Author Topic: WEBER KETTLE/PERFORMER TIPS AND TRICKS  (Read 25406 times)

Offline Pappymn

WEBER KETTLE/PERFORMER TIPS AND TRICKS
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
Like Sparky said in a previous post:  Old School is best.

Heck I still send all my bills out in the mail. In case anyone forgot...stamps still dont taste good when ya lick em........... :P

Haven't the adhesive stamps made it to Cali yet? ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline grossie

Re: WEBER KETTLE/PERFORMER TIPS AND TRICKS
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Smoke ordered his adhesive stamps via Pony Express...should be there by Christmas. 
;-)
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
 :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RAD

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
Not sure if this goes here but I thought this was shareable

http://www.weber.com/mobile-apps/weber-grills
Love to cook and eat

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
  My recent purchase of the Weber Performer has me wondering what took me so long.  I have friends that have them , I have bought them as gifts for the kids. I had a mini kettle years ago that I found on the side of the road. We worked it over for a couple years and really liked it.
  This thing is great. Meat is just awesome on it.
 I will try cowboy charcoal on it next. The Kingsford is good but it has to be very well started to avoid an off flavor it seems to have. I have not noticed this on the tank but there is a lot more room to breath on it. Stubbs does really well though and Ill use it if nothing else going forward.
 I used the coal trays that came with it and they are fine but I also used a bunt cake pan in the center. that works really well.
 One thing is for sure. When I go out the door I head straight for this grill now.
I plan on adding a nomex seal to the lid as it leaks a little.

Note, I think that "OFF" flavor is what some folks are getting on the PBC's . If so let the coals burn a bit longer before you start the cook.  Or use Stubbs...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
  My recent purchase of the Weber Performer has me wondering what took me so long.  I have friends that have them , I have bought them as gifts for the kids. I had a mini kettle years ago that I found on the side of the road. We worked it over for a couple years and really liked it.
 I will try cowboy charcoal on it next. The Kingsford is good but it has to be very well started to avoid an off flavor it seems to have. I have not noticed this on the tank but there is a lot more room to breath on it. Stubbs does really well though and Ill use it if nothing else going forward.
 I used the coal trays that came with it and they are fine but I also used a bunt cake pan in the center. that works really well.
 One thing is for sure. When I go out the door I head straight for this grill now.
I plan on adding a nomex seal to the lid as it leaks a little.

Your "bunt" pan looks an awful lot like a Vortex, bet it would work about the same as well.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
Ok,
Bunt should be bundt.
And I think in actuality it may be an Angel cake pan.
I did get the idea of the pan from looking at the Vortex. However I have been useing small containers for extra charcoal  in the big tank for many years to help maintain higher temps when needed.   
The bundt or angel pan was $4at Tuesday Morning's clearance bin.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
Great pick up!  But, whenever I hear that word, I immediately go to this:

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »

First, I'm just gonna say I'm insanely jealous of the deal you got on your performer...  im looking to buy a weber this week, but I can't decide between the performer and the performer premium..  I actually prefer the smaller, foldable table on the premium, but I'm thinking the charcoal storage on the perf. Prem. may be worth the extra money...  I've never really cooked with charcoal, and I'm wondering what those without that charcoal storage bin do to store the charcoal in a convenient location...  Does anyone know of a way to mod the performer to add a charcoal storage bin?
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
I have a couple of Kingsford Kaddy containers I use :

http://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-Kaddy-Charcoal-Dispenser-Container/dp/B002HO27WQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1464982793&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=kingsford+kaddy

Plus the charcoal container under my Weber Performer. I was afraid the Weber storage would let the charcoal get damp but have not had a problem. With the Kaddys and the Performer I can store regular charcoal, lump and wood chunks separate.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

WEBER KETTLE/PERFORMER TIPS AND TRICKS
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »

First, I'm just gonna say I'm insanely jealous of the deal you got on your performer...  im looking to buy a weber this week, but I can't decide between the performer and the performer premium..  I actually prefer the smaller, foldable table on the premium, but I'm thinking the charcoal storage on the perf. Prem. may be worth the extra money...  I've never really cooked with charcoal, and I'm wondering what those without that charcoal storage bin do to store the charcoal in a convenient location...  Does anyone know of a way to mod the performer to add a charcoal storage bin?
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that locks on with a rubber gasket. Works great
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
Terry, when I want to do steaks or something that is high heat and seared I will take the Weber baskets and turn them over and heat up about ΒΌ basket of bricks and go direct over the heat. Almost like a cowboy cook without touching the coals.

Love to cook and eat