Author Topic: Four "Foil Loved" St. Louis Half Racks  (Read 765 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Four "Foil Loved" St. Louis Half Racks
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
I had two full racks of St. Louis style ribs that I halved. One was coated with Susie Q's Santa Maria Seasoning, one with Jan's Rub, one with Sweet Heat Seasoning, and the last one with Costco's Sweet Mesquite Seasoning. They were then saran wrapped for a overnight stay in the fridge...

Then I fired up the Traeger and set the PID to 225F with a 50/50 cherry & maple pellet mix...

Smoke Daddy loaded with cherry wood chips...

Now onto the Traeger for 3 hours...

After 3 hours I removed them...

Each one got some FL(Foil Love). Butter,brown sugar, and honey then double foiled. Then they were placed back onto the Traeger face down for 2 more hours...

After 2 hours I removed them.

Sweet Mesquite...

Sweet Heat...

Jan's Rub...

Santa Maria Seasoning...

And my plate ;D

Side shot...

My final thoughts...

All four were very good. My fav in the following order  Jan's Rub, Sweet Mesquite, Sweet Heat, and the Santa Maria Rub.

One observation is that the rubs with salt produced the most tender, fall off the bone ribs. The Sweet Heat contains very little salt. Those ribs were tender but not fall off the bone tender like the others that have salt. I figure the tenderizing happened during the overnight stay in the fridge. That is something to consider when making ribs.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven