you too if you're not careful).

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Rip

• Bellevue, NE
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
Looks great Art! Glad to see you're cooking again.
MAK 2 Star #385
Lil Tex (gone to ChiTown) 8)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
I actually cooked that meal before I had shoulder surgery.  I will be limited in my cooking for another couple of weeks.  Right now my right arm is still in a sling and I have been instructed to not try to lift anything with that arm.  I need to clean my MAK, but it would be too heavy for me right now to take apart. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11