Author Topic: "Please Don't Pass The Sauce" Baby Back Ribs  (Read 1367 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
"Please Don't Pass The Sauce" Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »
Started with 4 racks of Baby Back Ribs. Normally I get the St.Louis style but these were on sale and I love the Baby Backs  ;)

Each rack had a different rub. Kerry and Loni's Meat Rub, Instant Gourmet Original, Billy Bob's Que Pork Rib Rub, and Golden Flake Sweet Heat Rub. Each rack was generously rubbed and given a overnight stay in the fridge for the flavors to get happy...

Next day fired up the Traeger. PID was set to 235F above grill temp at center of grill. Hopper was loaded with maple and cherry pellets. Smoke Daddy was loaded with cherry chips for the first hour...

After 2 hours each rack was pulled and foiled with dark brown sugar, honey, and unsalted butter. Then back on the Traeger for another 2 hours at the same temp except for silver side up this time...

I pulled after 2 more hours and let them rest for a few. Then I unfoiled them and poured the liquid goodness that formed in the foil on each rack...

So obviously there was a favorite among the rubs. In all honesty every rack was fantastic and all winners. There was a little bit of difference between tenderness among racks but I imagine this is due to salt content of the rub. They were all very tender though.

In this challenge the clear winner was the Instant Gourmet. I got this stuff for free and man it is great. It is good on pretty much everything. Very flavorful.

Number two was Billy Bob's Que. Great rib rub and has a very distinct flavor. You cannot mistake it for another rub  and that is a good thing IMHO.

Number three was Kerry and Loni's. I got this stuff in the Bradley Christmas Exchange and I am surprised at how good of a rub it is.

And last was the Sweet Heat. Has a great spicy flavor and those ribs were the most tender due to it's tenderizing agents but it lacks a depth of flavor that the other rubs have. Not that it tasted bad but just not as good as the others.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: "Please Don't Pass The Sauce" Baby Back Ribs
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »
They all look good to me!! If someone asked for sauce for those beauties I would take em out back behind the wood shed!!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: "Please Don't Pass The Sauce" Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
They ALL look good!!!  Nice job!  Those close-ups were making my mouh water.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11