Author Topic: 'Practice' turkey  (Read 2289 times)

PoppyBill

'Practice' turkey
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
Since Thanksgiving is just around the corner I thought it would be a good idea to cook a 'practice' turkey. Uh... especially since I volunteered to serve same to our family gathering on my new, and much bragged-about, cooker. Seemed the best way to aleviate the self-induced pressure.  :-[

Here's last Sunday's victim subject. Nothing special... just a plain ole turkey from the grocery store. It was a little over 14# and had been 'processed' with salt, etc.

In keeping with my plan to "keep it simple 'till I'm good" promise to myself, the seasoning consisted of a dusting of Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and Old Bay. After that it went back in the fridge for ~1 1/2 hours.

While the bird was waiting I fired up Yoda at the default temp of 350*. Of course I had probes here and there to watch temps, otherwise nothing special. I did pull the damper out ~5-6 inches.

Yoda had about an hour to get up to temp and stabilize. Not that it needed it, but a video call from our son and newest granddaughter had our attention for a while. Technology still amazes me.  :)

Once back to the task at hand the bird hit the grate.

Picking up my old habits I settled in on the computer to catch up and piddle. The temps were staying close to the setting, and temp balance was even enough that I didn't try messing with the damper. About 2 3/4 hours later I glanced up at the Maverick and was shocked to see the IT was at 171*!  :o  But this is the first time 'smoking' at that high of a temp, so I guess that was about normal.

Anyway here's what I found when I opened the lid.

:P My little instant-read thermometer was used to confirm internal temps, and off for a loose tenting of foil. I didn't get pics of the final product (still trying to get into posting cooks), but when I started 'slicing' I found the turkey to be very juicy and tender, and smelled wonderful. A few samplings from me and my wife confirmed that it tasted as good as it smelled.

Once all the meat was put away I put all the bones, fat, neck, etc in a big pot to simmer for a few hours. I ended up with my first home-made turkey stock! Now I need to look around for ideas on what to do with it.

After that experience you would think the T-day pressure would be gone and for a little while it was. Then my wife came home with a 24# bird for the big day. Not sure if I'll tackle that, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Thanks for lookin'...

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: 'Practice' turkey
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Bill - it looks great! Really nice job on the bird!

At 350F you are not going to get more than a "hint" or "kiss" of smoke, and some folks like that just fine. Sometimes I want more smoke profile tho, and for me - the easiest way to do it is to put an Amazen smoker tube below the drip pan ( after lighting it of course ) in a Yoder or similar designed pit.

You cold smoke it for an hour or 2 - more if you like. Just BE SURE to bring the internal temp.  up to 165F to kill of any bacteria that might have had a chance to take hold during the long cold smoking. Then when you light the grill - whether you cook it at 350F or lower -you now have a nice smoke "base layer"

As a precaution, you might want to check not only the thickest part of the breast, but also the joint where the thigh and the hip of the turkey meet. If the bone in that joint is at 165F - you should be good all over the turkey. But at 171 in the breast - I would bet it was done at the thigh joint just fine.

Again - really pretty color orb that turkey- looking forward to seeing some more of your cooks!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
That is a fine looking bird.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
Great advice from Teesquare.  I also like to smoke my Turkeys for ~ 2 hours before bumping the temp to 325-350ºF and taking it to an IT of 170ºF.  For big birds I also like to use one of those roasting pans for easy handling and catching drippings for gravy.  Here's a photo of a 20 pounder ... sure made it easy to carry in and out and allowing it to rest under a foil tent.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
Looks perfect to me.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

'Practice' turkey
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Looks excellent. Freeze that turkey stock you made for Thanksgiving. Will really come in handy for homemade gravy.....which is a must
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
Beautiful bird Bill! Nice job.  Ahem.....what time is dinner on turkey day?   ;)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »
love the color of your yardbird.  it looks tasty.   :)

I also like to smoke my Turkeys for ~ 2 hours before bumping the temp to 325-350ºF and taking it to an IT of 170ºF.  i like to use one of those roasting pans for easy handling and catching drippings for gravy.

that's how I do it every year.  just like that ^^^^.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »
Looks great Bill. Great color.

Since this was a practice Turkey, how about if I come help you practice eating it?  ::)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
Looks great Bill. Great color.

Since this was a practice Turkey, how about if I come help you practice eating it?  ::)

;D ;D ;D

Great looking bird! I'd say you're ready for the main event.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

PoppyBill

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I was quite pleased when I opened the hatch and saw that bird!   ;D

T - You're exactly right... it had just a hint of smoke flavor. I'll probably do what you, Pete, and Sparky suggest. I don't have a tube smoker, but do have an AMNPS I could use. I'm thinking I could also just set the temp for 150* (where it really smokes) and let it go like that for a while. And Pete, that bird of yours don't look too hard to eat either!  :P

Pappy - It's already there! My wife makes grave every year and I can't wait to see how it turns out using the stock.

hiker, Tent... you guys are so generous offering to 'help', but unfortunately half already went to my daughter's family, and the other half... well... you see there's a reason my cook posts are always a day or two behind.  ;)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
That bird looks absolutely delicious Bill!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline grossie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
That turkey could be on the cover of a magazine. Beautiful!
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
I plan to do a SRG turkey this year, and hope it turns out as good as what I'm seeing here

PoppyBill

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks very much guys. But seeing how little I did to the bird I'd have to give most of the credit to the cooker... it does a fine job.