Author Topic: My modified Bradley Smoker  (Read 30975 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: My modified Bradley Smoker
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
I did some mods to my Bradley as well. 900 watt element and circ fan. The difference is night and day.
And he sent me his old element and his spare, Still have them :)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »
Wow, that is quite the setup.

I think Tim "the tool man" Taylor just shed a tear of happiness.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
I love it!   I think you done real good Muebe. Now if Bradley would just take a few of your ideas and upgrade there cooker it would be great!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »
I love it!   I think you done real good Muebe. Now if Bradley would just take a few of your ideas and upgrade there cooker it would be great!

I completely agree - I love my Bradley, but am somewhat disappointed that the company has not incorporated modifications that many people like muebe have made to improve the product.  For instance, doors falling off necessitating clever hinge replacements, or the 500 watt heating element that almost makes me feel like I'm trying to cook in a Suzie Home Maker oven (the old kids toy heated using a light bulb).  I'd pay extra for plug-n-play mods like a better heating element, convection fan, and the fat drip collection method.  I still worry about the water pan running out of water, filling with fuel (fat) and throwing glowing pucks into the fuel.  Maybe I'm just paranoid but something just feels wrong about dripping fat onto glowing pucks.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

I completely agree - I love my Bradley, but am somewhat disappointed that the company has not incorporated modifications that many people like muebe have made to improve the product.  For instance, doors falling off necessitating clever hinge replacements, or the 500 watt heating element that almost makes me feel like I'm trying to cook in a Suzie Home Maker oven (the old kids toy heated using a light bulb).  I'd pay extra for plug-n-play mods like a better heating element, convection fan, and the fat drip collection method.  I still worry about the water pan running out of water, filling with fuel (fat) and throwing glowing pucks into the fuel.  Maybe I'm just paranoid but something just feels wrong about dripping fat onto glowing pucks.
If the weather is 45 or less I refuse to use my Bradley.  it takes way to long for it to heat up in that weather
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
Mike, very nice work and very ingenious.

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:35 PM »
Here are the mods I have done to my Bradley Smoker.

I really like your cold soke adapter, muebe, and want to incorporate it into my Bradley - do you have much smoke exiting the "Y" tube where the pucks exit?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
If the pipe is cold there is some smoke that comes out the puck dump pipe. But as soon as the pipe starts to warm up there is a natural draw that is created pulling the smoke up in to the cabinet.

That is why the cooling fan runs on a thermostat. If you cool the pipe too much on a cold day the smoke can come out that pipe.

The fan is mainly for the summer time when the ambient air is really warm. During winter cold smoking the fan is not used normally.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the draft would be like a fireplace.