Author Topic: Smokin' Again  (Read 3043 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Smokin' Again
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:21:04 AM »
Once we got back from our France trip, it seemed that the bottom fell out on just about everything my wife and were trying to do.  It has been hectic, to say the least.  Our calendar was suddenly jam packed with things that must be done, yesterday.  It didn’t leave me a lot of time to do much cooking on my MAK.

The trip to France was great.  I was able to eat a lot of cuisine that is not generally available, especially in this part of NC.  I found myself trying to determine if I could prepare some of the dishes using my MAK.  It has taken a while, but I think I was able to come up with a menu for a meal that went from some appetizers to a wonderful dessert.  Here goes.
My wife came home from one of her book club meeting and said, “Here, try some this homemade pimento cheese.  It is really good!”  It was really good.  She got a copy of the recipe and I have since made it twice.  The second time I made it I decided to try add some chopped up pig candy.  The basic pimento cheese recipe comes from Victoria.com.  The ingredients are as follows:

2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup grated Monterey Jack
1 cup grated Pepper Jack
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup diced pimentos
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
You can add spiced nuts, bacon, or even more jalapenos if you so desire.

This is appetizer number one.  The basic recipe mixed in the bowl.

Bacon and Bacon Savor rub for making pig candy.

Pig candy off the MAK.

Everybody is mixed, in the bowl and ready to serve.  I like a touch of Slap Ya Momma on mine.

Appetizer number 2 is a bit different than any appetizers I have seen.  It is Pork Belly Confit.  It is Jim Drohman’s recipe in Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn’s book Charcuterie.  This is a somewhat labor/time intensive process, but it was worth every minute I spent putting it together.  And before anyone asks, yes, I would do it again. 

I made a half recipe, following their directions as closely as possible.  Two major differences, however.  First, I left the skin on the pork belly and scored it in a diamond pattern.  (I had further plans for the pork skin.)  After cooking the pork belly slowly in my Dutch oven, I cooled the pork belly overnight and then smoked it on my MAK with BD cherry pellets.

The pork belly, scored and ready to be seasoned. 

The spices have been rubbed into both sides of the pork belly.

The next step is to add the Pinot Grigio to the rubbed pork belly, and wait for about a day and a half.

The Dutch oven has enough lard melted into it to cover the pork belly, which I had to cut in half in order to make it fit properly.

After cooking the pork belly in the lard for several hours in the oven, the pork belly was removed and put on the MAK to get some cherry smoke.  This is the cut up pieces of the “meat” part of the pork belly, ready to be deep fried and served.

This is what it looks like after deep frying.

Now this is the reason I kept the skin on the pork belly.  I wanted to be able to make some brined, smoke flavored chicharones.  That Pinot Grigio brine was amazing.  It imparted a not-to-sweet flavor to the pork skins.

Here is an appetizer plate with some mixed greens topped with several pieces of Pork Belly Confit.  I drizzled a little blood orange EVOO on and around the greens.  This step really finished the appetizer.  The slightly crunchy outside of the confit and the inside that just melted in my mouth.

Time to put the main course together.  I bought several tri-tips a while back.  I now had enough time to try this one the MAK.  I started out with the glue, an espresso balsamic.

I put some Money on both sides and wrapped the tri-tip in plastic wrap and back into the refrigerator overnight.

In my haste to put everything together, I forgot to take any pictures while the meat was on the MAK.  I had the MAK set at 250.  However, I did keep an eye on the IT and pulled it when the meat was 125 in the thickest part.

This is what it looked like when I sliced it.  The chef’s piece while carving tasted great.  Wonderful flavor and it was fairly tender, too.   

I finally plated my portion.  From all the snacking beforehand, I limited myself to meat and tomatoes.  The tomatoes had some garlic EVOO with salt, pepper, and some dried basil.

For dessert I had made a cake from a recipe I copied off the Bradley Forum.  It was called Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Cake.  The first picture shows the 9x13 dish with a few pieces missing.  This cake was really good.  It would make a great breakfast cake with coffee in the morning.

I barely had any room left, but I couldn’t resist.  I had a small piece (with moo juice).

I will be taking samples of the cake to my neighbors.  I have to get it out of the house.  I could eat the whole thing by myself.

I hope it made you hungry, too.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smokin' Again
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
Looks like you are making up for lost time Art! The confit looks outrageous!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »
Wow Wow Wow wan you jump in to smoking you smoke a storm . i just head breakfast and you made me hungry aging .
this is a great smoke. how was your trip to France? did you bring new idea for smoking meat ;)
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »
Back with a vengeance Art!

Was someone having smoker withdrawals? ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
Oh my aching arteries  ::)

You just put into practice what Emeril Lagasse says so well, "It's a pig fat thing, baby!"

Any food nazi reading this post would automatically sentence you to a week of hard time eating only sprouts and tofu.  Good thing the food nazis stay away in droves from sites where real food is discussed and displayed  ;D

That pimento cheese recipe is quite similar to mine (my mom's actually).  To really lock up the old circulatory system, fill two slices of good bread (take your pick of type) with it as a sandwich then liberally coat the outside with butter.  Pan fry until the outside is nicely browned and the inside warm and gooey.  Goes well with a big bowl of chili.

Hub
'
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Smoking with an attitude.. you can tell this is a guy that missed his quality time with his smoker, and we are all benefiting from that!!!  Looking real good!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
I am so impressed with everything you did and posted.  WOW!  Wish I could find pork belly around here.  I order it all the time when on the menu in restaurants. I've probably had over a dozen different ways and love it.  Thanks  Phil
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

[faint] THUD!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
Back smoke'n ?     Hell your back in a big way!!!

All looks great it really does and great pictures
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »
I am just getting back into smokin' again, and off we go on another trip.  The bride has a trip planned to Hilton Head starting this weekend.  Maybe I can find something good to bring back to cook on my MAK. 

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Hub, T and I are planning a short day trip to Greensboro after I return home from HH.  Going to a Savory Spice store and a gourmet olive oil and balsamic vinegar store.  I wonder who will spend the most money at each store?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
I am so impressed with everything you did and posted.  WOW!  Wish I could find pork belly around here.  I order it all the time when on the menu in restaurants. I've probably had over a dozen different ways and love it.  Thanks  Phil

Phil, check out the pork belly pizza my son makes in his restaurant! I will be trying it when I go up the first week in June.

http://www.anyolthing.com/2012/03/22/z-pi-albemarle-nc/

Art that food looks awesome! Did you do all that in one day?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:06:56 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »
WOW!  What a great video.  Every dish looked wonderful.  I'll eat there when in NC, for sure.  Off to Key West, back in a week..... Phil
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Wow, after looking at all of this, I'm sure glad supper is only minutes away, 'cause I'm starving now!

Art, that confit of pork belly is totally off the hook my friend!

It's no wonder you won the weekly contest with this over at Pelletsmoking.com!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

Gotta go to Tampa, some of the Asian Supermarkets have them for sure.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
I am going to bump this up because of the pork belly confit I did several years ago.  I might have to do a sous vide version of this.  It might be easier (and less messy than cooking in the lard).  Thoughts anyone??

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11