Author Topic: Let's talk Weber  (Read 9986 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Let's talk Weber
« Reply #-1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
A month or so ago, I was walking through Lowes and they were clearing out their summer grilling equipment and had a special on quite a few of their products, some of which were display items. That's when I decided to purchase a Weber Kettle which included the rotissieri, indirect heating trays, and a few other items for $75.00. Since then I purchased the rapid charcoal can to fire up the charcoal, the Kettlepizza attachment and the cast iron insert for grilling steaks and burgers. You can also obtain a wok, griddle, and few other things to fit into the insert. Many of these items can be purchased from Amazon and another company called Firecraft who also have good product selectiona and good prices.

Others have turned their Kettles into smoking machines using Smokenators that seem to do incredible things like an offset smoker. Sparky1 has produced outstanding ribs and other wonderful creations on the Weber. And, I can't wait to see the cooks from Smokeasaurus.

All in all, I am quite impressed with the Weber and never dreamed that it had such versatility. I might not have purchased my pellet smoker if I was aware of this capability. But, that's ok.

I have watched while many of you have produced outstanding dishes on this Kettle or the sister product, the Weber Smokey Mountain. So many companies have provided a lot of innovation for aftermarket attachments and products for this one device such as Smokenator and Kettlepizza. And, there are other products like Cajun Bandit, and Smoke EZ that also turn the product into a smoker.

Let's hear your comments about the Weber Kettle and share with us the many uses and devices that you have added.

thanks,

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Let's talk Weber
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »
I have a lil Weber at the campground..only thing wrong with it is that it is not big enough. So watching this to see comments..am thinking the 22"'er.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
I love mine.  for my high school graduation my dad asked me what I wanted.  I told him a weber kettle.  still have a few.  been cooking on them for over 40 years (did I say that out loud?).  my wife and I 1st weber was the smokey joe.  we have made some great meals on the little guy.  just the two of us in our 20's cooking things like crab legs or lobster tails w/ filets (no kids back then). the I had a 18" weber kettle.  wow, I was in heaven.  i'm not leaning on the ground and the one touch thing.  oh my.  the best thing weber ever did.  welp, we had some kids (when are these little money pits moving out?) and got a 22" kettle.  does it get any better than this.  look at all the room I had.  ribs, chicken, tri's, butts, turkeys.  I could do anything.  and the best part was I could take it to tailgate parties, beach, camping.  I love my weber kettle.  and all the toys you can buy for a weber 22".  a lot of them.  I have most according to my wife.  I bought my son a weber performer, my daughter one too.  bought my older daughter a weber kettle.  what?  I like webers. 

shhhhhh:  don't tell anyone but if my wife goes on another business trip I would like to get the old weber silver bbq emblem (its on all the weber wheels and knobs) tattoo'd on my calf.  my 18" wsm on my other calf.  won't be for awhile thou.  don't tell my wife.  shhhhhhh.   :-X
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Sam3

Let's talk Weber
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
I have three.  The Weber portable (small rectangular one), 22.5 Platinum and the 22.5 WSM. Each has its own use, but the Platinum is used the most.
Ever since smoke showed me how to do a brisket on the Platinum, I have a renewed interest with the charcoal cookers. 
The brisket cook was not a set it and forget it cook. It was something I tended to all day. And to be honest, it was fun. I never did anything like that before.

Love the Webers.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
I've had my Performer (blue, gas starter) for about six years.  On the plus side you can do just about anything in it -- grill, smoke, bake, adapt for pizzas, get a wok ring, griddle, etc., etc.  On the minus side there is a space limitation caused by the dome (big/tall stuff has to go in the center) and you'll need to allot some time to tend it (add coals -- adjust baffles for temps) on long cooks.  The best features are the gas starter (quick and easy), the attached work table, and the ash catch pan under the bottom vents.  I still use it now and then but it is nowhere near as versatile or roomy as my pellet machines.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
I've had two Weber kettles for several years now, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

As Hub said - space limitation is about the only issue I have with my kettle & Performer. For a majority of my other cooks, they will do everything I need. They are economical, using little fuel and they can do anything. I have done everything from burgers & dogs to pizza, to low & slow cooks.

About the only mod I have done to mine is use a couple of fire bricks a few inches from one side to make an indirect/Minion setup for longer cooks, sometimes up to 10 hrs. without refueling. I wouldn't mind a rotisserie and a  kettle pizza setup, but only if Santa Claus brings them my way.   8)

Otherwise, I am very satisfied with my Weber Kettles and I hope to have them for a long time. My father had one for nearly 20 years, and he was not nice to it.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
I've had my Weber Performer (Green) with the gas lighter for several years. It is a workhorse - almost anything I can imagine cooking has been cooked on this grill. As Ed points out, there are a zillion gadgets and accessories, I've tried a bunch and many are great. But, at the end of the day, I don't use that many any more. I do like the Kettle Pizza device - it really works. The other ones that I really like are the cast iron grates. I can drop in a griddle, grates, beer can chicken holder, etc. They grab and hold heat and are easy to lift if I need to add some charcoal or wood chunks. I really do enjoy the little propane charcoal starter - easy, no fluid, just gets the coals going. And the ash catcher is wonderful.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »
About the only mod I have done to mine is use a couple of fire bricks a few inches from one side to make an indirect/Minion setup for longer cooks, sometimes up to 10 hrs. without refueling. I wouldn't mind a rotisserie and a  kettle pizza setup, but only if Santa Claus brings them my way.   

Some pictures and explanation of this technique would be most appreciated! It could go in the Tips and Tricks....please?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
About the only mod I have done to mine is use a couple of fire bricks a few inches from one side to make an indirect/Minion setup for longer cooks, sometimes up to 10 hrs. without refueling. I wouldn't mind a rotisserie and a  kettle pizza setup, but only if Santa Claus brings them my way.   8)

I'd like to see / understand your mod.

I have a rotisserie - but don't use it anymore since I found the PBC.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
I've had a 14, 18 & 22 kettle.
18 WSM all covered by others.
I've bought a Q-220 & a Q-320 for kids & not only are they great grills for quik cooks but nearly indistructable ::)
My son has had a Q220 uncovered on his deck for 6 years ( yes he had a cover at one time)
It hasn't rusted, it still lights & cooks fine , just a little faded!
Q-320 too new to judge but I expect it'll last a long time!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Pappymn

Let's talk Weber
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
Got a Weber Performer to begin my BBQ charcoal adventure 1 year ago. Been loving learning on charcoal. Got grill grates for it.....which are awesome. That was a nice buy you got VOD!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive my friends.

At first, I was using a couple of pavers wrapped in foil as shown below. Notice the foil pans to catch drippy things. I hate to have to scour & scrub my kettle, so these days neatness counts.   8)

I have since been told this is a big no-no, since basic concrete/portland cement can contain moisture & this could cause the bricks to crack or worse, explode. Now, I use a couple of fire bricks bought from Ace Hardware for around $12/6 bricks. These are longer and taller than standard bricks, and most folks use them to line wood stoves. They are made for extremely high temps, so I have no worries about anything bad happening.

After some digging, I cannot find pics of the setup with fire bricks. Guess I will have to cook something this weekend to show the setup. Oh well. I am glad to take one for the team when necessary!  ;D

What I like to do is cover 3/4 of the charcoal grate with heavy duty foil. This promotes good airflow up to the coals and helps keep the mess down. Then, I put in the fire bricks, about 4" from one side of the grill. I add charcoal (usually K Blue) inside the fire bricks up to about 3" from one end. This gives room for 10-20 lit coals for a Minion method start. Depending on the cook temp, you can get anywhere from 4-8 hrs. burn time, and my kettles maintain temps from 250-300° fairly well. All you have to do is adjust the bottom intake vent about halfway open and leave the top vent wide open unless temps creep up too high.

The real trick is to get your temp fairly stable and close to where you want it before you put on whatever you are cooking. Kettles seem to maintain temps much better if you aren't chasing the temp up & down, and especially if you can catch the temp on the way up and keep it within a certain range for the entire cook.

Another method that I have used recently I call the "ring of fire". Just to be clever, I may end up calling this Johnny Cash for obvious reasons. Here's a pic of that setup:

I used more hickory in this cook than usual because these were smallish pieces that didn't burn very long.

I put a half pan under this butt to catch the drips, again avoiding greasy gunk in the bottom of the grill. I have seen grills flare up when you cook over high heat after letting grease build up in the bottom of the grill, and I guess I am attached to my eyebrows, so I don't want to have that happen. Also, a little work on the front end will save you cleanup on the back end and will have your grill ready for the next cook in no time.

Ironically, this setup with K Blue briquettes had a hard time staying @ 250°, believe it or not. Next time I use this setup, I will put a row of three briquettes on the bottom and two on top instead of two and one.

I can watch the basic temps with an inexpensive Taylor candy thermometer, around $9-10 at most stores. No, this isn't as precise as some more expensive thermometers out there, but I have learned to cook more by feel than temp, and I use this thermometer purely to make sure that things don't get out of hand temp wise rather than trying to maintain an exact temp.  A Boston butt isn't very picky about the cook temp and that's mostly what I cook low & slow on my kettle. I usually try to stay around 250-275°, and most 8 lb. butts will go anywhere from 8-12 hrs. Like they say, "it's done when it's done." I will foil butts in two layers of HD foil and put them back on the grill to speed up the process a little. Here's my thermometer in action. I bent the clip that comes with it so it will stay fairly snug in the vent hole.

I promise to get some good pics that I will add to this post over the weekend. Feel free to ask questions and hopefully I can help.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
Haven't had a kettle in years, but you all are sure making me want to have one again.  I do have the 22.5 WSM, so I guess I can still be part of the Weber club.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Thanks, tnjimbob - this is very helpful. I'm going to try the ring of fire this weekend. Look forward to anything else you offer.
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
One of the things that I have found is interchangeability of parts of different Weber products. I wanted to get a smoke ring to contain the charcoal in the center of the grill so that I could cook more centered over the cast iron grill. So, I purchased the smoke ring of the 18.5 inch WSM and placed it into my 22.5 inch Kettle on top of the charcoal grill grate which is 16 inches. This works great for direct heat. Here's a picture. The ring is 14 inches in diameter.

I filled the center area to cook steaks and pork chops and it works great!

Then I figured out that the outside of the ring would make a great area for indirect cooking such as on the rotissieri making a chicken or without the rotissieri just smoking meat by placing chunks of wood on the coals. What I am suggesting is circle the outer ring with charcoal but do not make the ends meet. Pour a dozen hot coals on one side and let them burn at the beginning of that end. You will find that you can get 10 hours out of that ring and by adjusting the bottom damper and the damper on the lid, keep the temperature at 225 to 250 degrees.

Now, wait, I am not finished. By taking a steel pizza pan that is 14 inches wide, you place this on top of the inner circle to make sure that the heat is diffused to the edge of the kettle. Then place a pan full of water on that pizza pan to add moisture to the air. Now you have an elementary smoker.

The ring costs $39.00 and the pizza pan is $15.00 on Amazon.com. If you have a "Prime" account, 2 day shipping is free.

If you open up the WSM, you will see the same concept deployed. If you look at two other products that convert the Weber Kettle to a smoker i.e. the Smoke EZ and the Cajun Bandit, you will also see the same concept deployed.

If you purchase a "Hovergrill" from Smokenator, you can raise the base of the standard grill and have 17.5 inches of space to add your chicken or ribs higher into the dome of the kettle. The price of the "Hovergrill" is $15.95. You can also use the Hasty Bake-small grill extender which looks very sturdy and is 13 1/2" long x 11 3/4" wide x 3" tall. This can be purchased from Big Poppa's for $24.95.

In terms of options, plenty to choose from and lot's of flexibility. Frankly, I am not aware of too many products that have this extensive versatility.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:13:54 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.