Author Topic: Traeger Junior and controllers.....  (Read 3325 times)

Offline apsmoker

Traeger Junior and controllers.....
« Reply #-1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Hi all,

I am a newbie to pellet grills and I purchased a Junior from Costco.  I have run some meals through it and it works just fine. I do understand the limitations etc. and I have a pretty good understanding of how it works. Mine originally came with the 3 step controller and not the digital. I like to tinker, and I am an engineer so I have some understanding of how things work. I have been making some mods to mine. I have a gasket on the lid, have added firebricks. In the process of adding some larger wheels and casters. The one thing I wanted from day one was the digital temp controller. So I started researching as soon as the smoker came home and have done a lot of reading and searching on the net and in forums. So after all this long winded intro I have some questions and basically a sanity check of the direction I want to go.

I just wanted to say that I have been using my Junior with the 3 temp controller, I watch it carefully and I have had some good success with it, but I realize there are a lot of limitations with that type of controller. I do not plan on getting a different smoker until I can't do what I want with this one. This one fits where I have a good place for it, it works for what I want to do at this point in time. I do want to add some other items, wish I could find a hopper extension, I am not much of a metal worker. Electronics, computers etc. yes, welding and sheet metal.... no...   :)

I understand the limitations of the Junior and I do know that will have temperature swings etc. I can deal with that. The size is good for what we want and it is just my wife and I and we also live in southern California, so it will not be all that cold. So basically it comes down to two choices. I had ordered the latest and greatest controller from Ortech, I have it in hand but have not installed it yet. The reason being I ran across the SSII after I had ordered the Ortech. I can send the Ortech back under the 30 day return policy. I want the SSII because of the added features. The built in auger switch, fan switch, fan speed while smoking, cool down cycle, and lots of parameters to change and tinker with on occasion. It also allows interfacing with the wifi monitor, which being a techy geek really appeals to me, more gadgets. The only drawback is the SSII is not in stock. I know it will not fit directly and needs a spacer and alternative mounting. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks before one is available.

So my sanity check is this, is the SSII worth getting just because I want all those other features? Is it actually going to gain me a little over the Ortech? I suppose I could add the switches for fan control etc. with the Ortech but I would much rather it be in one package and done. I have no problem paying more for something that will save me time, and I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel by just buying a PID and going through the programming, etc. I ma not expecting miracles and super stability, just want some practical features and some improvements over the manual 3 temp setting controller.

Thanks for  taking the time to ponder this....

Alan
PS here is hoping the SSII comes in stock soon.............

Offline slaga

Re: Traeger Junior and controllers.....
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
I would make the upgrade to the SSII if I were in your shoes. With the smaller cooking area, you will experience greater temp swings than the larger pits though. This can be combatted with lowering your maximum fuel rate (OutH). In any case, it should be better than the Traeger or Ortech digital controllers with a few more bells and whistles too.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
Ok so there is a big difference between the Ortech and Traeger digital controller to the SSII or any other PID based controller.

The Ortech and Traeger controller run standard parameters based on the reading of the RTD. They are not "smart". They will run the same parameters every time. They run off of programmed timings. These timings create swings and you will get different results depending on ambient temps, wind, food load, pellets, etc. The p-settings are to compensate for these conditions.

A PID controller is smart. It will actually make adjustments using mathematical calculations based on the programmed parameters. It will also make adjustments as necessary to keep the temp as close to setpoint on-the-fly. It is a small computer. It is learning as it controls your cooker.

The SSII is a PID controller that has been modified. There is a high and low fan switch. The low fan speed is great for temps under 300F. It slows down the blower so that less air is moving into the cooker keeping more stable temps. This is especially important on a smaller cooker like the Junior and the PTG. I have a SSII installed on my PTG. The low fan speed setting makes a big difference IMHO.

If you can wait I would get the SSII or build your own PID controller. I had made a PID controller for my Junior and it worked really well once I dialed it in. I used the project box that Auberins sells to mount the custom PID in.

The SSII will not direct fit in the Junior. The controller is too deep so a mounting adapter plate would be needed to mount it.

But the answer is a definite yes. The SSII is worth it if you can wait to get one.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline apsmoker

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
Many thanks Slaga and Muebe. I will go the SSII route and hopefully they will be in stock sooner rather than later. Muebe I seen a lot of your posts and modifications, very nice. Thanks for the advice and all useful posts that I have seen about settings and problems solving.

Alan

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »
The SSII is the way to go!!  It will do everything you need done to make your Junior a very capable cooking machine. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
I have been trying to get a savannah stoker for about 6 months...can't ever seem to catch them when they are in stock
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner